Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,693 times

Advertisements

would you consider a house without a basement?

Where I am from, a house without a basement is common, but since living in NY, it seems weird to see one without.

To me, there is so much use for a basement. You could finish it and use it as a recreational space or just leave it be and throw your junk down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:21 AM

22,676 posts, read 36,826,713 times
They are so common on Long Island that it's hard to imagine not having one there....especially considering how small most garages are. I guess you have to look at the space in the rest of the house; we don't have one now and it's fine, but we have a 3rd floor and we aren't pack rats.

I remember looking at a house in Huntington that had no basement and it just felt so weird - the house had NO storage space at all and washer and dryer were in the garage, taking up space in there. I felt like there was no where to go in that house.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,168,547 times
Both the location and the style of the house often determine if there is/could be a basement.

If you live near the water, the water table is often too high to put in a basement (unless you spend TONS of $$$)

A Hi-Ranch usually does not have a basement. You go up a few steps to the front door, and when you enter, you either go up OR down. Upstairs is usually 3 BR 1 or 2 baths, kitchen, LR and DR. Downstairs is a mostly smaller livingspace, because part of the sqft is for the garage (unless the garage is converted). No basement.

Some split level homes also don't have basements, just the basic three levels.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:31 AM

184 posts, read 806,269 times
Basements are definitely a plus in my book. If your house is directly on a slab and you have piping issues below the finished floor (cracked pipes/leaks/etc..) it can become very costly. Not a common issue but it is something to consider.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,736,530 times
Love my basement.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,693 times
I saw this house where the only "basement" it had was a little area for maybe washer and dryer, then another area where the boiler etc is located. thats it. felt very weird that a house of that size would not have a basement.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:21 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,965,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
I saw this house where the only "basement" it had was a little area for maybe washer and dryer, then another area where the boiler etc is located. thats it. felt very weird that a house of that size would not have a basement.
Sounds like a trademark Splanch

Old 07-26-2011, 12:47 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,331,678 times
Basements are common where footings need to be 3'-4' below grade in order to prevent freeze-heaving. The additional cost to create a basement is not generally prohibitive. In places with little or no concern for frost-heave on-slab construction is more common since significant footings are rarely needed.

There are no basements along the Mississippi Delta...no in-ground graves, either, because of such a high water table. Instead, the "basement" and kitchen are often at grade level and the living spaces are on the 2nd and 3rd floors (which also help capture breezes).

Old 07-26-2011, 02:25 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,411,013 times
Love a basement too. But my new home will be on a slab. No biggie, since it has a 2.5 garage, and a huge walk in attic. So i wont miss it too much.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 PM

886 posts, read 2,648,509 times
We have a split with a half basement and after 25 years in the house it holds a washer/dryer.a tool box ,a freezer and a litter box. Junk belongs in one place....the curb. Could live without it....just another set of stairs to climb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: