Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 AM

592 posts, read 921,439 times

Advertisements

So LIPA finally decides to trim back all of the trees anywhere near 20 miles of their powers lines. That's great and they should have done this 5 years ago but what is up with them leaving the branches all over the streets? I literally had to get out of my car the other day and move a branch that they threw near my driveway. Also, there's branches sticking out in the streets everywhere that weren't two weeks ago- LIPA's doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,061,703 times
Wow, this is your complaint? You had to move a branch? There are still people who can't live in their homes and you had to move a branch. Do you complain to USPS if they leave the flag on your mailbox SLIGHTLY up and you have to push it down a half an inch?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:53 AM

286 posts, read 418,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Wow, this is your complaint? You had to move a branch? There are still people who can't live in their homes and you had to move a branch. Do you complain to USPS if they leave the flag on your mailbox SLIGHTLY up and you have to push it down a half an inch?
No kidding.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:41 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,416,066 times
This is typical long island behavior. People need to worry about real issues.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,767,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
This is typical long island behavior. People need to worry about real issues.
With so many things LIer's have to cope with in the struggle of daily life, I think something seemingly as minor as a tree branch strewn across your driveway becomes a big deal, just the way someone on the train talking loudly on their cellphone becomes such an annoyance. In the big scheme, 30 mins or 60 mins later, you'll never see the inconsiderate cell phoner again, so was getting pissed off even worth it?

I interpret this post as, "... I pay LIPA more than enough not only to maintain the lines and infrastructure, but also to clean up after themselves..." and I think that's fair.

For some people, constantly repressing these feelings, these complaints and putting a happy face on creates an even more volatile, resentful condition. I think you see this all the time on LI's highways, where bedlam and hostility is the rule.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,728,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
With so many things LIer's have to cope with in the struggle of daily life, I think something seemingly as minor as a tree branch strewn across your driveway becomes a big deal, just the way someone on the train talking loudly on their cellphone becomes such an annoyance. In the big scheme, 30 mins or 60 mins later, you'll never see the inconsiderate cell phoner again, so was getting pissed off even worth it?

I interpret this post as, "... I pay LIPA more than enough not only to maintain the lines and infrastructure, but also to clean up after themselves..." and I think that's fair.

For some people, constantly repressing these feelings, these complaints and putting a happy face on creates an even more volatile, resentful condition. I think you see this all the time on LI's highways, where bedlam and hostility is the rule.
If somebody is that over the edge with Long Island, to the point that a single branch infuriates them, they should've left already.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,061,703 times
I was wondering if there was a way to get out of your car figuratively instead of literally

Old 12-02-2012, 01:04 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,767,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
If somebody is that over the edge with Long Island, to the point that a single branch infuriates them, they should've left already.
That's not always as easy and logical as it sounds. I agree, though.

What I've found, unless you can put all of this noise into perspective, there will be other things that are annoying where ever you move to. The key is if you can live here and not let all of these things bother you, you'll be content anywhere.

Like I've said, though, I understand where OP is coming from and why. Just don't let it ruin your day. There's just too much of it on LI.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:21 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,479,475 times
Wait... so the guys who are paid to ensure the lines don't come down should be able to just leave their junk all over? Who knew.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,728,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
That's not always as easy and logical as it sounds. I agree, though.

What I've found, unless you can put all of this noise into perspective, there will be other things that are annoying where ever you move to. The key is if you can live here and not let all of these things bother you, you'll be content anywhere.

Like I've said, though, I understand where OP is coming from and why. Just don't let it ruin your day. There's just too much of it on LI.
I understand where you're coming from...I plan to leave Long Island within the next 13 months myself (y'all are still stuck with me, though, I'll still be posting here ).

That said, I still stand by what I said-- if the branch annoys somebody to the point of starting a thread, they need to face the inconvenience of moving and just leave. Either that, or get a new perspective on life.

Long Island may not be the ideal place to live, but it's certainly not the hell hole you're making it sound like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island