Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM

126 posts, read 222,353 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't worry about needing 200 amps over 150 unless you are running serious power tools and need lots of circuits for them. We had central air (in the desert, no less!) when our panel was only 60 amps, and we also had an electric range, dryer, etc. We would only pop the occasional breaker when we had the microwave, fridge and air compressor for tools running all on the same circuit simultaneously. The AC was never a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 08:44 PM

251 posts, read 589,515 times
spoke to an electrician friend today. also confirmed all i need is 150.......200 is nice, but 150 will be fine base on what we need and plan to do in the future.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:55 PM

106,938 posts, read 109,196,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
You need to understand just how much full load amperage, the AC unit will draw, and start calculating the amount of amperage that all of your other electrical appliances will demand when active.
Once you are aware of the usage required while maintaining a balanced load on the main, you will be able to determine whether or not you will have a problem. My advice would be for you to install the
central air unit, and put it into your electrical panel as an independent, dedicated branch circuit breaker, in line with an amperage value equal to, or slightly greater than the AC will demand.
You may also need to brush up on Ohm's Law!
Actually ohms law in its basic form does not work for ac power as it applys to dc.

For ac you have to substitute resistance with impedance values and that adds a whole new set of calculations that are needed to be worked in.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:34 AM

25 posts, read 68,961 times
As already stated on this post, many home buyers look for 200amps when buying these days. If you aren't selling, 150 should be enough for your needs, though if you have personal computers that draw a lot of power (high end graphics cards tend to do this) and a lot of electronics + microwave + refrigerator + range + freezer + washer/dryer, all running electric, you might want to splurge for the extra amperage. These days, modern electronics are everywhere and tend to draw a lot of current (even if they use less than they once did). Make sure your lines are balanced.

When I bought my house 3 years ago, I had it upgraded form 100amps to 200amps. Combined with adding a new 20 amp line to one room of the house, installing a new mast (the old one was falling apart), and installing two additional 20 amp lines in my basement, the total cost was $3000.00.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 AM

6 posts, read 14,377 times
my house has 100 amp service. it has an 240v electric stove, 240v electric dryer, 240v central air, forced hot air heat and a large in ground pool with a 240v pump among all of the normal electric loads. The main never pops, the breaker box doesn't hum or get hot. If you have 150 amp service you will be more then supplied for what you want to do. I am upgrading the service to 200 amp as we speak, but only because we have done major renovations and rewired most of the house.

Think about the reality of modern appliances, the ones from today draw half or in some cases a third of what the older ones did, and until 15 or 20 years ago 60 or 100 amp service was the standard in any house. 20 years ago central air units were huge electric draws, but now they are preety low draw with minimal start up spikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island