Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2020, 11:04 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times

Advertisements

^^ There you go, you have it all figured out. Now go get that foreclosure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 12:32 PM

297 posts, read 196,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ There you go, you have it all figured out. Now go get that foreclosure!
Already had one - but am wondering about prospects of my kids. Might be better to get out of here considering schools are garbo as well.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
Its easy to fight high property taxes here. Just buy something foreclosed, grieve down taxes, and make it a dream house without any permits and if someone comes to check, show them the fk you sign.

The one thing this country has right is it's constitution. If they want money for their corruption, I have to right to my corruption as well. I do feel bad for those that play by their rules. Notice, it's not "the rules", it's "their rules".
First off that doesn’t work in Nassau. The house will be assessed based off the sale price of comparable homes not the foreclosure price. In Suffolk it doesn’t matter since you don’t get a tax hit for improving your home unless you expand the footprint. As some that has purchased foreclosures, it’s never that easy, they are always F’d up missing copper, electric cut, tenant won’t leave etc.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:42 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,008 times
Quote:
Already had one - but am wondering about prospects of my kids. Might be better to get out of here considering schools are garbo as well.
Now you're being disingenuous. Clearly your distaste for Long Island has affected your ability to be factually objective. Maybe it is better for you to get out of here.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
First off that doesn’t work in Nassau. The house will be assessed based off the sale price of comparable homes not the foreclosure price. In Suffolk it doesn’t matter since you don’t get a tax hit for improving your home unless you expand the footprint. As some that has purchased foreclosures, it’s never that easy, they are always F’d up missing copper, electric cut, tenant won’t leave etc.
The sale price is the foreclosure price if you buy it at the foreclosure price at auction. And most people go check to see if the house has squatters or if foundation is damaged.

Legally they can’t give you the keys but most agents representing theses houses drop it off “anonymously” to not get in trouble and it works out very well for the rest of us. Ask me how I know.

Taxes would get grieved the following year from 15to 8k. Ask me how I know too.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:56 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
^So you pay $8k in taxes and are still complaining about it?

Old 12-17-2020, 01:03 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
The sale price is the foreclosure price if you buy it at the foreclosure price at auction. And most people go check to see if the house has squatters or if foundation is damaged.

Legally they can’t give you the keys but most agents representing theses houses drop it off “anonymously” to not get in trouble and it works out very well for the rest of us. Ask me how I know.

Taxes would get grieved the following year from 15to 8k. Ask me how I know too.
Not anymore Nassau doesn’t count none arms length transaction, short sales and foreclosures for tax purposes. With reassement if taxes are 8 and where 15 lets avg them after the 5 years phase in they will be back to 14-15 as they would be 11.5k today.

What see you talking about, we get the keys when we close on foreclosures. There is almost never a realtor involved as we buy directly from a bank or local Gov. Here homes aren’t listed on the mls.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
8k in property taxes in Cali gets you a house in Beverly Hills, not some small shack in a cold island with poor jobs and where idiots like you think it’s great to live. This island is a disaster and everyone has almost left.

If you’re puzzled why I’m still posting here, you’re right about being puzzled, but what’s more puzzling is why you are in denial

Old 12-17-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Not anymore Nassau doesn’t count none arms length transaction, short sales and foreclosures for tax purposes. With reassement if taxes are 8 and where 15 lets avg them after the 5 years phase in they will be back to 14-15 as they would be 11.5k today.

What see you talking about, we get the keys when we close on foreclosures. There is almost never a realtor involved as we buy directly from a bank or local Gov. Here homes aren’t listed on the mls.
Every house has keys, wether I be for sale or not. If someone wants to buy the home and squatters ain’t paying the mortgage or taxes, the banks and agents aren’t stupid. They let you in as long as you are willing to buy. Of course for this you need to hand them extra cash under table for selling you the house because their comission isn’t that big.

Now if you are upset about reality, that’s a different story.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Let me turn the table here.

What could you be possibly getting for 8k here that you can’t get anywhere else?

Almost every other state and country has twice the quality of education, medical facilities and attraction than this pos place.

Tell me right now what you are smoking because maybe you are on DisneyLand Avenue in Town of Magic Kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island