Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 PM

57,380 posts, read 26,556,466 times

Advertisements

Disasters are unavoidable but there needs to be some sensible restoration if these properties are going to be subsidized with federal dollars. We had 2 hurrcanes in 2 years not to mention the big noreaster in fall 2010 and some other noreasters and tropical storms. You look at the proximity to the water and I don't see how some of these homes will not be in trouble when the next storm comes, next year or a few years but it will come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 PM

19,332 posts, read 17,349,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I have flood insurance. I do not live close to water. I still got 3 foot of water in my HOUSE
Flood insurance requirements are based on historic flood data not necessarly any proximity to water.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
As long as we've got people allowed to live in California, land of expensive natural disasters, what makes you think anyone is going to ban waterfront or flood zone living on LI? Really? What did they rebuild New Orleans for ... a place well below sealevel on the Mississippi River for crying out loud? You really think they're going to chase the multimillionaires and billionaires off of Dune Road? It's not gonna happen. Be prepared for less take home pay to take care of natural disasters that happen to our fellow citizens enjoying life in beautiful disaster zones.
I have no issue with people living near the water as long as they are aware of the risks and pay for them, particularly those that put in multiple claims. I recall that ACY had a shopping mall out on a pier, is that really sensible development. New Orleans was a work in progress, they changed the flow of the Mississippi River, put in Levies, etc. I always think of NO when I hear how the Army Corp of Engineers can make things better on LI, each thing you do to shape nature has an impact somewhere else, remember the issue with the jetties. The mindset has to change, granted this was a historical storm with an 8-9ft surge, but if you believe the science this is going to be the norm.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Flood insurance requirements are based on historic flood data not necessarly any proximity to water.
Schumer asked FEMA to redo the flood zone maps back in 2009, many of the villages also fought the re-zoning, I don't recall if any changes were made but some of those residents are probably very thankful to have flood insurance now.

Schumer Announces Deal to Start Remapping of Controversial New Nassau Flood Zones - Rockville Centre, NY Patch

Old 11-18-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Schumer asked FEMA to redo the flood zone maps back in 2009, many of the villages also fought the re-zoning, I don't recall if any changes were made but some of those residents are probably very thankful to have flood insurance now.

Schumer Announces Deal to Start Remapping of Controversial New Nassau Flood Zones - Rockville Centre, NY Patch
Thats good because when Gaston hit us many of the areas flooded were not identified or eligable for flood insurance. It was a catch 22 you can't get the insurance unless your are in an identified area but if you don't have it and flood your regular insurance won't pay. Many got screwed even though they had tried to get flood insurance. Now it would be great if Schumer would think before speaking , this 200 mile army corp project to protect the south shore is a little ridicules.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:55 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,458,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Thats good because when Gaston hit us many of the areas flooded were not identified or eligable for flood insurance. It was a catch 22 you can't get the insurance unless your are in an identified area but if you don't have it and flood your regular insurance won't pay. Many got screwed even though they had tried to get flood insurance. Now it would be great if Schumer would think before speaking , this 200 mile army corp project to protect the south shore is a little ridicules.
Why do you think it's ridiculous? Is it any more ridiculous than the levies protecting New Orleans, for example?

Old 11-18-2012, 05:11 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,198,137 times
I thought Long Island already had barrier beaches along the South Shore?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Why do you think it's ridiculous? Is it any more ridiculous than the levies protecting New Orleans, for example?
I find many of the Levies in NOLA wrong but they have history and so they continue to maintain them. I reread the NY Times article and stand correcteed, I do support rebuilding the dunes and providing some form of protection for Staten Island.

What I don't support is the proposal to build a storm barrier between Sandy Hook and Breezy Point as one post suggested.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I thought Long Island already had barrier beaches along the South Shore?
We must protect the Hamptons...

Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 PM

11,692 posts, read 12,865,447 times
In case anyone is interested NOVA on PBS is airing an episode, called Inside the Megastorm, this week about Sandy's impact on the NY area. Long Island, however, is barely mentioned. They must have thrown this show together in a hurry, postponing the scheduled episode on Stonehenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island