Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:28 PM

57,380 posts, read 26,505,558 times

Advertisements

Schumer is proposing a 120 mile Army Corp of Engineers project to protect from the Rockaways to Montauk, some legislators in NY City have also proposed similar projects for lower Manhattan. The man-made dunes in NJ actually worked quite well for the shoreline communities in NJ, but some homeowners resisted the 20 ft high dunes because they obstructed their view of the ocean.

Dunes will work to a certain extent, but this is a temporary fix and where are we getting the money, the country, state, counties, villages are broke, and if they weren't broke before Sandy they are now. Do we continue to pile up sand on the beach as a solution or do we start a long term solution with a phased approach to buying out homeowners in high risk areas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/15/ny...st-repair.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 PM

126 posts, read 228,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Schumer is proposing a 120 mile Army Corp of Engineers project to protect from the Rockaways to Montauk, some legislators in NY City have also proposed similar projects for lower Manhattan. The man-made dunes in NJ actually worked quite well for the shoreline communities in NJ, but some homeowners resisted the 20 ft high dunes because they obstructed their view of the ocean.

Dunes will work to a certain extent, but this is a temporary fix and where are we getting the money, the country, state, counties, villages are broke, and if they weren't broke before Sandy they are now. Do we continue to pile up sand on the beach as a solution or do we start a long term solution with a phased approach to buying out homeowners in high risk areas.

Schumer and Gillibrand Seek $1 Billion for N.Y. Coast Repair - NYTimes.com

Tool - Aenema (Lyrics and Meaning) - YouTube

Old 11-15-2012, 07:59 PM

629 posts, read 1,707,263 times
Quote:
Dunes will work to a certain extent, but this is a temporary fix and where are we getting the money, the country, state, counties, villages are broke, and if they weren't broke before Sandy they are now.
Very simple solution to financing this - just institute a "temporary" 10-year Long Island income tax of a modest 10%.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,365,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Brewster View Post
I'm not following how flushing Los Angeles helps us with Hurricane Sandy. I mean, sure-it will help us feel better for a day or two but we still have to deal with our problems.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I'm not following how flushing Los Angeles helps us with Hurricane Sandy. I mean, sure-it will help us feel better for a day or two but we still have to deal with our problems.

Read the lyrics, change "LA" to "LI",,,change "Arizona" to something more fitting, use your imagination and see how fitting this song is.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,190,728 times
Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/15/ny...st-repair.html
Sand dunes in OBX are maintained and mandatory. Also the houses build behind them are built higher than the dunes and have great views.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:03 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,365,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Brewster View Post
Read the lyrics, change "LA" to "LI",,,change "Arizona" to something more fitting, use your imagination and see how fitting this song is.

Oh, so i'm supposed to use metaphor or something? Change the lyrics around so that it "Fits" a point you are trying to make huh? Well, If you change the words around it becomes a different song. If it becomes a different song, we should use an Artist more known to the LI area. I think Billy Joel fits nicely.
Please delete your confusing, out of place Tool video with "Uptown Girl" and we'll talk.

Or...

Simply make you point: Let LI be washed away by the sea.
Was that difficult?

That said, your song choice still doesn't fit because if LI was washed away by the sea, we wouldn't gain any new ocean front (LIke the song references Arizona). New Jersey, Connecticut and Rhode Island already have waterfront that would remained unchanged should LI be washed away (The LI Sound would become ocean of course).
Basically, your song selection simply doesn't work. Sorry, try again. I like Tool as well but I don't think their lyrics fit every situation like you do.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Oh, so i'm supposed to use metaphor or something? Change the lyrics around so that it "Fits" a point you are trying to make huh? Well, If you change the words around it becomes a different song. If it becomes a different song, we should use an Artist more known to the LI area. I think Billy Joel fits nicely.
Please delete your confusing, out of place Tool video with "Uptown Girl" and we'll talk.

Or...

Simply make you point: Let LI be washed away by the sea.
Was that difficult?

That said, your song choice still doesn't fit because if LI was washed away by the sea, we wouldn't gain any new ocean front (LIke the song references Arizona). New Jersey, Connecticut and Rhode Island already have waterfront that would remained unchanged should LI be washed away (The LI Sound would become ocean of course).
Basically, your song selection simply doesn't work. Sorry, try again. I like Tool as well but I don't think their lyrics fit every situation like you do.
....and?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:23 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,488,800 times
How about we stop building on beaches and barrier islands which are structurally unsound and not feasible to protect? It is not hard. We go through this same nonsense every time a big storm comes up. Asharoken gets impassable, Dune road is washed out, Fire Island has had breaches several times before, homes on canals get flooded, ad infinitum.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM

57,380 posts, read 26,505,558 times
There were areas in NJ that flooded 3 years in a row, the government representatives finally noticed the pattern and are going to do a phased buyout. NJ had some really severe flooding problems inland and around 50, 100 year flood plain that is happening in shorter intervals. Just rebuilding in places like Long Beach, the Rockaways, Staten Island and particulary Fire Island is futile. They should restore the dunes in these locations, pavement is not a good protection against storm surge.

One more storm like Irene or Sandy and they might pay attention. I think the price of flood insurance just went up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island