Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 06:39 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post

Every time someone points out a negative observation on this board, they get jumped all over. I don't understand this.
I notice this all the time. It seems like many on this board have rose colored glasses and feel the need to defend Las Vegas at every opportunity. It's just a hunch but I think when people get here they realize that it's a lot different than they though and then spend inordinate amounts of time convincing themselves that Vegas is the greatest place on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:20 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
I really dont think its the negative comments but more the WAY in which they're made.....

When someone starts out by titling their thread "ARE ALL HOUSES IN LAS VEGAS UGLY?" that tends to pix me off right away

b.t.w. the stunning architecture is NOT what brought me to Las Vegas

Old 05-13-2012, 08:18 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I really dont think its the negative comments but more the WAY in which they're made.....

When someone starts out by titling their thread "ARE ALL HOUSES IN LAS VEGAS UGLY?" that tends to pix me off right away

b.t.w. the stunning architecture is NOT what brought me to Las Vegas
Normally I would agree with you that a softer approach is better. But in this case, as it pertains to many of the houses that the OP is probably referring to
UGLY, is the only appropriate word. It is a criticism that has some validity I think. Doesn't mean LV isn't a great place to live or have many positives as well.

My concern is people need to be able to express themselves whether you agree with their observations or not. If you don't agree, then I would point out where and why you don't agree. People might think that is the "wild west" out there. "Hang em up, these no good for nothin outsiders."

Old 05-13-2012, 08:26 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Normally I would agree with you that a softer approach is better. But in this case, as it pertains to many of the houses that the OP is probably referring to
UGLY, is the only appropriate word. It is a criticism that has some validity I think. Doesn't mean LV isn't a great place to live or have many positives as well.

My concern is people need to be able to express themselves whether you agree with their observations or not. If you don't agree, then I would point out where and why you don't agree. People might think that is the "wild west" out there. "Hang em up, these no good for nothin outsiders."
I object to the phrase ALL OF THE HOUSES....I dont disagree that MANY....even MOST of them are SPROUL UGLY[Sproul was the prime developer for many years and was responsiblile for the UGLY stuff in Albuquerque]

Im only asking that people voice their concerns with a little class....ya come at me like a bull n I'll feed ya the horn.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:41 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
I have to agree. A lot of the homes are just, well, ugly. (sorry) I see quite a few nice ones or ones where people made the best of it because it is a good place to live, for them. I can't wait to get out there and start making my place a home.

My husband painted our house in the fall and he got quite a few requests from the neighbors who wanted theirs done also. Since this is what he does for a living it works out for us and them. Now, if I was there when he did it, I may have chosen a little different color, but you can't stray too far from what the HOA finds acceptable. I am definitely planning on de-browning the inside!!! (He repainted the whole inside too, he must have got leftover paint from City Center job or something! Everything brown or brown-ish! Except our bedroom)

Old 05-13-2012, 10:35 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
Take a look at this listing. What a gorgeous home and property. What a shame it is now in such a high crime area. Would love to see this in person.

4358 GOYA St, Henderson, NV 89121 | MLS# 1247957

Old 05-13-2012, 11:12 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Take a look at this listing. What a gorgeous home and property. What a shame it is now in such a high crime area. Would love to see this in person.

4358 GOYA St, Henderson, NV 89121 | MLS# 1247957
It is not in Henderson. It is in unincorporated Clark County.

It is in an area with virtually no crime.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:35 PM

104 posts, read 1,073,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I object to the phrase ALL OF THE HOUSES....I dont disagree that MANY....even MOST of them are SPROUL UGLY[Sproul was the prime developer for many years and was responsiblile for the UGLY stuff in Albuquerque]

Im only asking that people voice their concerns with a little class....ya come at me like a bull n I'll feed ya the horn.
I agree, the way the OP phrased the title was harsh. People have different perceptions of what ugly is and personally I don't even think that many houses in Vegas are really ugly. If you are referring to run-down, dirty, dilapidated houses, then yeah, I would call them ugly. But, if you are referring to cookie cutter, beige houses, I think ugly is a harsh word, and would refer to them as uninteresting, bland, or boring.

In many new communities in northern California, you can also find the same boring, beige, close together homes, but pay 5 times as much for it.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
This is what the houses look like where I'm from. They were built by master ship's carpenters. Most of these houses are 100-150 years old. And they hold up well because they're built from Dade County pine (now extinct), and constructed by real craftsmen. Not by monkeys framing houses with chain saws.

Compare this to Las Vegas and what word would YOU use to describe our cookie-cutter stucco houses?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:35 AM

104 posts, read 1,073,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
This is what the houses look like where I'm from. They were built by master ship's carpenters. Most of these houses are 100-150 years old. And they hold up well because they're built from Dade County pine (now extinct), and constructed by real craftsmen. Not by monkeys framing houses with chain saws.

Compare this to Las Vegas and what word would YOU use to describe our cookie-cutter stucco houses?
I grew up in Alameda, CA where there exists stunning Victorian houses. I still wouldn't call cookie-cutter houses ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas