Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 PM

20,176 posts, read 20,962,201 times

Advertisements

Gov buyout. Pay fair market value for anything within 5 miles of the shore and level it all and leave it as open unbuildable space. Game over. That would include my home. I honestly believe an event like this will become more frequent than every 50 or 100 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 PM

629 posts, read 1,702,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Gov buyout. Pay fair market value for anything within 5 miles of the shore and level it all and leave it as open unbuildable space. Game over. That would include my home. I honestly believe an event like this will become more frequent than every 50 or 100 years.
Why should the government buy you out? If the government forced you to buy your house - I might be able to understand your desire for them to buy you out - but YOU CHOSE to buy hour house - right? We have to assume that if you were intelligent enough to earn the money to buy your house - that you were also intelligent enough to understand the risk you were taking when you did so - right? Expecting the "government" to buy you out means that you expect OTHERS (like those of us who made the more prudent decision to live away from the shore) to foot the bill for your poor decision.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,479,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Why should the government buy you out? If the government forced you to buy your house - I might be able to understand your desire for them to buy you out - but YOU CHOSE to buy hour house - right? We have to assume that if you were intelligent enough to earn the money to buy your house - that you were also intelligent enough to understand the risk you were taking when you did so - right? Expecting the "government" to buy you out means that you expect OTHERS (like those of us who made the more prudent decision to live away from the shore) to foot the bill for your poor decision.
Flood insurance... whoever claims it takes that insurance cash and the people of the US then own the land.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:03 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,332,036 times
Barrier islands come and go over relatively short periods of time. Trying to rebuild shore areas is throwing away money. What we do need to do is harden up our infrastructure, modernize the power grid, do a better job of waterproofing the subways and transportation networks. We should leave barrier islands undeveloped, let the maritime forest grow back where homes once were. The forest and natural dunes will hold these islands together. Part of this disaster was our own making, by having too much development along the shore, destruction of the maritime forests, dunes, and marshes has only made flooding worse.
We cannot stop the ocean but instead adapt, but I see politicians still have no problem literally throwing money away into the ocean!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Brewster View Post
Read the lyrics, change "LA" to "LI",,,change "Arizona" to something more fitting, use your imagination and see how fitting this song is.

Long Island would never fully wash away like you're thinking..worst case scenario, it might look something like this-

---

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Schumer is proposing a 120 mile Army Corp of Engineers project to protect from the Rockaways to Montauk, some legislators in NY City have also proposed similar projects for lower Manhattan. The man-made dunes in NJ actually worked quite well for the shoreline communities in NJ, but some homeowners resisted the 20 ft high dunes because they obstructed their view of the ocean.
Dunes will work to a certain extent, but this is a temporary fix and where are we getting the money, the country, state, counties, villages are broke, and if they weren't broke before Sandy they are now. Do we continue to pile up sand on the beach as a solution or do we start a long term solution with a phased approach to buying out homeowners in high risk areas.*
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/15/ny...st-repair.html
After seeing some more aerial videos of the barrier islands, I'm starting to think $7k a year for insurance on the highest risk areas is actually a bargain! Holy crap, Fire Island looks like a kid losing in monopoly smashed the board with his fist. I thought long beach was bad, geez.
Not to downplay the storm, but this was more an indirect blow from a strong tropical storm than anything like Gloria (Category 3 gusts). Granted, the angle it came in definitely maximized storm surge, but as far as a wind event, it didnt come close to a
real hurricane. <God help us if we ever get hit by a Gloria type hurricane again. We would have month long, possibly year-long power outages I would think, judging from LIPA's handling of Sandy.

I'm mixed on what we should do about this. Buyouts would cost a boatload plus loss of future tax revenues. Unless perhaps we turn them into year-round beaches and recoup some money that way. Buying out 5 miles from the water is ridiculous..you'd wipe out a third of LI. And what about the people on the bay who only had minimal flooding?

If we're gonna start somewhere, the 120 mile army corps defense system might be a good start. Maybe the Feds can start using some of that tax money we've been sending them for decades.
Attached Thumbnails
Sandy - Where do we go from here-li-rp.jpg  

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-17-2012 at 12:03 AM..

Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 PM

126 posts, read 227,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Long Island would never fully wash away like you're thinking..worst case scenario, it might look something like this-

---

---

I realize that. The entire song kinda fits...from people fretting over material things to a government that's a circus sideshow of freaks...who wouldn't love to see all of that flushed away?

And it answers the original question poised on this thread succinctly: Learn to swim

Old 11-17-2012, 04:32 AM

20,176 posts, read 20,962,201 times
I didn't plan this bull****. My house is an area that never had flood issues.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 AM

909 posts, read 1,840,442 times
There are actually some that were proactive after Irene and raised there home up. One of these houses was on the canal in between IP and harbor isle. The job is expensive and not all could afford it but if you are looking for waterfront living then the homeowner should foot the bill not the govt. My home is <1 mile from the bay and I didn't have any flooding issues.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,999,043 times
Back to are boring 9-5 lives.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:28 AM

853 posts, read 1,446,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You joke, no?
If you wanted to live so close to the water, then YOU and YOU ALONE should have to pay for the consequences. Did ya ever hear of FLOOD INSURANCE? Get some! Leave the government out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island