Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:34 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,646,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan75 View Post
Thank you very much Andrea. Would you mind if I contacted you for advice in the future?
Any time you want - I hope I can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 10:08 PM

63 posts, read 298,339 times
Hey Susan75....I think the idea of trying to get a group going for "super smart" kids and their parents is a fabulous idea. I read this entire thread and you have said the very same things I have been saying to my husband for the last week or two (since my child's IQ was tested and now we "know"). i also have a special needs child and now say I have 2 special needs kids. I agree that a FAPE should absolutely apply to bright kids as well as special needs kids. Too bad my school district (and NYS apparently) doesn't agree. i've had comments told to me by various school personnel that my child is "the brightest math kid they have ever seen", and yet there is no gifted/enrichment program or any "extra" stuff that my district is willing to provide to my child. It's really infuriating.

Anyway, I'd be very interested in joining your group!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:26 PM

10 posts, read 177,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
You sound like one of those jealous people who goes to PTA meetings and school board meetings and yells and screams and throws fits about getting rid of programs for smart kids. That's exactly what/who you remind me of. I've seen these types of prejudiced/envious individuals in action and hope to never have personal contact with any of them. Ever. Perhaps it is you who is "socially ret*rded" to use your own terminology.

It must be uncomfortable to be totally uninformed about a subject you know nothing about but yet you still have a lot to say. Perhaps it's jealousy that you weren't in the gifted group, and that's what's prompted your nasty and sarcastic attack.

Blah..blah..F'ing blah.
Yeah, you nailed it on the head genius. It's jealousy that I wasn't selected by my school back in the 80's to be segregated from the general populace, labeled "gifted and talented" (as though these kids are more valuable in the eyes of the school administration than the others) by the teachers yet called "egghead" or a "geek" by the other students and receive routine physical duress. This is what I saw from my exerience and likely still continues today. If you deny this has or is occuring then, you are seriously out of touch of reality. I don't condone this but, again, this is what I witnessed.

You are obviously some sort of special ed teacher who is taking this so-called cause (the cause of making them better socially - the original post of this thread) way too seriousy. It's well known that kids of these programs are often introverted, have social pecularities and are prone targets to bullying. To say otherwise means you have your head buried in the sand.

Last edited by Wonder_Skrotums; 06-11-2010 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: because I felt like it

Old 06-12-2010, 09:20 AM

160 posts, read 451,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder_Skrotums View Post
Yeah, you nailed it on the head genius. It's jealousy that I wasn't selected by my school back in the 80's to be segregated from the general populace, labeled "gifted and talented" (as though these kids are more valuable in the eyes of the school administration than the others) by the teachers yet called "egghead" or a "geek" by the other students and receive routine physical duress. This is what I saw from my exerience and likely still continues today. If you deny this has or is occuring then, you are seriously out of touch of reality. I don't condone this but, again, this is what I witnessed.

You are obviously some sort of special ed teacher who is taking this so-called cause (the cause of making them better socially - the original post of this thread) way too seriousy. It's well known that kids of these programs are often introverted, have social pecularities and are prone targets to bullying. To say otherwise means you have your head buried in the sand.
Unfortunately I think "Wonder Skrotums" is one of the many who hear the term "gifted and talented" and have the knee-jerk reaction that parents and/or teachers feel these kids are "better" than other children. As much as I would love to do away with the word "gifted" to label these children, it is the word currently being used to refer to them so I have no choice but to use it. Maybe that's one of the issues we could discuss as a group, should we be successful in forming a group.
Let me make this absolutely clear for anyone reading this thread
In NO way, shape, or form do I think that MY child, or any other intellectually gifted child is better than typical children, or special needs children.
What I think is that there is a small group of children who happen to acquire knowledge rapidly... much more rapidly than do their "typical" peers. As a result, they fall outside of the "normal" range on the infamous bell curve, and therefore their educational needs are different than the needs of typical children... much in the same way as "special needs" children's needs are different and therefore require special services/ and or schools. Therefore, the normal curriculum DOES NOT serve their needs APPROPRIATELY. I am not interested in segregating my child from typical children, nor do I feel that he deserves "better" than anyone else. I feel that he is entitled to a FREE and APPROPRIATE education just like everyone else. The purpose of the group I am trying to form is to get parents who are having similar experiences together so that we can brainstorm ideas on how to address our children's "special needs". Having our children get together to socialize would be an added "bonus" to forming this group that I would hope they could benefit from.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:41 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,646,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan75 View Post
And how foolish is it to not help them develop their abilities to their full potential? These are the children who could grow up and do truly great things- cure diseases, solve energy problems, improve technology, etc. Instead we choose to stifle, ridicule, mock and ignore them as if they don't exist.
Other countries choose to nurture and develop their very bright students and rightly so - after all, they will become the people who have the potential to discover cures for disease, etc. It's too bad the US doesn't feel the same way - it's as if this country is shooting itself in the foot. Pure stupidity.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:18 PM

10 posts, read 177,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Other countries choose to nurture and develop their very bright students and rightly so - after all, they will become the people who have the potential to discover cures for disease, etc. It's too bad the US doesn't feel the same way - it's as if this country is shooting itself in the foot. Pure stupidity.
Jeezus, are you dating the next Rain Man? You do realize that Einstein was considered a slow kid and never would have made it to your precious "gifted and talented" program. Same for Stephen Hawking....and I'm certain they have done more for science than any other so called gifted kid of their generations.

