Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:44 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times

Advertisements

Got my renewal for my homeowner insurance from State Farm. It went up a few bucks but nothing to be upset about. I decided to price a policy through my auto insurer, Geico.

Geico does not write Homeowners in NY but acts as a broker. They quoted me a premium for comparable coverage for about 20% below State Farm. The company they placed the insurance with is Homesite Insurance Co.

Im not finding too much on the web about them other than Progressive also places homeowners insurance through that company.

Anyone have any experience with Homesite or placing homeowners through Geico?
I don't want to switch if this is nothing more than a teaser premium and it will go up next year. I have had no problem with State Farm or the agent that places that insurance for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 09:48 AM

186 posts, read 713,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Got my renewal for my homeowner insurance from State Farm. It went up a few bucks but nothing to be upset about. I decided to price a policy through my auto insurer, Geico.

Geico does not write Homeowners in NY but acts as a broker. They quoted me a premium for comparable coverage for about 20% below State Farm. The company they placed the insurance with is Homesite Insurance Co.

Im not finding too much on the web about them other than Progressive also places homeowners insurance through that company.

I don't want to switch if this is nothing more than a teaser premium and it will go up next year. I have had no problem with State Farm or the agent that places that insurance for me.

If you're a AAA member, they are offering great insurances for home and car.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
I didnt go with Geico home ins. b/c I didnt like the whole 2nd party brokering idea. Im also with State Farm who matched Geico's automobile policy if I went with them for home owners ins. too. So I did.

Let us know what you find out and how it goes.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 AM

61 posts, read 228,125 times
Quote:

I used Geico too. It's true they don't write the policy, they do broker it and "back it". I have my cars through them for over 10 years now accident free, so that may have helped my rate, not sure. My understanding is Narragansett Bay is the company they use that they service, in other words, you could call them for customer service. It doesn't mean squat, you have to dial a seperate number to actually get NB people on the phone and can't do anything at night or on the weekends, so Geico "servicing" the policy is meaningless.

That said, I got 400K coverage and the insane wind deductible doesn't kick in unless damages are caused by >105MPH winds...

My premium when I signed on was 857, my renewal just came in at 780.

I'm pretty happy so far and from what I saw last year, NB has a solid reputation and financial stability. Haven't looked lately to be honest. When you get quotes from Geico, ask them for Narragansett Bay. If the rep says he/she can't do it (for whatever reason???), just hang up and call back, it seemed to be like rolling the dice with them...took a few calls but I got it right and it's still going good.

Good luck

Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 AM

That's interesting that you have Narragansett Bay and they quoted me from Homesite. Im just a little uncomfortable moving over to a company that I can't find too much info about.

Also interesting that speakign with the Geico agent there was a bit of pressure to sign up immediately. Never had that problem with Geico before.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
That's interesting that you have Narragansett Bay and they quoted me from Homesite. Im just a little uncomfortable moving over to a company that I can't find too much info about.

Also interesting that speakign with the Geico agent there was a bit of pressure to sign up immediately. Never had that problem with Geico before.
I've been dealing with them for years and have absolutely nothing bad to say about them.

That said, their home and flood insurance depts can't hold a candle to their car insurance people. But I found that if I got someone on the phone who seemed clueless, I simply hung up. Eventually you get someone with a clue. If they're brokering, you are probably dealing with a commissioned employee. Nothing wrong with making them earn it. I had to call about 10x to make this work but have been happy. I got quoted for umpteen different comopanies, it was like every time I called I got a different quote, but the operator wouldn't shop multiple companies on the same call. It was like roulette. I wanted a company they serviced and waited to get it...Happened to be the cheapest (by far)...but again, them servicing it is really meaningless.

If you have them for your car insurance you save a (very) little there too. I have dealt directly with NB since I had them, and found it to be easier. Having such a long relationship with Geico, I'm glad they're involved in some capacity though.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when it comes to coverages. For instance SF offers you unlimited housing cost coverage if you are displaced from your home due to a claim. I believe most if not all other companies have a dollar limit on that. Just one example.

Honestly, when you're dealing with your house, chances are you are not going to put in a claim unless something BIG happens. And then you really want a company standing behind you that has the monetary reserves and the expertise backing you up. I worked for SF years ago and I wouldn't even consider shopping my insurance around because I know what I'll get if anything happens. I also spent years working as a temp after I left SF and I've dealt with most other insurance companies in some capacity or another and .... it's not pretty who some of these companies hire.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with your decision.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when it comes to coverages. For instance SF offers you unlimited housing cost coverage if you are displaced from your home due to a claim. I believe most if not all other companies have a dollar limit on that. Just one example.

Honestly, when you're dealing with your house, chances are you are not going to put in a claim unless something BIG happens. And then you really want a company standing behind you that has the monetary reserves and the expertise backing you up. I worked for SF years ago and I wouldn't even consider shopping my insurance around because I know what I'll get if anything happens. I also spent years working as a temp after I left SF and I've dealt with most other insurance companies in some capacity or another and .... it's not pretty who some of these companies hire.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with your decision.
Do you know anything about Narragansett Bay?

FWIW, my poilcy has the unlimited housing coverage if I'm displaced. And I totally agree with you on never needing it except for something big. I did my homework on this, anything you can add would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

383 posts, read 665,037 times
Many local independent agents write for Narragansett Bay. Also look for one the writes with Mercury Insuranance as they have very low homeowner rates. I work for an agency in Smithtown and we have those 2 companies.

The savings would be about $170/year. Not a great amount but why pay more if I don't have to. However, your point is correct. I have been with State Farm for awhile and am very happy with the local agent. He has been more than responsive to my inquiries and requests.

I can't find much about this Homesite company and it's probably not worth moving over to save the $170 to find out it was a mistake if I should ever file a claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island