Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you Support and Intermodal transportation Center For Brookhaven
Yes 17 58.62%
No 7 24.14%
We dont need one. I like the Traffic and $4 a gallon for gas. 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:42 PM

228 posts, read 810,698 times

Advertisements

How many people actually use public transportation in that part of Long Island. You need to present information and data, which indicates that their is a need for something like that. Nassau County is much denser than Suffolk. Hense the reason for a center in Mineola. Why would the MTA waste money on something in Eastern Suffolk people probally wont use. The only way I could envision using something like that is maybe once a year when I go to the Riverhead outlets. Other than that their is not a real need to invest that much money in a system like that. All the way out there. If they build your dream, which gets you from Brookhaven to Penn in a hour or so. It simple creates more suburban sprawl. If you want to live close to the city, live in Nassau, Queens, or Western Suffolk. If you want a nice backyard live in EaStern Suffolk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 07:52 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,182,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
How many people actually use public transportation in that part of Long Island. You need to present information and data, which indicates that their is a need for something like that. Nassau County is much denser than Suffolk. Hense the reason for a center in Mineola. Why would the MTA waste money on something in Eastern Suffolk people probally wont use. The only way I could envision using something like that is maybe once a year when I go to the Riverhead outlets. Other than that their is not a real need to invest that much money in a system like that. All the way out there. If they build your dream, which gets you from Brookhaven to Penn in a hour or so. It simple creates more suburban sprawl. If you want to live close to the city, live in Nassau, Queens, or Western Suffolk. If you want a nice backyard live in EaStern Suffolk.
How can they use public transportation when it sucks?

Medford is not Eastern suffolk.

Suffolks population eclipsed Nassau 10 years ago.

80% of Ronkonkomas ridership come from points East and are choking the 495 at rush.

Remember, the MTA/LIRR is funded by more taxpayers from Suffolk than Nassau, I think that should account for somthing other than a backyard.

Crooks

Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,411,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
How many people actually use public transportation in that part of Long Island. If you want a nice backyard live in EaStern Suffolk.

Are you serious? There are plenty of people using public trans. Just look at how overcrowded Ronk station is. I would bet, if it were built, more people would use public trans, instead of thier car. And Medford IS NOT eastern LI.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 AM

532 posts, read 1,271,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
How can they use public transportation when it sucks?

Medford is not Eastern suffolk.

Suffolks population eclipsed Nassau 10 years ago.

80% of Ronkonkomas ridership come from points East and are choking the 495 at rush.

Remember, the MTA/LIRR is funded by more taxpayers from Suffolk than Nassau, I think that should account for somthing other than a backyard.

Crooks
It's all about choices. Some chose to live further east for the slower pace cheaper and larger plots. There's a trade-off living 60 miles outside the city, longer commutes. Others choose to live close to the city, better ammenities, faster commute to work. For convenience you're trading in a bit of privacy, paying more and are agreeing to live in a fast paced, congested environment.

Where do we draw the line? I want to live in Montauk, it's beautiful. I pay taxes, why no express service? You make a reasonable argument, but there is no need to subsidize suburban sprawl on Long Island. The population is not growing, there is plenty of westward housing to be had. I have read a dozen posts comparing Nassau to Queens 20 years ago, and W Suffolk is the new Nassau, etc. Build more tracks and increase service further east and the sprawl will continue to grow. With the the housing reset there's plenty of housing to be had further west. Why not encourage those living too far east to move closer to the city rather than bringing the city out to them?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:31 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,392,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Are you serious? There are plenty of people using public trans. Just look at how overcrowded Ronk station is. I would bet, if it were built, more people would use public trans, instead of thier car. And Medford IS NOT eastern LI.
How is medford not eastern LI?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
How is medford not eastern LI?

You gotta get outta "funky nassau" more.

Crooks

Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
It's all about choices. Some chose to live further east for the slower pace cheaper and larger plots. There's a trade-off living 60 miles outside the city, longer commutes. Others choose to live close to the city, better ammenities, faster commute to work. For convenience you're trading in a bit of privacy, paying more and are agreeing to live in a fast paced, congested environment.

