Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:54 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,190,069 times

Advertisements

I personally feel that there are MANY homes that will be perfect match for your shinning personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:15 PM

23,317 posts, read 29,186,172 times
Go three miles east or west of the Strip, bordered by Tropicana and Charleston and check out some older, well-established inner city neighborhoods.

You'll find any number of old wealth residents still living there comfortably
who always be devoted to life in the inner city and all its conviences.

Try Huntridge. Or Flamingo Crest near Sandhill & Flamingo, where the neighborhood still looks like its out of Leave It To Beaver. Or take Swenson
west from Flamingo towards Tropicana and wander around that unique area for awhile. Or check out the areas around UMC Hospital.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,160 times
I apologize for offending any locals. My intention was to get a response, so thank you for that. To "airics," I am moving from Los Angeles, so that's not really an option. Thank you all for your honest opinions and insight. We are truly looking forward to moving to Las Vegas and all it has to offer.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,289,400 times
Say some more about what you are looking for...

We are actually pretty good at this...approached correctly and with some idea of what you would like to find.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:38 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,614,746 times
I remember driving to the Ravenholt Health Center to get my health card, I drove down Alta for a little bit afterwards (to check out Meadows Mall which was a disappointment), heading west and I remember seeing a sign that said "Alta Drive, A Las Vegas Historic Neighborhood" or something similar to those words. And I remember seeing a lot of older looking homes under the shade of lots of big trees. The neighborhood looked pretty nice and well kept as well

That may be something for you to look into. Alta Drive, west of Rancho. Its has a very established look to it, and for some reason it makes me think of LA even though I have never been to LA (perhaps because Rancho and Alta is such a busy intersection)

So my recommendation is Alta and Rancho area. Safer then areas around the strip, and much more well kept

Last edited by DavieJ89; 06-08-2010 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: fix some typos

Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,289,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I remember driving to the Ravenholt Health Center to get my health card, I drove down Alta for a little bit afterwards (to check out Meadows Mall which was a disappointment), heading west and I remember seeing a sign that said "Alta Drive, A Las Vegas Historic Neighborhood" or something similar to those words. And I remember seeing a lot of older looking homes under the shade of lots of big trees. The neighborhood looked pretty nice and well kept as well

That may be something for you to look into. Alta Drive, west of Rancho. Its has a very established look to it, and for some reason it makes me think of LA even though I have never been to LA (perhaps because Rancho and Alta is such a busy intersection)

So my recommendation is Alta and Rancho area. Safer then areas around the strip, and much more well kept
You have good taste. You are going to have to work hard Davie. A fixer in there will run 300K. Nice ones go well over a million. And Wynn has 10 acres in there were he is going to build a small place....

Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 PM

109 posts, read 312,976 times
I prefer Henderson / Green Valley. Most homes are painted in light colours to reflect the heat during the summer months, most roofs are tiled. Green Valley Area reminds me of Palm Desert.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:15 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,614,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You have good taste. You are going to have to work hard Davie. A fixer in there will run 300K. Nice ones go well over a million. And Wynn has 10 acres in there were he is going to build a small place....
I liked the look of the neighborhood, but I dont plan to live there any time soon. But I do realize it would take hard work to get a place like that. I don't like the location. I like the NW too much Seems like me and a good number of the regulars here live in the NW

I was just making a recommendation for the OP

I live in a cookie cutter subdivision and I'm happy with the house. Personally I don't like older homes and I could really care less if my home is a cookie cutter, just so long as it's in a safe neighborhood and is affordable

To be quite honest, I like the cookie cutter places. I don't know why. I'm weird I prefer more modern things to older things. Music being an exception

Old 06-09-2010, 01:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,298,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
I apologize for offending any locals. My intention was to get a response, so thank you for that. To "airics," I am moving from Los Angeles, so that's not really an option. Thank you all for your honest opinions and insight. We are truly looking forward to moving to Las Vegas and all it has to offer.
Hmm...housing in Las Vegas and Los Angeles seem quite similar to me.

I was thinking you were one of those types that has a victorian or some midwest type of housing...shingles or brick...and just had a preference for 'where you are from'.

But...from Los Angeles...when Las Vegas seems SO similar....surprises me.

(Personally, I love the Vegas housing...I love stucco...I love the southwest look).

Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 AM

23,317 posts, read 29,186,172 times
Personally, I love all the housing I've seen throughout Latin America: no wood, all concrete, rooftop patios, largely fireproof, built to withstand another world war.

Why we keep building with wood in this country must continually puzzle the rest of the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas