Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 PM

64 posts, read 216,901 times

Advertisements

I have an interest in a house in Davison Ct in East Rockaway. Any opinions on the area? eg school, flooding, people, shopping, noise, crime, commute on LIRR, parking, taxes, community center. I have been looking in Valley Stream, but the realtor show a place in East Rockaway, and I'm not familiar with the area.

It seem searching on the forum, I don't find much information on this area. There are lots of threads on Valley Stream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 PM

225 posts, read 716,098 times
I live in East Rockaway (born, raised and currently reside).

Schools--schools are okay, but aren't the best. I was in the public school system up until 6th grade and was then pulled out and put into Kellenberg. I can't speak from personal experience, but I heard the high school can be rough...a lot of the teachers dont have control over the classes, kids are very disrespectful and there's a drug problem. Then again, I feel like that exists in every school district. But anyways, just know that there's a good amount of people in ER who send their kids to parochial school.

Flooding--Anything south of Sunrise Hwy is a flood zone. However, if you're looking to buy on Davison, you wont have a problem with flooding from the bay, but we have a very HIGH water table. Almost everyone in ER has a problem with basement flooding from a rising water table and I don't think flood insurance will cover damage from rising water tables...our house has flooded twice within the last 5 years and both times Flood insurance wouldn't cover it...neighbors also had the same problem.

Shopping- Most of the shops are located along Main Street. There's a bunch of Italian restaurants, beauty salons, banks and bakeries along the strip.

Noise-Not really an issue by us, but then again it depends on who your neighbors are and how considerate they are.

Crime-This isn't something you need to worry about.

Commute on LIRR- We have two LIRR stations (East Rockaway & Centre Ave) Both get you into the city within 40 mins. I'm a daily commuter. Monthly train pass from Centre to Penn will cost you $254 a month.

Parking-There's parking lots for both stations. Not sure how easy/hard it is to get a spot or monthly/yearly cost. (I walk/get a ride). You can call Village hall and inquire.

Taxes/ Community center--Can't really answer this, but I believe my parents pay $8K -$12k a year in taxes.

Where in Valley Stream have you been looking? Unless you're in the Gibson section of Valley Stream, I'd think twice before considering.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:47 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Default A map of the Village of East Rockaway in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County

A map of the Village of East Rockaway in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/78/East-rockaway-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Village of East Rockaway has a different border than does the "East Rockaway, NY 11518" postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "East Rockaway, NY 11518" mailing address and not be in the Village of East Rockaway and a place can be in the Village of East Rockaway and have other than an "East Rockaway, NY 11518" mailing address): places with an "East Rockaway, NY 11518" mailing address that are not in the Village of East Rockaway are in the Hamlet of Hewlett, the Village of Lynbrook and the Hamlet of Bay Park and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of East Rockaway with a "Lynbrook, NY 11563" mailing address.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:53 PM

64 posts, read 216,901 times
- My daughter will go to elementary school in a couple years and I think the schools are okay.

- High water table in East Rockaway concerns me. Is there any way to waterproof the basement? Any damage or labor that you have to take to clean it up? I'm not sure I want to deal with floods in the basement every time it rains heavily.

- It's a nice construction, therefore was wondering about taxes. 8-12k seems about right. Are there village taxes in ER?

I have been looking in Valley Stream where the school district is 24 and 13.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newy0rker View Post
Are there village taxes in ER?
I am unaware of any village that does not have village property taxes.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newy0rker View Post
- My daughter will go to elementary school in a couple years and I think the schools are okay.

- High water table in East Rockaway concerns me. Is there any way to waterproof the basement? Any damage or labor that you have to take to clean it up? I'm not sure I want to deal with floods in the basement every time it rains heavily.

- It's a nice construction, therefore was wondering about taxes. 8-12k seems about right. Are there village taxes in ER?

I have been looking in Valley Stream where the school district is 24 and 13.

The high water table issue is something we all kind of deal with here. Not sure if waterproofing will do anything since the water literally comes up through the floor, not through the foundation...My neighbors two doors down put in sump pump a few years ago which seems to help. Not sure about the cost associated with doing that thought.