Where do we draw the line? I want to live in Montauk, it's beautiful. I pay taxes, why no express service? You make a reasonable argument, but there is no need to subsidize suburban sprawl on Long Island. The population is not growing, there is plenty of westward housing to be had. I have read a dozen posts comparing Nassau to Queens 20 years ago, and W Suffolk is the new Nassau, etc. Build more tracks and increase service further east and the sprawl will continue to grow. With the the housing reset there's plenty of housing to be had further west. Why not encourage those living too far east to move closer to the city rather than bringing the city out to them?
Excuse me...but wouldnt that be dumb?

If you moved 1.7 million people into Nassau.
Youd have Brooklyn.

(Ok Hicksville ...whos in?)

All Im saying is that there should be a more equitable distribution of service if we are ALL paying for it.

That simple fact is hard to argue with.

Besides we need beter INTRAisland transportation too.
(Bohemia/Hauppauge/110/Mineola/Lake Success etc etc etc)

Crooks

Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
You gotta get outta "funky nassau" more.

Crooks
Well...Medford certainly isn't "western LI"...

?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Well...Medford certainly isn't "western LI"...

?

Well...Medford certainly isn't eastern LI either.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
2 hours to NYC from Port Jefferson is a crime.
The MTA has left Brookhaven for dead.

Instead of the proposed Yaphank-Levyville... how's about an Intermodal transportation hub instead?.

Ronkonkoma is bursting at the seams.
495 is at a standstill from exit 64 in the AM rush.

Robert Moses was wrong and $4 a gallon changes everything.

Did Mineola really need an Intermodal Center when they're 10 mins from Hicksville and 15 mins from NYC Subways?

I think not.

LIRR Needs to rethink its boutique Nassau/Queens service in favor improving rider ship for ALL of Long Island.

If the MTA can get 75 Minute service to and from Newburg-Beacon to NYC, shouldnt Brookhaven expect the same?

This is an insult to Eastern Long Island.

Forget Levyville Steve.....Start thinking Exurbia.
Brookhaven doesn't need to create a sense of place when they already have one. What they need is in interconnectivity.

Welcome to the new Mineola Intermodal Center!
With convenient connections between the MTA Long Island Rail Road and MTA Long Island Bus, along with ample parking, the Mineola Intermodal Center plays a pivotal role in meeting Long Island's transportation needs. The facility, located on the south side of the Mineola, features four levels with more than 700 commuter parking spaces. The Center is a stop for seven LI Bus routes, making connections between the LIRR and LI Bus faster and easier. In addition travelers may use long-term parking if they are taking the LIRR to connect with AirTrain.
Other Highlights Include:
  • Two elevators connect commuter parking to the station platforms
  • A pedestrian overpass connects the north and south side of the station
  • Handicapped accessible parking spaces and revenue collection machines
  • On-premise offices for MTA Police, Long Island Bus Dispatch, and Facility Management
Audio Visual Paging System
An Audio Visual Paging System (AVPS) has been installed on each of the facility's four levels, so that customers will know which platform their train will arrive on, in advance.
Signs
Directional signs allow customers to move efficiently and quickly throughout the facility.
Parking Information:
To help maintain traffic flow, the Mineola Intermodal Center was designed for continuous entry and exit. In lieu of a gate-system, customers first park and then pay at one of the facility's 20 convenient pay stations (see below), which accept cash, credit cards and debit cards.
After parking customers should follow these easy payment steps:
  • Use keypad to enter your space #
  • Select amount of time
  • Insert payment (coins, bills, credit or debit cards)
  • Collect change/receipt
Hours of Operation: 24/7

Rates:
Short Term: $5 per day, up to 20 hours
Long Term: $10 per day/24 hours; 10-day maximum.
Funding for this project was provided through a Federal Transit Administration (FTA) grant and the MTA Long Island Rail Road Capital Program.

crookhavenwatch.blogspot.com
What they need to do is just make trains that run north & south...so if you want to go from Long Beach to New Hyde Park or something, you don't have to go to Jamaica first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island