Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:35 PM

20 posts, read 126,225 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are interested in a house we saw in Lindenhurst. Is Lindenhurst considered to be a safe town? Is there minimal crime? Are there certain areas we should steer clear of? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 06:05 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,216 times
For the most part it's pretty nice. However, avoid the Venice area of Copiague, which is often labelled as Lindenhurst. This area is pretty bad. Lido Promenade, Riviera Drive, Neptune Rd, Venetian Promenade, etc. is Venice. However, there's also Venetian Shores which is a waterfront section of West Babylon but is considered Lindenhurst in most aspects. You'll be fine in this area. Do not confuse Venice and Venetian Shores. I believe houses in Venice will often label themselves as Venetian Shores. If you are looking into North Lindenhurst, stay clear of the area around Zahn's Park. I also hear a lot of negatives about the area west/south of route 109, north of straight path, and east of the central branch line.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:16 PM

20 posts, read 126,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
If you are looking into North Lindenhurst, stay clear of the area around Zahn's Park.
Thank you for your response! Where is Zahn Park located?

Quote:
I also hear a lot of negatives about the area west/south of route 109, north of straight path, and east of the central branch line.
Would this area be the area that has 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th St, etc??

Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie424 View Post
Thank you for your response! Where is Zahn Park located? Zahn's Park is located in between New Hwy and the higher 40's streets. The area I'm suggesting you avoid is the higher 40's streets.

Would this area be the area that has 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th St, etc?? Yes, however the area's reputation might be exaggerated due to it being mostly black.
I personally think the 40's streets are worse than the lower numbers.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:41 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,167,984 times
Yes.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:13 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
It may depend on what you mean by Lindenhurst, because there are places that have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lindenhurst.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" ZIP Code postal zone includes all or part of the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst, the Hamlet of West Babylon, the Village of Lindenhurst, the Hamlet of Copiague and the Hamlet of North Amityville.

A map of the "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" ZIP Code postal zone:

Old 02-04-2012, 07:16 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
... there's also Venetian Shores which is a waterfront section of West Babylon but is considered Lindenhurst in most aspects.
That's because Venetian Shores is in the part of the Hamlet of West Babylon that has a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie424 View Post
My husband and I are interested in a house we saw in Lindenhurst. Is Lindenhurst considered to be a safe town? Is there minimal crime? Are there certain areas we should steer clear of? Thank you!
There is always the question of whether or not New York could be compared to Chicago or San Francisco when reflecting the differences between these locations in terms of safety,
whether that be safety on the street or safety in the home. You have asked a question that could not be answered as simply as you might have hoped for it to be, crime is too broad a description
of those factors which diminish life for the one who has found a home here on Long Island. If you would understand that life has become a changing ethic and almost on a daily basis, we are made
to adjust our standard of living and set it according to whatever the current market will bear. Yes there are and always will be areas that you need to steer clear of but Lindenhurst is not among
them, it is a well-founded place here on the South Shore of Long Island and if you are able to enter the community, to buy a house and to be able to afford to live among us here, you should
consider yourself lucky. Do not be overly concerned with criticisms that come to you by others who might have pass through Lindenhurst, one time or another, those who would try to dampen
your enthusiasm for finding a good community in which to raise your family, don't accept the poison that others will give you in response to your question and although you may have many eggs
in the basket that you have designated for a new home, this is really not the time to be involved in petty infighting, over which location is better than another.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:46 AM

629 posts, read 1,700,659 times
I had family that lived there for a time (Venetian Shores Area) - but it was too long ago to be of value in answering your question. That said - I have never considered Lindenhurst a "bad" area. I think categorizing it as a working-class town would be fair. I would tend to agree with one of the other posters about avoiding the Copiague area.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:37 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,264 times
Quote:
I personally think the 40's streets are worse than the lower numbers.
The lower number streets are mostly Black? Are you sure?

Block by Block racial demographics/mapping;
2010 Census Interactive Population Map
(^^ It says the area is overwhelmingly white)

OP: You really have nothing to worry about in terms of safety. Just about all of Long Island is safe, even in the few areas considered questionable. Just use common-sense and I promise everything will go well. Good luck

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 02-05-2012 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island