Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:03 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
I think we should continue to use both retarded and gifted, too much grey area when you try not to offend anyone.
Would you feel the same way if your kid was "Retarded"?

Also, my point is not that we are not trying to offend anyone, it's to take the parental ego out of the "gifted" thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 01:06 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,104 times
I don't know but I might not feel better about the myriad afflictions they now substitute for retarded either. I am being absurdist here but LI can barely provide adequate special ed to anyone in any district so these sub designations probably don't help.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:05 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
Hopefully, your gifted children will grow up and buy drugs from my retarded children.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:31 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,104 times
lol

Old 04-12-2011, 07:15 AM

62 posts, read 113,666 times
is this group still available for meetings?

i would like to attend a gifted children seminar, on how to raise gifted children

y is there such a gifted children "backlash" ?

do u think gifted children are special or do they just have special needs?

r u a gifted child or former gifted child who b came "disenchanted" with gifted children?

if having retarded children a "gift" in disguise that teaches us about human frailty/and compassion?

do u think "gifted children" r the ultimate "status symbol" for long island in 2k11? or r they "played out" ?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,146 times
so sad to see so may ignorant people. making fun of a child who is 30-50 points below average IQ would be cruel as they would have severe downs syndrome, but making fun of a child with 30-50 points above average IQ is fine....both of those children are wired completely differently then the child of average intelligence. Gifted children are often also struggling with extreme emotional sensitivities and often have processing challenges (extreme auditor sensitivity, symptoms similar to ADD or ADHD) etc. There needs to be tolerance for children on both ends of the spectrum, and more education about those communities.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post

Also, my point is not that we are not trying to offend anyone, it's to take the parental ego out of the "gifted" thing.
i have a child who is musically gifted and I see no reason why I should not be proud of my child. if my child was academically gifted, or athletically gifted I would also be proud. asking a parent to not be proud of their child's talents is ridiculous.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 PM

208 posts, read 492,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post

im against Drugs but that was good lol

Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,388 times
Wow, a lot of harsh words going around.

Why so negative?

Here is what I want to know...if the OP said

Anyone out there with kids who like soccer want to get together to hang out?
or
I am looking to hook my kid up with other kids who like building bottle rockets.
or
I am trying to get a group together of high functioning autistic kids and their parents giving us all an opportunity to socialize.
or
I am looking to help my son who has trouble socializing with most of the kids in his class because his IQ is off the charts and the school told me he needs to be in a gifted program and find other kids who have simular skills and interests if you want him to thrive, is there anyone else out there that has this same issue?

....would there still be an issue?

I am just curious because my question would be and is the last one.
That is exactly what I was told when I asked the school social worker how can I help my very sad and lonely child who at age 9 wishes he was dead because he has no friends.
My "Gifted Child" is labeled "Gifted" by the pyscologist because he scored in the "very superior range" another term used in the IQ test itself. My son with his high intellegence and everything going for him has Aspergers.
Are you going to criticize me for trying to get together with other parents who are also having a difficult time finding and providing our kids what the need to succeed?
My son is a high functioning autistic kid who has special needs. Such as finding a group of other highly intellegent (ie, gifted) kids who have the same interests and skill sets to socialize with so that they can learn how to socialize out in the real world that the get thrown into when they grow up

Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
"Gifted" is a poorly chosen euphemism for just saying "hey, my kid is smart, probably smarter than most." Even if it's true, it is pretentious and puts people off. Maybe my kid is "gifted" because he has a large p*nis or can hit a baseball at 2 yrs old. I don't say he's "gifted." I say "he's got a huge peck*r" or "he is an excellent athlete." Using PC allusions to the truth creates animosity and exclusion. Usually the parent's fault, not the kid's.

How about "my child is unusually intelligent and I'd like to explore options for advanced learning opportunities and meet with others who feel this way. Plus, we'll have coffee, calculators and bumper stickers!"

My son is in 1st grade, speaks better than his teachers and reads and writes at a 4th grade level. I don't think he's "gifted." He's just smart. He's also a real wiseguy and funny and annoying and a real pain in the rear! Like a 6 year old should be. My goal is to help him be well rounded, supporting and encouraging his potential while teaching him to be a good person. The moment he becomes "gifted" he's saddled with a label which may help in some arenas but will be a limitation in others.

It works the other way too. The euphemism "special" (as opposed to "specialized needs") also labels them for exclusion. The child has xxxx issue (diagnosis, condition, etc). So? That is the playing field. They need some specialized assistance. That should be the wording. They are still kids, not "gifted" or "special." Just kids with individualized needs and particular obstacles and limitations.

Everyone, regardless of "gifted", "special" or in between should receive the same respect, nurturing and encouragment...cause they are all kids with unlimited potential. Regardless of big pecker, big brain or wheelchair bound.

Last edited by mongoose65; 03-08-2012 at 07:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island