Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:33 AM

295 posts, read 345,919 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a home which as a basment apartment. Kitchen, bedroom, bath, etc. My question is, what would be the best way to find a tenant as I want to minimize the risk of having landlord/tenant issues. Would you stay away from craigslist? Perhaps I post in Newsday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 AM

104 posts, read 172,241 times
Since all basement apartments are illegal, your greater risk comes from your neighbors turning you in to the town and the fine and expense to take out stove and whatever code violations they find. It's not an if. It will happen, only you'll never know who did it or why you pissed them off. Maybe your visitor parked in "their" spot on the street accidentally or your leaves blew on their lawn. Trust me, someone will turn you in, it's just a matter of time.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:56 AM

295 posts, read 345,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Coe View Post
Since all basement apartments are illegal, your greater risk comes from your neighbors turning you in to the town and the fine and expense to take out stove and whatever code violations they find. It's not an if. It will happen, only you'll never know who did it or why you pissed them off. Maybe your visitor parked in "their" spot on the street accidentally or your leaves blew on their lawn. Trust me, someone will turn you in, it's just a matter of time.
Not really looking for the risk factor, but more on the lines on where to find the best candidates. Do you have any input?

Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubutante1000 View Post
Not really looking for the risk factor, but more on the lines on where to find the best candidates. Do you have any input?
If you live near any places where a lot of people work, like a hospital or a college, you might see if you could post a listing on a bulletin board (a real board, not a digital one) at that location or even in a nearby supermarket if they have a board. You might still have tenant issues but you will have an idea about their background.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:15 AM

Agree with Martinjsxx with the caveat of having a parent sign lease for any college students. I rented a legal accessory apt to college students (against my better judgement) and had to go after the parents to pay for the inevitable damage. If you're near a hospital, nurses/interns can be a better option. Tell us what you're near for more specific answers.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:19 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
Is the house listed as a 2 family? Do you plan on paying taxes on the extra apartment? Are you going to report the income to the IRS? I bet the answer is no to all 3 questions.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubutante1000 View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a home which as a basment apartment. Kitchen, bedroom, bath, etc. My question is, what would be the best way to find a tenant as I want to minimize the risk of having landlord/tenant issues. Would you stay away from craigslist? Perhaps I post in Newsday?

1. Make sure the apartment is legal and you have a CO for it.

2. Decide what type of tenant you want (student, single working person, older person, etc) and go to a broker and have them find someone. Putting an ad anywhere is only going to get you tons and tons of calls and it will take you a while to weed out the ones you don't want.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:33 AM

Reputable brokers (if that's not an oxymoron) will not list an illegal apt.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:40 AM

157 posts, read 285,211 times
MrBitterness, how about you mind your own business? By renting out a part of the house, living in LI becomes more affordable to people who will be paying the 6 figure teacher, police, and garbagemen salaries. By renting out, a student, nurse or teacher gets to live in LI and pay taxes that support this expensive town of our's.

Even the counties have held off on inforcing illegal apartment actions because doing so drives people out of LI and considering the job losses in NYC and the resulting loss of taxpayers in LI, that's the last thing we need.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:51 AM

252 posts, read 420,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shera11375 View Post
MrBitterness, how about you mind your own business? By renting out a part of the house, living in LI becomes more affordable to people who will be paying the 6 figure teacher, police, and garbagemen salaries. By renting out, a student, nurse or teacher gets to live in LI and pay taxes that support this expensive town of our's.

Even the counties have held off on inforcing illegal apartment actions because doing so drives people out of LI and considering the job losses in NYC and the resulting loss of taxpayers in LI, that's the last thing we need.
Don't know what town you live in but, the Town of Babylon is at your door step at the drop of a dime when it comes to illegal apartment reports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island