Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 AM

23 posts, read 64,083 times

Advertisements

I was looking at 2 different homes in west babylon, one has an unfinished basement and the other is on a slab.. Would one cost more to heat than the other, maybe a dumb questions- so sorry in advance if it is!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 10:55 AM

284 posts, read 985,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesanphoto View Post
I was looking at 2 different homes in west babylon, one has an unfinished basement and the other is on a slab.. Would one cost more to heat than the other, maybe a dumb questions- so sorry in advance if it is!

Thanks!
I have a finished with baseboard and keep it set at 60 degrees unless i'm having company or a party then i'll bump it up a touch , cold air falls so if you keep the unfinished basement door closed you should have no problem with extra heating costs . If you choose the home with the unfinished basement and convert it to a part of the house that is used everyday then it will increase the cost

Old 03-12-2010, 11:32 AM

184 posts, read 805,817 times
there are too many variables to give you a flat out answer. However, I prefer homes with basements because you can access most of the piping below if you need to. I am assuming both houses have baseboard radiation?

Old 03-12-2010, 02:59 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,991 times
Your not talking that much of a difference. A basement is underground which is roughly around 56 degrees year round. So less heat is requirred to keep it warm, but it is more area to heat.
A slab on grade has more heat loss b/c its on the top of the land where the temps are concurrent with the outside temps.

Bottom line = go with the basement!

Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,972 times
I'd guess that having a basement would make heating the house cheaper because that's usually where the oil burner and all the warm piping or the duct work that carries the heat is located, so the basement itself is usually a lot warmer in the winter than the ground outside is.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:15 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
Strictly speaking.....a slab house is less expensive to heat than a house with a basement.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 AM

10 posts, read 36,434 times
if the basement is unfinished as is mine, and in west babylon as is mine, you probably dont have any heat down there so heating it wont be an issue until you install some heating system. I plan to finish it soon but I will probably buy a space heater for when I use it.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:19 AM

244 posts, read 540,299 times
If you're really worried about heat loss through to the basement, insulate the floors. However, that makes the basement colder in the winter, and depending on what kind of boiler (and hot water heater) you have, can make things worse, or break even.

Then, on the other hand, the basement is usually cooler than the house in the summer, and insulating the floors can make your AC bill (electric) higher. How much or if at all? It all depends

Best bet, insulate the pipes.

Compared to a slab, though, again, it all depends. I notice that in a house with a slab, the floor drains the heat right out of my feet during the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: