Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:33 PM

30 posts, read 100,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Yes, Lindenhurst is changing. Nothing is what it used to be. All across America we're seeing change, whether it be the vacant store on Main street,
an abandoned mall, the litter-strewn streets, the presence of gangs, a drive-by or maybe just another tornado, winds of life that have blown our dreams
away. Who among us would look at our towns or villages, perhaps even our Hamlets, and not see change? Sure, we're sliced up by zipcode, pigeonholed
into districts, overtaxed as we sit in an ever-tightening vise. Detroit is changing too, the term, "urban blight", has gone mucho suburban, nothing will ever
be what it used to be.

In my little town, you can stand on the platform of the LIRR, look westbound and see the tagging of MS13 on the rooftop ducts or you can step off of the
train and start your walk up Main st., seeing a change that was bound to happen, a bodega across the street from an Advokat, a Pakistani stationary and
an abandoned, glass-blocked saloon. If it were not for change, we'd all be living in that little house on the prairie, awaiting the hatching of cable TV. We all
hunger for change but how many of us recognize it when it comes? My problem with accepting change is that it doesn't seem to be happening these days,
for the better.
I've heard and think from some people its partly due to people from urban areas bringing crime into the suburbs, because I've heard that Long Island isn't any safer than the city anymore.
BTW may I ask what town you're talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 06:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
LI's definitely changing. Seems like the black population is leaving LI and being replaced by latino/hispanic pop. Take a look at an area like Wyandanch..major demographic shift going on there.

regarding Massapequa: According to 2010 census, the black population actually decreased, while the white & hispanic population remained the same, in Mass & Mass park.

American FactFinder

White 16,584 97.5%
Black or African American 76 0.4%
American Indian and Alaska Native 28 0.2%
Asian 306 1.8%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 8 0.0%
Some Other Race 123 0.7%
The Black population on LI has actually increased by 9% in both Nassau and Suffolk. It's just that the Hispanic population has increased much more (47% in Nassau and 65% in Suffolk).

See this article: nytimes.com/2010/12/15/nyregion/15nycensus.html

Region is Reshaped as Minorities Move to Suburbs.

Note that minorities moving to the suburbs isn't necessarily a bad thing. I live in Staten Island, and even though the percentage of minorities has increased, crime hasn't really increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Um, you guys do know there is a Taco Bell in East Massapequa
Me gusto Taco Bell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLindyGuy View Post
I've heard and think from some people its partly due to people from urban areas bringing crime into the suburbs, because I've heard that Long Island isn't any safer than the city anymore.
As prices for places closer to Manhattan get higher, I'm sure you guys will be seeing more "city folk" coming into your towns. As far as being no safer than the cities goes, I think that is an exaggeration: A "hood" in the suburbs is like a middle class neighborhood in the city.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:22 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,471 times
There are plenty of minorities in Mass Park. I saw a black guy having lunch in the Village today. I sat with him and had a nice conversation. Then we left and he got into his Mercedes Benz. Lovely man..with money...those are the kind of minorities Long Island needs and...sorta wants.

Money talks..and lives..on Long Island

Old 05-21-2011, 09:34 AM

136 posts, read 492,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Massapequa still near 98% white - thank God. When Massapequa falls and All American starts selling fajita's - then we know it's all over for Long Island.
You act like you are in some sort of 'protected white enclave' when you live right next door to East Massapequa and Amityville. Get real.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:31 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,712 times
Quote:
I've lived here in Copiague for the last 37 years, and that I'm still here, is a testament to the fact that wherever the feet are, the heart should reside too.
Although the grass may seem greener on the other side, every day on this side of the grass is certainly better than being six feet under the grass.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:50 PM

17 posts, read 23,161 times
[quote=NorthLindyGuy;19237929]YES EXACTLY! THE POOL IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE! barely any white people go to the N. Lindenhurst pool even though N. Lindenhurst is predominately white. Also did you hear what happened this past year a 14yo kid (from Wyandanch) got shot in a drive by (by older kids from Wyandanch) for being in a rival gang (This happened by the N.Lindenhurst pool and was in this news type North Lindenhurst Shooting into google). Also past years (Luckily I havent seen it recently) during the spring and summer months around Copiague Rd and some other places in N.Lindenhurst you could find tons of thugish du-rag wearing(gang looking) black kids riding their bikes. Also I heard of them jumping kids in groups and I've even heard (although this is hearsay) that a little kid like 13 robed another 13yo at gunpoint in N.Lindenhurst on Copiague Rd., also when I was a young teen, a kid from their group wanted to steal my bros bike, there was me and my brother and two kids branched off from the group 1 riding his bike the other on the handle bars and the 1 on the handle bars asked to come over to him so he could "see" my bros bike.
Although what I think it comes down to is outsiders from surrounding areas coming into places they don't belong, because the residents of N.Lindenhurst tend to be good hardworking decent individuals no matter what color they are.

