Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 05:27 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,475,160 times

Advertisements

I'm renting an apartment and I noticed something strange and I hope you can tell me if this is safe or not.

All the rooms have a lot of electrical outlets. An example would be one of the bedrooms. It's about 12 x 8 and it has 4 outlets. One of them work off the wall switch and the rest just work regularly. Same in the other bedroom.... 4 outlets. The livingroom as well.

Any apartment I've ever lived in may have had 1 or 2 outlets in the bedrooms and 1 or 2 in the livingroom.

Is this safe to have so many outlets? I mean, in the bedroom, if I'm running a TV, cablebox, clock radio, and a lamp, is that too much "pull" on the power? Could it cause a fire? What if I'm running everything and decide to blow dry my hair?

I just don't get why there are so many outlets in such small rooms......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 05:51 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,548,591 times
Not to worry its a good thing and the room was brought up to code.

A quick rule of thumb is that there should be an outlet every 12 feet and its common to have one on every wall in a bedroom.

The switched outlet is for a lamp, because the room did not have a light installed in on the ceiling (atleast at one time).

The reason for so many outlets is to reduce or eliminate the use of extension cords ( a real fire hazard).

Any extension cord is for "temporary use only".

Old 10-20-2008, 06:03 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,475,160 times
Thanks, KB! I was really worried about this because I've never seen such a thing. I've been walking around with wet hair for the past couple of months because I was afraid to use the blow dryer. LOL!!

I guess I can now blow dry in peace

Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,765,315 times
Most older homes do not have enough outlets for today's lifestyle. Over the years every time that I have remodeled a room I have added lots of outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island