Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,766,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
That is a crock of shiiite. Not a suprise w/LIPA involved. In other parts of the country (up here included) where common sense is applied, tree trimming crews actually have an apparatus that converts branches and whatnot into woodchips!!!!!!!!!!!!! The chips are then dispersed AWAY from the roads and used as groundcover! Reading all these posts just continue to reiterate the fact that Long Island is a huge clusterfung that is a couple of generations away from being the Utopia that is was in the 1960's-70's. The whole system is still designed to suck as much money as possible from the citizens who choose to live there. Very sad when one has grown up there and is now able to observe from a distance
I think you've summarized the situation well... Having grown up here, I can tell you this is not the same place it was even just 25 years ago.

Although, car theft rates have plummeted here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 AM

400 posts, read 762,376 times
I dont think the OP was specifically concerned about "one" branch, but the entire situation (if it is indeed the case) of LIPA cutting trees and leaving them everywhere. Moving one branch is no big deal, but how about 5,000 branches strewn accross the county/town.... Is that ok too?

Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM

414 posts, read 809,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
I dont think the OP was specifically concerned about "one" branch, but the entire situation (if it is indeed the case) of LIPA cutting trees and leaving them everywhere. Moving one branch is no big deal, but how about 5,000 branches strewn accross the county/town.... Is that ok too?

I agree, this is not a one single branch problem. A lot of folks on here love to jump all over someone with idiotic remarks and take a whole issue to a different level. I've seen all sorts of town trucks and tree service trucks dropping cut branches out the back of their trucks all over the place. Its not a silly complaint, it's downright dangerous!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:22 PM

20,089 posts, read 20,897,502 times
By me there are still large amounts of broken branches still dangling from utility lines.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,766,037 times
What a mess! Is it any surprise the leadership @ LIPA is resigning, one-at-a-time?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,750,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
I agree, this is not a one single branch problem. A lot of folks on here love to jump all over someone with idiotic remarks and take a whole issue to a different level. I've seen all sorts of town trucks and tree service trucks dropping cut branches out the back of their trucks all over the place. Its not a silly complaint, it's downright dangerous!
Agree with both the sentiments here and the OP. This is the mentality of much of the publicly run services on LI... "FYIGM!". The fact that all these services come at a huge premium is a double slap in the face.

A little OT but related, the recycling crews sometimes leave shards of broken glass in the street and in the grass after recycling day. I find glass, cans and other debris in the street regularly after they get through with their rushed job. It's a disgrace that we pay so much for these services and receive crap in return.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM

734 posts, read 1,637,462 times
I don't know where this is happening. I live in a very heavily treed area and all the debris was cleaned up. They did a good job.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 AM

3,529 posts, read 5,714,687 times
New LIPA complaint.

I have some tree branches interfering with my service line coming from the pole in the backyard to my house. LIPA came and cleared them earlier in June, no issue.

During Sandy, some of the branches twisted and now are back in the service line. Lineman who repaired my block said call in a couple of weeks and have them cleared out. Called, cust svd said yep, its their problem. LIPA came yesterday and left a note saying its not their issue, that routine maintenance of is now my problem.?

WTF? If they are responsible for the line and did and cleared it before, why the hassle now?

Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,690,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
New LIPA complaint.

I have some tree branches interfering with my service line coming from the pole in the backyard to my house. LIPA came and cleared them earlier in June, no issue.

During Sandy, some of the branches twisted and now are back in the service line. Lineman who repaired my block said call in a couple of weeks and have them cleared out. Called, cust svd said yep, its their problem. LIPA came yesterday and left a note saying its not their issue, that routine maintenance of is now my problem.?

WTF? If they are responsible for the line and did and cleared it before, why the hassle now?
It sounds like a new way to keep your rates from going up,be carefull when you trim near the top set of wires going to your house they carry 220 volts (just joking)Don't do it!!!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 AM

3,529 posts, read 5,714,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
New LIPA complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
It sounds like a new way to keep your rates from going up,be carefull when you trim near the top set of wires going to your house they carry 220 volts (just joking)Don't do it!!!
I'm not trimming them and I'm not hiring someone to do it and pay out of my pocket for something that is not my responsibility. The fact that LIPA was at my house earlier this year and cleared the lines on their dime only reinforces the fact that they are responsible for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island