My original post got deleted for being too racist...WTF???......lol
I actually didn't hear about the drive by but it doesn't surprise me. Actually, last fall a young boy (a freshman in HS) bang on my door about 9:30pm crying & asking to use my phone b cuz a group of AFRICAN AMERICANS had just stolen his bike n one of his friends just took off after them. There was a total of 4 boys on there way home when this group was following them then one kid with a du-rag on stopped in front of the kid & said I like ur bike better punched the kid & took the kids bike. He left his junky bike by the kid. I called the police then had all the kids call there parents. My husband took off in the car to try to find the animals. Now I've got 4 cop cars @ my house plus all the kids parents. One of the parents told the cops if he finds them they will b sorry.. I doubt they ever did get them even though I have security cameras on my house & the cops look'd at the video it was too dark to identify any of the thugs. BTW, I don't even live in N. Lindy I live by the HS.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:27 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,834 times
Quote:
Is it just me or is Lindenhurst changing a lot?
Not only in Lindenhurst BUT on ALL of Long Island. It seems like it happened all of a sudden too; out of nowhere. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. All of a sudden, I look around me and notice that every other person looks light brown and has a Spanish surname....oh, well.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:56 PM

30 posts, read 100,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The Black population on LI has actually increased by 9% in both Nassau and Suffolk. It's just that the Hispanic population has increased much more (47% in Nassau and 65% in Suffolk).

See this article: nytimes.com/2010/12/15/nyregion/15nycensus.html

Region is Reshaped as Minorities Move to Suburbs.

Note that minorities moving to the suburbs isn't necessarily a bad thing. I live in Staten Island, and even though the percentage of minorities has increased, crime hasn't really increased.

Me gusto Taco Bell.

As prices for places closer to Manhattan get higher, I'm sure you guys will be seeing more "city folk" coming into your towns. As far as being no safer than the cities goes, I think that is an exaggeration: A "hood" in the suburbs is like a middle class neighborhood in the city.
No not even I've met people from the city who now lived in N. Amityville, Huntington Station, Wyandanch who said their neighborhood is just as bad as the city (don't be fooled by the Aesthetics!! of houses with green grass in front compared to tall buildings and a lot of concrete) And walking down the backstreets alone especially at night is different from driving also I have 2 friend (not just some people I've talked to a couple of times) who lived at one time in the N.Freeport/N.Baldwin/Hempstead area (who are both white) who 1 has been jumped numerous times the other stabbed 6 times. Also I would like to point out most people living on long island either are from the city or parents lived in the city AND a lot of the people who live in the bad parts of LI (Wyandanch, CI, Bwood, Hempstead, Huntington Station, N. Freeport, Roosevelt, etc) come from bad parts of the city (South Jamaica, Brownsville, Crown Heights, Harlem, etc)
I mean look at one time Harlem was a nice place-look at it now

Old 05-21-2011, 06:28 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,802 times
Quote:
No not even I've met people from the city who now lived in N. Amityville, Huntington Station, Wyandanch who said their neighborhood is just as bad as the city (don't be fooled by the Aesthetics!! of houses with green grass in front compared to tall buildings and a lot of concrete) And walking down the backstreets alone especially at night is different from driving also I have 2 friend (not just some people I've talked to a couple of times) who lived at one time in the N.Freeport/N.Baldwin/Hempstead area (who are both white) who 1 has been jumped numerous times the other stabbed 6 times. Also I would like to point out most people living on long island either are from the city or parents lived in the city AND a lot of the people who live in the bad parts of LI (Wyandanch, CI, Bwood, Hempstead, Huntington Station, N. Freeport, Roosevelt, etc) come from bad parts of the city (South Jamaica, Brownsville, Crown Heights, Harlem, etc)
I know people in North Amityville and they say it's not really that bad (if bad at all).

I know parts of it are bad but not all of it; much of it is just working class people like much of the rest of the Town of Babylon. There are nice beautiful upscale areas south of the N. Amityville Pool and I know people who live there and they love everything about it and have had no problems (except for the School District); no robberies, brawls or anything.

(btw: North Baldwin can't really be compared to Hempstead or North Freeport)

Stabbed 6 times? If somebody was stabbed that many times than he must have gotten himself involved in a very very bad crowd, not even people in prison go after somebody and stab them for no reason!! That sounds like a major major exaggeration!

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 05-21-2011 at 06:53 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 09:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times
Quote:
Harlem actually has been gentrifying and attracting more professional-type people.

I live in Staten Island, which is somewhat suburban, and there are people from the "good" parts (mostly on the South Shore) that overexaggerate what happens in the "bad" parts (mostly on the North Shore). There are some areas where you really wouldn't want to be after dark, but a lot of those areas are just quiet residential areas where nothing will happen to you as long as you follow common sense rules. You'll see low-income housing projects nearby, but as long as you watch yourself and stay out of the projects themselves, you'll be fine (and some projects in the better areas are actually safe anough to walk in at night)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I know people in North Amityville and they say it's not really that bad (if bad at all).

I know parts of it are bad but not all of it; much of it is just working class people like much of the rest of the Town of Babylon. There are nice beautiful upscale areas south of the N. Amityville Pool and I know people who live there and they love everything about it and have had no problems (except for the School District); no robberies, brawls or anything.

(btw: North Baldwin can't really be compared to Hempstead or North Freeport)

Stabbed 6 times? If somebody was stabbed that many times than he must have gotten himself involved in a very very bad crowd, not even people in prison go after somebody and stab them for no reason!! That sounds like a major major exaggeration!
Maybe he meant stabbed 6 times in one incident. In any case, if it was 6 seperate incidents, that guy was probably doing something stupid: Either he was involved with a bad crowd or he was completely oblivious and walked by a group of people obviously up to no good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island