Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 AM

61 posts, read 127,680 times

Advertisements

Hi All.

I live in a one bedroom garden apartment (for the last 3 plus years) I am ONE person. I run 2 a/c's living room and bedroom. and 2 small fans (new ones. so energy effiecient)

My normal bills run about 85 to 115.00 a month.. This month.I get a bill for 251.00.. I call and said. it must be a mistake (oh, I very rarely cook, maybe a quick stir fry/or maybe once a week use the oven. other than that I use my micorwave. which is fairly new. and like I said. I'm only one person.

Do use my tv. and laptop (which is also new). and my appliances. are the standard garden apartment appliances.. Nothing fancy.

So LIPA comes. re-reads the meter and tells me 'it is correct.. I demand to talk to a higher up. they call me 3 days later and the woman said. This is your bill . its been an extremely hot summer. I said. I can understand that. But it's crazy high. and if you look back at my past history. it's not the norm. and I've done nothing different.

Obviously. I have to pay the bill (and will). and I have demanded they switch out the meter for another one. They "claim" when they take the meter out. it will be tested and if anything is wrong. of course they'll inform me (like I believe that one LOL)..

So query.. Has anyone ELSE had any crazy HIGH bills from LIPA and what have you done about it.. I'm really upset.

Thanks ..

Helene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 AM

Forgot to give the usage.

Usage last year was 551.. and they 'claim' usage this year (at this same time period). is 1262

Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 AM

245 posts, read 496,055 times
That does seem very high. I live in a 4 bedroom cape (don't no sq ft) and my bill was $679 for 2 months and that was lower them we thought it would be. That is for 5 ac's pool a few tv's 4 laptops washer and dryer. You should write to Albany not sure who and fight this. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 AM

3,531 posts, read 5,718,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBLMSL View Post
Hi All.

I live in a one bedroom garden apartment (for the last 3 plus years) I am ONE person. I run 2 a/c's living room and bedroom. and 2 small fans (new ones. so energy effiecient)

My normal bills run about 85 to 115.00 a month.. This month.I get a bill for 251.00.. I call and said. it must be a mistake (oh, I very rarely cook, maybe a quick stir fry/or maybe once a week use the oven. other than that I use my micorwave. which is fairly new. and like I said. I'm only one person.

Do use my tv. and laptop (which is also new). and my appliances. are the standard garden apartment appliances.. Nothing fancy.

So LIPA comes. re-reads the meter and tells me 'it is correct.. I demand to talk to a higher up. they call me 3 days later and the woman said. This is your bill . its been an extremely hot summer. I said. I can understand that. But it's crazy high. and if you look back at my past history. it's not the norm. and I've done nothing different.

Obviously. I have to pay the bill (and will). and I have demanded they switch out the meter for another one. They "claim" when they take the meter out. it will be tested and if anything is wrong. of course they'll inform me (like I believe that one LOL)..

So query.. Has anyone ELSE had any crazy HIGH bills from LIPA and what have you done about it.. I'm really upset.

Thanks ..

Helene

I have 4 bedroom colonial with 3 people and central air, my bill isnt this high

Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 AM

Thanks for replying. I'm at my wits end.. LIPA refuses to listen and I know I have to take it further.. I know there is no way that I'm using this kind of electric.. I've spoken to several neighbors in my complex and nobody is near this amount.

I"ll keep trying and see what I can accomplish. Thanks again. for replying.
Helene

Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 AM

629 posts, read 1,702,361 times
Teach them a lesson - tell them you are not going to give them the satisfaction of having you as a customer any longer and instruct them to immediately terminate your service!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 AM

179 posts, read 494,393 times
i too got a crazy high bill! i called and they had one number wrong but it was still nutzo! so i made two separate payments.
our norm was around $120 for two story, 4bd... and this was $440. yes, we ran the air conditioners but bw-ah!? we recently started running a dehumidifier in the basement... but that can't suck that much power!?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,850,940 times
If you want to get their attention you can complain to the Public Service Commission. Worth a shot.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:26 AM

LOL.. I sure wish I could tell them to terminate my service.. LOL.. but I remember last year. when we had the power outage. I was out about 4 or 5 days. and I was nutso. LOL.. I need my comforts and the a/c is surely one of them.. but that said. my 2 units are just over 3 years old. I have a 3 year old refrig and stove (and it's the standard garden apartment one). so nothing fancy.. Just normal stuff.

I cant' understand. I am really livid. Something is wrong and they 'claim' my meter reading was right.. so thats why they're switching out the meter and like I said. they 'claim' they are going to test it and if something is wrong. they will make an adjustment..

Well. I believe that. LOL.

Helene
;

Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,766,559 times
Based on the description of your abode, 1252 kwH seems awfully high. My last Lipa bill was around that and I have an ig pool and have run the ac all day long.

This is the problem with monopolies, you play by their rules or you don't play at all. Plus, since you're in NY, on LI, you are paying some of the highest rates in the nation (just behind Hawaii at last check).

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island