Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM

654 posts, read 2,121,534 times

Advertisements

Valley Stream ranks 208 while the East Rockaway School District ranks 193.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:37 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
Valley Stream ranks 208 while the East Rockaway School District ranks 193.
Why didn't you name the source?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
1) Just look at the US Census Bureau. It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice how much the population has increased on Long Island in the past 20 years. During the holidays I felt like I was driving in Manhattan the traffic was so bad!
then cite some figures...

Quote:
2) As for housing, it doesn't make sense to pay $400-$600k for a house that is not even that big with barely any land. Compare LI to Denver. In the suburbs of Denver you can get a huge house for about $400-$500K with almost an acre of property. You can even get a bigger house with an in-ground pool in the suburbs of San Diego for that price. My point is for those prices, money will go much further in areas outside Nassau County.
so wait a sec...you mean to tell me that housing costs more on LI than in other parts of the country? Where did you get this information? Who are you working with? Have you alerted the media?

Still don't know what this has to with over population. I guess you just wanted to throw it out there for no reason?

Quote:
3) Majority of NJ suburbs are more spacious than LI hands down. I have family/friends that live there. As I said it's because NJ is on the mainland as opposed to an island.
more generalizing. There's plenty of housing developments in NJ that have the same 60x100 layouts you'll find on LI. As for what's the majority...I'm going to take a wild guess that you've made another one of your assumptions.

Quote:
4) The only time you'll ever need to get take a bridge if you live in NJ is to get to LI.
Really? Do folks in NJ simply leap across the Hudson when they're headed to NYC? And yes, I'm aware of the two tunnels.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:34 PM

654 posts, read 2,121,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Why didn't you name the source?
You have issues. If you would like me to name the source, just ask.
I am waiting.....

Old 01-12-2012, 05:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,133,578 times
Here's a site that shows the population of the entire country, obviously including southern Nassau: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

There hasn't been a whole lot of growth in southern Nassau. The areas are either shaded light blue (which means they saw a population gain between 0% and 10%) or light yellow (which means they saw a population loss between 0% and 10%). I'm too lazy to figure out the exact population gain for South Shore Nassau, but on paper it hasn't been much.

Suffolk on the other hand has more areas that saw growth.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 PM

57,322 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
1) Just look at the US Census Bureau. It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice how much the population has increased on Long Island in the past 20 years. During the holidays I felt like I was driving in Manhattan the traffic was so bad!

2) As for housing, it doesn't make sense to pay $400-$600k for a house that is not even that big with barely any land. Compare LI to Denver. In the suburbs of Denver you can get a huge house for about $400-$500K with almost an acre of property. You can even get a bigger house with an in-ground pool in the suburbs of San Diego for that price. My point is for those prices, money will go much further in areas outside Nassau County.

3) Majority of NJ suburbs are more spacious than LI hands down. I have family/friends that live there. As I said it's because NJ is on the mainland as opposed to an island.

4) The only time you'll ever need to get take a bridge if you live in NJ is to get to LI.

People live on LI first and foremost because they have a rather large job market with NYC, also proximity to universities and beaches. No one is going to sell their home and go to Colorado because they have a larger piece of property. Why go all the way to Colorado when you can do the same in Vermont, but then you have the same problem, getting a job.

San Diego is one of the most expensive housing markets in the US, good luck finding a house on 1 acre with an in-ground pool, probably more like $1M, look at the home prices compared to Garden City.

https://www.city-data.com/city/San-Diego-California.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Garden-City-New-York.html

Old 01-12-2012, 06:40 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,331,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
You have issues. If you would like me to name the source, just ask.
I am waiting.....
It would be nice to see the source too. I'm not trying to discredit you, it just would be nice to see where those figures are coming from.

Valley Stream 24 School District is rated an 8/10;
Valley Stream 24 Union Free School District in Valley Stream, NY | GreatSchools

Valley Stream Central School District is rated an 8/10 also;
Valley Stream Central High School District in Valley Stream, NY | GreatSchools

Valley Stream 13 School District is rated an 8/10 as well;
http://www.greatschools.org/new-york/valley-stream/Valley-Stream-13-Union-Free-School-District/

Valley Stream 30 School District is rated 8/10;
Valley Stream 30 Union Free School District in Valley Stream, NY | GreatSchools

Now, East Rockaway School District is rated a 7/10 on greatschools.org;
East Rockaway Union Free School District in East Rockaway, NY | GreatSchools

95% of the students in the Valley Stream School Districts got a Regents Diploma while only 85% of the students in East Rockaway School District got them;
Long Island graduation rates

Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 PM

239 posts, read 509,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
People live on LI first and foremost because they have a rather large job market with NYC, also proximity to universities and beaches. No one is going to sell their home and go to Colorado because they have a larger piece of property. Why go all the way to Colorado when you can do the same in Vermont, but then you have the same problem, getting a job.

San Diego is one of the most expensive housing markets in the US, good luck finding a house on 1 acre with an in-ground pool, probably more like $1M, look at the home prices compared to Garden City.
Yes you are right. The number one priority for pricing of a house is location. Many people would prefer to spend $600K on a medium size house on LI because of its proximity to NYC.

You make most of the populated areas of Colorado sound like the boondocks, and you can't compare Colorado to Vermont. The only thing those states have in common is that they have more available land than LI. Colorado has Denver, which is a major metropolitan city in the US. Vermont doesn't have any big cities. Colorado is also home of the US Airforce Academy. Sure you might not be able to find the most high end investment baking jobs, fashion design jobs, or art jobs in Colorado but that doesn't mean there are no jobs available in other fields and professions.

San Diego is one of the most expensive housing markets in the US, but there are many areas outside San Diego where your money will go further than Western LI. You might not be able to find a decent house under $1M in a gated community on the cost, but if you look on Century 21 you can find decent size houses with in-ground pools for $400-$700K in inland suburbs like Poway and San Marcos.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,901 times
Quote:

Quote:
Yes you are right. The number one priority for pricing of a house is location. Many people would prefer to spend $600K on a medium size house on LI because of its proximity to NYC.

You make most of the populated areas of Colorado sound like the boondocks, and you can't compare Colorado to Vermont. The only thing those states have in common is that they have more available land than LI. Colorado has Denver, which is a major metropolitan city in the US. Vermont doesn't have any big cities. Colorado is also home of the US Airforce Academy. Sure you might not be able to find the most high end investment baking jobs, fashion design jobs, or art jobs in Colorado but that doesn't mean there are no jobs available in other fields and professions.

San Diego is one of the most expensive housing markets in the US, but there are many areas outside San Diego where your money will go further than Western LI. You might not be able to find a decent house under $1M in a gated community on the cost, but if you look on Century 21 you can find decent size houses with in-ground pools for $400-$700K in inland suburbs like Poway and San Marcos.
Aside from the fact that most of the stuff you post is complete bullsh*t, what does this have to do with East Rockaway?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:24 PM

239 posts, read 509,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Aside from the fact that most of the stuff you post is complete bullsh*t, what does this have to do with East Rockaway?
Once again people (including myself) got off topic, like on almost every thread.

The stuff I post is complete bullsh*t? Yes, I made up the fact that the US Airforce Academy is located in Colorado. I also lied when I said there are jobs available in Colorado, NYC is the only place in US where you find a job.

If you don't believe me when I say you can find a decent house with a pool for $500K in Poway or San Marcos, well just look it up yourself on Century 21.

Just because I don't find LI as appealing as it used to be doesn't mean that everything I say is bs. I know it's hard to believe that there are other parts of the US that are just as nice as LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island