Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 04:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,324,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
LOL would you send your kids to VS schools?
Yes. I pity racism and ignorance. It is so sad in this day and age. No surprise I guess since East Rockaway High School is very near the BOTTOM. Kinda curious since it has been mostly all white in the past and isn't whiteness the quality of a good school district to racists? Too bad the racists are wrong in the case of ER. I also have heard from many sources that East Rockaway is "changing." Uh oh. Karma coming around? Something about those cheap shanties, I mean cottages, in Bay Park where the sewage treatment plant is that periodically stinks up East Rockaway. And the growing number of absentee landlords in the many multi-family houses in East Rockaway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS_Sarah View Post
Valley Stream Schools are ranked pretty high, there are a lot of programs offered to students and there is a very high graduation rate. I live in Valley Stream and I keep up with this stuff. The facts speak for themselves.

The people that think lowly of Valley Stream Schools do that because they are diverse, plain and simple. The racism on Long Island is sadly still alive and well. Some close-minded people are under the impression that you have to be in a lily-white setting to get a quality education but that is simply not true. I have a daughter that graduated from VS schools last year and she is attending Cornell University. Her group of friends are doing positive things with their lives as well.

We're white for those whom wish to know.
Thank you for a viewpoint of someone who actually has experience with the school district ...

Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM

20,087 posts, read 20,897,502 times
South Shore Nassau from Queens border to Merrick is going downhill. And its not just this racial crap because the demographics are getting darker, its the over population and over construction contributing to it. Nassau is turning into Queens. Adapt, embrace, or move.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:02 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
South Shore Nassau from Queens border to Merrick is going downhill. And its not just this racial crap because the demographics are getting darker, its the over population and over construction contributing to it. Nassau is turning into Queens. Adapt, embrace, or move.
very true. I can't believe all of the new housing developments springing up all over the place. Oh wait, there aren't any.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:30 PM

225 posts, read 716,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yes. I pity racism and ignorance. It is so sad in this day and age. No surprise I guess since East Rockaway High School is very near the BOTTOM. Kinda curious since it has been mostly all white in the past and isn't whiteness the quality of a good school district to racists? Too bad the racists are wrong in the case of ER. I also have heard from many sources that East Rockaway is "changing." Uh oh. Karma coming around? Something about those cheap shanties, I mean cottages, in Bay Park where the sewage treatment plant is that periodically stinks up East Rockaway. And the growing number of absentee landlords in the many multi-family houses in East Rockaway.

What?

I never said ER was one of the best schools and/or better than VS...As a matter of fact, I mentioned earlier that half of my education was rec'd in ERSD--- Was pulled out and placed in parochial school because the public schools didn't meet the standard of education my parents wanted both my brother and I to receive.

And again, not praising ER...ER does have its share of older looking homes in the Bay Park area. What do you mean by "CHANGING?" Do you live here and know first hand? Please do explain, I'd love to hear.

The OP requested information on ER because he/she is possibly interested in buying a home here. Would you want someone sugarcoating you information if you were about to buy a home in an area you knew very little about?? Yeaaaah, I think not.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM

225 posts, read 716,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post

What over-construction as you referring to?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
What?

I never said ER was one of the best schools and/or better than VS...As a matter of fact, I mentioned earlier that half of my education was rec'd in ERSD--- Was pulled out and placed in parochial school because the public schools didn't meet the standard of education my parents wanted both my brother and I to receive.

And again, not praising ER...ER does have its share of older looking homes in the Bay Park area. What do you mean by "CHANGING?" Do you live here and know first hand? Please do explain, I'd love to hear.

The OP requested information on ER because he/she is possibly interested in buying a home here. Would you want someone sugarcoating you information if you were about to buy a home in an area you knew very little about?? Yeaaaah, I think not.
You said VS was a school district to stay away from. Which is patently and completely INCORRECT. Do you live here and know first hand? Please do explain, I'd love to hear. Frankly the only reason for such an answer is racism, bigotry and ignorance because the rankings and statistics are 100% different which is why I took such exception to it, as did VS_Sarah.

As for CHANGING -- don't be coy -- you've lived on LI your whole life -- you should know what that means. It means "minorities are moving IN and they're not the 'good ones' like Asians." Seems like that statement got your dander up like your statements about VS schools (including, "Would you send you kids there? Hahahaha") got mine up. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." Don't worry, ER will still be fine. No need for the 'rents to rush and sell the house.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:46 AM

239 posts, read 509,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post

very true. I can't believe all of the new housing developments springing up all over the place. Oh wait, there aren't any.
Overpopulation is the problem with South Shore Nassau, not over construction. JMO but with all the overpopulation in South Shore Nassau, I don't see how anyone finds the area desirable anymore. In places like Valley Stream and Lynbrook you'll end up paying about $400-$600k for a house on a 60x110 lot size, which is ridiculous. Your money will go further in many parts of SoCal these days than South Shore Nassau!

If you need to be near NYC for work/family purposes, I'd suggest moving to NJ. Again, your money will go further and because NJ is on the mainland it was able to keep up with its population growth better than LI. Plus no bridges! But if you have to stay on LI, I would suggest going further east. Just my two cents.

I don't know much about East Rockaway other than that there are some nice houses and not so nice ones. I know the school district isn't highly ranked. My mom's friend is a teacher at one of the elementary schools in East Rockaway and says it's fine. But then again, almost all school districts on LI are good at the elementary level. I know there is a section of East Rockaway that goes to Lynbrook Schools, so if school district is a top priority for you I would suggest looking in that area.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:30 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Overpopulation is the problem with South Shore Nassau, not over construction. JMO but with all the overpopulation in South Shore Nassau, I don't see how anyone finds the area desirable anymore.
can you provide any specific facts/figures to show where and by how much the population has increased?
Quote:
In places like Valley Stream and Lynbrook you'll end up paying about $400-$600k for a house on a 60x110 lot size, which is ridiculous. Your money will go further in many parts of SoCal these days than South Shore Nassau!
yes, housing can be expensive. How does this have anything to do with over population?
Quote:
If you need to be near NYC for work/family purposes, I'd suggest moving to NJ. Again, your money will go further and because NJ is on the mainland it was able to keep up with its population growth better than LI.
Many of the NJ suburbs close to NYC are as, if not more, congested than South Nassau.
Quote:
Plus no bridges!
except for when you have to take the GW, Bayonne, Outerbridge, Goethals....

Old 01-12-2012, 10:49 AM

239 posts, read 509,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
can you provide any specific facts/figures to show where and by how much the population has increased?

yes, housing can be expensive. How does this have anything to do with over population?

Many of the NJ suburbs close to NYC are as, if not more, congested than South Nassau.

except for when you have to take the GW, Bayonne, Outerbridge, Goethals....
1) Just look at the US Census Bureau. It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice how much the population has increased on Long Island in the past 20 years. During the holidays I felt like I was driving in Manhattan the traffic was so bad!

2) As for housing, it doesn't make sense to pay $400-$600k for a house that is not even that big with barely any land. Compare LI to Denver. In the suburbs of Denver you can get a huge house for about $400-$500K with almost an acre of property. You can even get a bigger house with an in-ground pool in the suburbs of San Diego for that price. My point is for those prices, money will go much further in areas outside Nassau County.

3) Majority of NJ suburbs are more spacious than LI hands down. I have family/friends that live there. As I said it's because NJ is on the mainland as opposed to an island.

4) The only time you'll ever need to get take a bridge if you live in NJ is to get to LI.

Last edited by JCNNY; 01-12-2012 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island