Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:08 PM

30 posts, read 101,193 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is Lindenhurst changing a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 03:27 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,351,167 times
Changing how?

Economically?
Racially/Demographically?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,833,307 times
Are you referring to the Village of Lindenhurst or the greater Lindenhurst area that includes the Village of Lindenhurst and the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst, as well as the parts of the Hamlet of Copiague and the Hamlet of West Babylon that have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,002,126 times
no, the pollen has been crazy all over the island, not just Lindy.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:31 PM

517 posts, read 1,086,861 times
Been here 11 years, looks the same to me except for a few more empty shops on Wellwood and the LIRR using us for a dump with the stuff stored under the tressle. If I tryed to leave a trailer that looks like that in front of my house the villlage would be after me.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 PM

Both Economically and Demographicly and in general. I'm refering mostly to North Lindenhurst not that I really care correct me if I'm wrong, but a more blacks and spainish are moving in. Also the population of North Lindenhurst is growing a lot.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:20 PM

Also when I hear people say that Suffolk County is a very segregated area and I look at the North Lindenhurst area, I don't think of Lindenhurst as being a particularly segregated area.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLindyGuy View Post
Both Economically and Demographicly and in general. I'm refering mostly to North Lindenhurst not that I really care correct me if I'm wrong, but a more blacks and spainish are moving in. Also the population of North Lindenhurst is growing a lot.
Here is a great site that I think you will have great use of;
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

It shows changes in racial populations in a given area, just type in your town and see for yourself.

And yes, it appears as if there is a notable increase in the percentage of Blacks and Hispanics in North Lindenhurst. Blacks are still a tiny segment of the NL population though the Hispanic presence is really increasing significantly.

But the Hispanic population is growing significantly in just about every Long Island area, so NL is no different from any other area.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 05-19-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLindyGuy View Post
As for economically, most of North Lindenhurst's neighborhoods have actually somewhat increased their average household income. The only part of it that has seen a decrease in average household income is the part West of Straight Path, South of Southern State Pkwy, and North of Route. 109.

Here is a map that shows median household income of every American community;
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

(Just click on "View more maps" then click on "Income", then click on "Median Household Income" then type in your town to see what i'm talking about)

^^ This map is different from the one in the last post.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:17 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,821,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Here is a great site that I think you will have great use of;
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

It shows changes in racial populations in a given area, just type in your town and see for yourself.

And yes, it appears as if there is a notable increase in the percentage of Blacks and Hispanics in North Lindenhurst. Blacks are still a tiny segment of the NL population though the Hispanic presence is really increasing significantly.

But the Hispanic population is growing significantly in just about every Long Island area, so NL is no different from any other area.
glad i live in matzah pizza!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island