Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:54 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,531,195 times

Advertisements

I've been on the "budgeted billing" with LIPA since we moved into our new apartment in August. I have a 2BR apartment and they budgeted me at $77/mo. Well, my usage has been less than that and they averaged my usage at around $50/mo so they're going to change my budgeted billing to reflect the $50/mo.

Of course, I'm glad my bill is going to be less (and am going to find ways to get it even lower!) but what I'm wondering is, with winter coming upon us, is my usage going to go higher? The thermostat in our apartment is electric.... does that mean I'm using electricity alll the time the heat is on? Or is it just when I adjust the thermostat when I go out, come home, go to bed? (I turn it down to 60 when I go out, 70 when I come home, and 60-65 when I go to bed, depending on the weather)

Please forgive me for not having a clue here..... At our old apartment, we didn't pay electric and didn't control the heat and when I lived in NYC, I never really paid attention to this type of thing and my Con Ed bill was maybe $30/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 06:26 AM

123 posts, read 581,853 times
As far as what I understand about their budget billing.. They take the 3 previous months and average it out and thats the amount you pay. They do this every 3 months to get to the average
(well at least thats what I was told).
Also i think their budget billin is on a 9 month rotion and if you happen to owe them money by lets say
in month # 4 ur bill is $70 but they have you billed at $50 because ur on a budget that means in the end you still owe them $20 but I was told this will be factored in at the end of the 9 months. So the last 3 months ur bill may be a lot higher

Old 11-02-2008, 10:44 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,607,681 times
IMO, just pay what you owe. I did that program for two years and they were fast to move the monthly rate higher and slow to lower it.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:25 PM

19 posts, read 56,075 times
Same here, with Keyspan we now pay for what we use monthly!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 PM

I'm also wondering about the electric thermostat.... Does that mean I'm using electricity whenever the heat is on? Or only when I turn it up or down?

Old 11-03-2008, 06:07 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,607,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I'm also wondering about the electric thermostat.... Does that mean I'm using electricity whenever the heat is on? Or only when I turn it up or down?
Its using electricity whenever it produces heat. It will turn on when the room temp falls below the setting.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:37 PM

Thank you

Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 PM

75 posts, read 314,328 times
Electric heat can be very expensive!

I had electric heat in an apt once when I lived in CT. Our electric bill would triple during the winter months.

You can call LIPA and ask them what the average bill, for the last tenant, was last winter or ask your landlord.

I would put some money aside each month so you aren't caught with your pants down in a few months.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 11-05-2008, 06:00 PM

I keep my heat pretty low and when I go out and at night, I turn it almost all the way down. I'm hoping that will save me on electric cost.

I'll give LIPA a call and see what they say.

Thank you!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,478,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I keep my heat pretty low and when I go out and at night, I turn it almost all the way down. I'm hoping that will save me on electric cost.

I'll give LIPA a call and see what they say.

Thank you!
Are you sure it's electric HEAT you are talking about or just the electricity the thermostat itself uses?

Electric heat is pretty rare on Long Island (anybody: correct me if I am mistaken about this). I have heard electric heat is common in other areas of the country though.

Usually heat in houses and apartment buildings on Long Island are oil or gas.

The only LEGAL way a tenant is responsible to pay their own is if they have their own separate oil or gas burner and hot water heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island