Cures for dieases and other discoveries that improve mankind's quality of life come from two things - money and motivation. Typically, the people involved in these endeavors are we so-called common folk, not little geniuses.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder_Skrotums View Post
Jeezus, are you dating the next Rain Man? You do realize that Einstein was considered a slow kid and never would have made it to your precious "gifted and talented" program. Same for Stephen Hawking....and I'm certain they have done more for science than any other so called gifted kid of their generations.

Cures for dieases and other discoveries that improve mankind's quality of life come from two things - money and motivation. Typically, the people involved in these endeavors are we so-called common folk, not little geniuses.
Wow...wrong again "Wonder Skrotums"... you're on a role. Einstein and Stephen Hawking are perfect examples of how their schools FAILED to identify them for what they really were. Once again, you are making the wrong assumptions about this group of children and as far as I can tell it seems to be based on absolutely no real knowledge on the subject. Highly gifted children often go unidentified by their teachers/schools because contrary to popular belief, they are often not high achievers. This is because they are completely bored with the material they are being presented with which is most likely what happened with the two geniuses you mentioned. I'm sure if you had gone to school with either one of them you would be the kid pushing them around and treating them poorly because they were "different".
You are repeatedly confusing high achievers with high intellectual ability. They are 2 completely different things. You would know that if you took the time to do a little research on the topic that you are so quick to chime in on. Why are you so hateful towards high intelligence? Maybe you should do some soul searching about that one. And if you really think that discoveries that improve mankind are coming from your average Joe the Plumber... think again. They are coming from brilliant minds whose research is being funded by people with big wallets and average IQ's.
Anyway, I am again pointing out that the group I originally posted about is not excluding anyone. It is primarily for people interested in advocating for their children's special needs. I'm not sure why it is that you can't understand why a parent would want to help their child reach their full potential, but at this point I realize that your opinion holds no value so it really doesn't matter. Why don't you go start your own group... You can call it "Adults Against Smart Kids", and you can form hate rallies with all of your ignorant buddies and throw things at the kids as they exit their gifted classes.

Last edited by Susan75; 06-12-2010 at 10:08 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 12:20 PM

162 posts, read 735,180 times
See this is the problem...the OP simply wants to start a group for kids/parents/teachers to enhance the gifted kids socially & for the parents to bounce ideas off each other & some people who obviously know nothing about what having a gifted child means respond in such a nasty way.

Unfortunately having a gifted child on Long Island can be quite a challenge for the parents. This has nothing to do with "elitists" or "better" children...it has to do with the fact that these kids need a much special education as children who need what we typically call "special education".

If someone posted that they wanted to start a group for kids who are in special education classes on this board would the responses be the same? No I think not. A gifted child cannot chose his rate of learning as much as a special needs child could not. They are both to be valued & giving the right tools for them so they can learn at their rate.

Also there is a huge misconception that gifted kids are groomed to be that way. My son started reading & writing at 18 months, I had 3 kids under 5 at the time & trust me I had no time for flash cards & "training" him to be smart..God just made him that way. I have 2 other kids who are bright but not what would be called gifted. That is just they way they are made.

My son was bullied in public school 2 & 3rd grade due to his academic ability. The principal told me not to worry that "he would level out"...Um he has an 146 IQ..how & why would they want him to level out & be just like everyone else. It was so frustrating. I spent K-3rd grade fighting & advocating for him 24/7. He was also ostrisized because (as mentioned before) his interests were years ahead of his age. Finally we had to send him to a private school for gifted kids. It took 3 jobs between my husband & me to make that happen...we are middle class & there was nothing elitist about it.

We have since moved out of NY to NC where gifted kids are given the tools, respect, & learning environment they deserve.

A group or meeting of people involved with & for gifted kids is a great idea & don't stop advocating for your child. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Disneyfans View Post
See this is the problem...the OP simply wants to start a group for kids/parents/teachers to enhance the gifted kids socially & for the parents to bounce ideas off each other & some people who obviously know nothing about what having a gifted child means respond in such a nasty way.

Unfortunately having a gifted child on Long Island can be quite a challenge for the parents. This has nothing to do with "elitists" or "better" children...it has to do with the fact that these kids need a much special education as children who need what we typically call "special education".

If someone posted that they wanted to start a group for kids who are in special education classes on this board would the responses be the same? No I think not. A gifted child cannot chose his rate of learning as much as a special needs child could not. They are both to be valued & giving the right tools for them so they can learn at their rate.

Also there is a huge misconception that gifted kids are groomed to be that way. My son started reading & writing at 18 months, I had 3 kids under 5 at the time & trust me I had no time for flash cards & "training" him to be smart..God just made him that way. I have 2 other kids who are bright but not what would be called gifted. That is just they way they are made.

My son was bullied in public school 2 & 3rd grade due to his academic ability. The principal told me not to worry that "he would level out"...Um he has an 146 IQ..how & why would they want him to level out & be just like everyone else. It was so frustrating. I spent K-3rd grade fighting & advocating for him 24/7. He was also ostrisized because (as mentioned before) his interests were years ahead of his age. Finally we had to send him to a private school for gifted kids. It took 3 jobs between my husband & me to make that happen...we are middle class & there was nothing elitist about it.

We have since moved out of NY to NC where gifted kids are given the tools, respect, & learning environment they deserve.

A group or meeting of people involved with & for gifted kids is a great idea & don't stop advocating for your child. Good luck.
Thank you for your support... maybe we'll follow you to NC ;-)

Old 06-13-2010, 03:46 PM

162 posts, read 735,180 times
Come on down! The weather is great & you will get what you pay for in taxes with the schools. You won't feel like your money is being wasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island