Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:16 AM

65 posts, read 462,087 times

Advertisements

When buying a new house that not yet completely finished - If we negotiate a price that's lower than the price he really wanted, will the builder be tempted to use cheaper materials to finish the job?

In such cases, is the realtor enough to help us draw up the contract, or should we hire a real estate lawyer as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 06:36 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Builders will generally use the cheapest materials and labor that they can get away with no matter what neighborhood they're in.

How far is the house along? I've had three built and even watching the building of my current home like a hawk they got away with a few things that I had them fixed after we moved in. We've been in the house 10 years and I recently found out that they used a bad cold water shutoff valve in my kitchen. So many times the cut corner may not be obvious.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:53 AM

65 posts, read 462,087 times
How far is the house along? No sheetrock yet.

I don't know anything about construction, so I won't be able to tell even if I'm watching like a hawk and their cut corners are obvious!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:08 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,920,896 times
I think if you are that serious about the home then you will want an inspection prior to making an offer anyway (400-600 dollars) - an engineer will be able to tell you everything you need to know about materials etc. what is left to be done, and the overall quality to the point the home is in currently. Also an engineer works for you and will give an objective opinion - something that RE agents don't always do.

And yes your going to need a RE lawyer anyway so after you get an inspection have the lawyer put everything, I mean everything that needs to be done in writing. Have the seller or agent provide a list of materials - type, brand, etc and where they will be purchased - home depot is always lower quality anything. Make sure if they say a x brand facet will be installed have it in the contract so if you get something else you have something to go back to them with - after completion you might want to bring the engineer back before you close to make sure things are up to snuff.

There is a house forum here that might help with some other details etc as they become known. gl!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:16 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
If you need site improvements, a water well or septic system, HIRE YOUR OWN. Suppliers make sub-standard supplies for these jobs. A home inspection will not show this.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If you need site improvements, a water well or septic system, HIRE YOUR OWN. Suppliers make sub-standard supplies for these jobs. A home inspection will not show this.
True once things are buried then an engineer can only test flow rate of the water and septic - turning all facets on for 20-30 minutes. There you might have to take a leap of faith until you can find out who did the work and materials used.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:28 AM

Also you are in a good position to pick the final materials - you may want to think about going for higher quality vs. negotiate a lower price. Then you know what you are getting.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:21 AM

81 posts, read 349,846 times
You are in a good position to pick out your final materials kitchen cabs,fixtures and so on,it is possible for you to purchase these items at a cheaper cost,and you will have peace of mind of what you are getting.
Every phases of your project has to be inspected by the town,right down to the insulation.So at least there is some sort of guidline and quality control.

Yes builders are cheap,but their defense the quality of materials that are available these days is poor to say the least.
I have been in the business for 25 long years,and I can honestly say that the quality of materials and workmanship is at an all time low.It's amazing anything gets done at all!!
Just watch your project closely and ask alot of questions..and always write things down.

good luck

Old 08-05-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
True once things are buried then an engineer can only test flow rate of the water and septic - turning all facets on for 20-30 minutes. There you might have to take a leap of faith until you can find out who did the work and materials used.
Flow rate is a good thing to check, but some drillers use galvanized fittings rather than bass, water pumps that will not code.....on ans on, all legal. I have drilled for new homes that the system is less than a year old. Look at SQE systems, they are great. Constant Pressure Systems will pump as much as you want, in the areas you want. It is computer controlled, with a veritable speed pump.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:02 AM

BTY, flow tests should be taken after 4 hours of pumping. Yep, it could take that long to show a drop in pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island