Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 08:10 AM

5,296 posts, read 4,780,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I'm curious why people think LI is sooo much worse than everywhere else. Our property, local/county taxes are fairly low, offset by high sales and income tax (none of this is LI specific). The burden is school tax. Again, used to be LI specific, now a national phenomenon. Florida: Coral Springs/Sunshine, lower tax, Parkland/Weston? High tax. Why: the schools! Same county (Broward). Austin? Now more expensive than LI but schools a mess (and let's not even start on infrastructure, 20 yrs of straight growth, no public trans and toll roads going up everywhere. Traffic to make the LIE look like a go cart track). Heavy threat of magnets/charters by the influx of expat Cali/NYers bringing their money and "liberal" save our schools mantra = blown out school taxes! NY was first. Due to the upheaval, crime, recession of the 70's we traded no strikes/work stoppages for carte blanche step and contractual raises. Baked into the state constitution. Comparing LI to SC or Montana is ridiculous. Compare it to comparable metros and you mostly find they are developing the same unsustainable problems we have with comparable costs. The difference is LIers are ultra-gullible. They believe in nothing but will fork over dough to any Zeldinesque ding dong who tells them what they want to believe. "Greatest schools in the world? Check." "$30k per student to join the army, check!" In fact, our costs are going down...because we are in decline. If not for the covid exodus out of the city and massive Fed money printing, LI would be dying on the vine.
Good post monster. I can personally attest that I95 traffic in Broward can be a living hell lol.

Another metro I just want to throw in there is Austin TX. A buddy of mine has a pretty new house there 2800 sq feet. Property taxes almost 12k a year. I was shocked! It’s happening in a lot of places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 08:18 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I'm curious why people think LI is sooo much worse than everywhere else. Our property, local/county taxes are fairly low, offset by high sales and income tax (none of this is LI specific). The burden is school tax. Again, used to be LI specific, now a national phenomenon. Florida: Coral Springs/Sunshine, lower tax, Parkland/Weston? High tax. Why: the schools! Same county (Broward). Austin? Now more expensive than LI but schools a mess (and let's not even start on infrastructure, 20 yrs of straight growth, no public trans and toll roads going up everywhere. Traffic to make the LIE look like a go cart track). Heavy threat of magnets/charters by the influx of expat Cali/NYers bringing their money and "liberal" save our schools mantra = blown out school taxes! NY was first. Due to the upheaval, crime, recession of the 70's we traded no strikes/work stoppages for carte blanche step and contractual raises. Baked into the state constitution. Comparing LI to SC or Montana is ridiculous. Compare it to comparable metros and you mostly find they are developing the same unsustainable problems we have with comparable costs. The difference is LIers are ultra-gullible. They believe in nothing but will fork over dough to any Zeldinesque ding dong who tells them what they want to believe. "Greatest schools in the world? Check." "$30k per student to join the army, check!" In fact, our costs are going down...because we are in decline. If not for the covid exodus out of the city and massive Fed money printing, LI would be dying on the vine.
"worse" is of course relative, and you need to look at the all-in cost.

If you're living in some rural area and pay $500 a year in property taxes, chances are the schools are poorly rated and likely will need your kids to take a long bus ride. So either they'll be homeschooled or go away to private school.

In a state like Florida, as you mention, there are pockets of higher taxes and lower taxes. Generally the schools are much more inconsistent there than on LI. But from personal experience, I had a larger (and new) house with my kids in well-rated schools in Florida. With around 30-40% lower property taxes.

Now, I'm considered a "half back" in that I live in the Atlanta suburbs. Much bigger house than previously (3-4x the size as LI on an acre in a gated HOA community) and my property taxes are still around 1/4 lower than on LI where when my house was on the market listed "low, low taxes" in the description. Zoned schools are excellent.

So - they do exist elsewhere.

But - and this is a huge but - I don't have proximity to NYC, nor some family members still living on LI. I see the area turning from red to purple with a larger blue tinge, which means that over time, yes, the same problems will likely start. But what's saving my current area over what you're seeing on LI is high population growth. LI isn't really growing (except in Suffolk to a degree), it's replacing people exiting with NYC transplants.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Good post monster. I can personally attest that I95 traffic in Broward can be a living hell lol.

Another metro I just want to throw in there is Austin TX. A buddy of mine has a pretty new house there 2800 sq feet. Property taxes almost 12k a year. I was shocked! It’s happening in a lot of places
Austin is an outlier, but yes, it can get expensive. It's a major tech hub now and TX has no state income tax. Also, like NY, there used to be high increases (up to 8% a year) without requiring a vote. Now it's dropped to 3.5% for city/county and 2.5% for school taxes.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:25 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,829,015 times
Quote:

I lived in Austin in the late 90's and the boom was already happening. At the time, lots of subdivision sprawl outside the center and massive condo development downtown. Outside the lake area and Barton Springs I don't think there was a home over $1m bucks. My littlle apt was $450/mo, now it's $1600!! My buds $39k shotgun shack gets offers of a half mill daily by developers who want the whole block. It's Austin though, the lesbian hippie couple on the block will chain themselves to a tree before selling to developers so no one wins that one! lol Lots of celebrities buying. Imagine the post-Covid Hamptons. That's been Austin for 30 years.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:36 AM

5,296 posts, read 4,780,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Austin is an outlier, but yes, it can get expensive. It's a major tech hub now and TX has no state income tax. Also, like NY, there used to be high increases (up to 8% a year) without requiring a vote. Now it's dropped to 3.5% for city/county and 2.5% for school taxes.
That’s good god forbid NY does something similar.

Dallas and Houston property taxes although not as bad as Austin’s are not as cheap as most people up here would expect either

Old 12-23-2020, 09:05 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,336,025 times
Quote:

A rental we own 1/2 of in Tampa. 1600 sq ft ranch taxes are now $6400 sewer and garbage is another $1k it’s $7400 a year. 5 years ago it was $3400 in taxes. By 2025 the taxes will be over 10k. There are some 3400 sq ft homes on the street selling for 850k taxes are 13-14k on them. If it’s a desirable location it’s $$$ these days.

I95 blows, we have another place in one of the Miami vice era buildings in north Miami. It’s brutal the traffic going from parkland to Miami on 95.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:25 AM

20,102 posts, read 20,903,532 times
Florida is like the real life version of the Island Of Misfit Toys.
It’s like Lawn Guyland’s southern tier.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
A rental we own 1/2 of in Tampa.
That's the problem - no homestead exemption with cap on increases to 3%.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Florida is like the real life version of the Island Of Misfit Toys.
It’s like Lawn Guyland’s southern tier.
Only on the Atlantic side. On the Gulf side it's full of Yoopers drinking pop you betcha.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:48 AM

1,107 posts, read 554,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
gx89, no amount of reasoning will take denseness out of you. Enjoy paying 13k for 6 hours worth of unskilled labor, lunch included.
What do you care how much he pays for anything? It's not coming out of your pocket. He earned it, he decides how to spend it or what's worth it.

You have so much resentment inside of you. This is about much more than quality of construction. Anyone who gets so disturbed over what other people feel or do, when it doesn't affect his life at all, has some real issues.

My house happens to be made out of reinforced concrete block, but I'd rather live in a shack with my attitude than live anywhere else with yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island