Yes, there are village taxes in ER. Not sure how much though.

Not sure where you're moving from, but if you're considering a home in Valley Stream, make sure you're looking to stay within the Hewlett/Woodmere SD (I believe it's SD 14). This is the Gibson section of Valley Stream, which is supposed to very nice.... Stay out of Valley Stream/Elmont School districts...

Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
... if you're considering a home in Valley Stream ...
For anyone considering a home in Valley Stream, bear in mind that Valley Stream is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where many places with the community name as part of their mailing address (4,309 acres) are not in the community (2,258 acres).

Places that have a "Valley Stream, NY 11580 or 11581" mailing address that are not in the Village of Valley Stream are in the Hamlet of North Valley Stream, the Hamlet of Franklin Square, the Village of Malverne, the Hamlet of South Valley Stream and the Hamlet of Woodmere (and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Valley Stream with a "Hewlett, NY 11557" mailing address).

Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times
Some parts of East Rockaway/Bay Park have beautiful old homes and others look kind of run down. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the schools however they are not highly rated (and the district is among the smallest in Nassau).

Commute to NYC is great (Long Beach line tends to be more reliable than others). Taxes are not cheap. You're kind of land locked in that it can be a pain to get to the parkway from that area.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:49 AM

Default A map of the Hewlett-Woodmere Union Free School District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
... make sure you're looking to stay within the Hewlett/Woodmere SD (I believe it's SD 14). This is the Gibson section of Valley Stream, which is supposed to very nice....
Also, a small part of South Valley Stream is in the Hewlett-Woodmere Union Free School District (UFSD No. 14).

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hewlett-Woodmere Union Free School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Woodmere, the Hamlet of South Valley Stream, the Village of Valley Stream, the Village of Lynbrook, the Hamlet of Hewlett, the Village of Hewlett Harbor, the Village of Hewlett Bay Park, the Village of Hewlett Neck and the Village of Woodsburgh.

A map of the Hewlett-Woodmere Union Free School District:

Old 01-10-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Some parts of East Rockaway/Bay Park have beautiful old homes and others look kind of run down. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the schools however they are not highly rated (and the district is among the smallest in Nassau).

Commute to NYC is great (Long Beach line tends to be more reliable than others). Taxes are not cheap. You're kind of land locked in that it can be a pain to get to the parkway from that area.

I agree with this. East Rockaway has a share of beautiful older homes and then homes that aren't so eye appealing. If you head down into the Bay Park area, that's where you'll find a lot of these homes. If you drive through East Rockaway, you'll notice how it's a very old shipping village. Bay Park used to be a "summer home" hot spot, which is why there are a ton of bungalows once you cross over the Bay Park side. Flooding is a huge issue here (as a matter of fact, it was completely under water during Hurricane Irene). Most of the people who own the bungalows (Bay Park is no longer a summer home rental spot--everyone that owns a bungalow lives there year round) had to have their houses raised and sump pumps put in.

If you buy in ER, be prepared to carry flood insurance (doesn't matter what side of town you're on). We all have to have it as long as you have a mortgage on your home.

We aren't near the parkways unfortunately...Have to drive to either Malverne or RVC to pick up the park exit.

Also, couple of things you should know... Traffic is an issue in ER in the morning and around 3pm during the weekdays...if you get nailed with the train coming through and the schools letting out, traffic gets backed up down Ocean & Atlantic Ave. It get's a little insane. There's also complaints by those who live in ER because we have tractor trailers that cut through ER on Atlantic Ave trying to go into Oil City in Oceanside...don't think they're supposed to be taking that route, but people have been complaining about it for years trying to stop it.

ER is also VERY political...I should say "owned" by Tony Santino...research online, okay?

And last but not least, the Bay Park sewage plant is located within East Rockaway down on Compton Ave. Been having all kinds of issues with that in our town because a couple of years back there was a proposal to gallons of sewage pumped in from the Five Towns into our plant. Everyone flipped over that. And yes, you can smell it across town, especially during the summer when it's hot, humid and low tide. It's lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island