Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:25 PM

52 posts, read 228,657 times

Advertisements

these people need to buy fish instead....why do people treat animals so cruelly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,577,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I've never seen any fleas or ticks here. I have seen 1(ONE) mosquito though.

There were actually two mosquitos in my bathroom about a week ago. It made no sense.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:56 PM

22 posts, read 56,615 times
Dogs are just as good for burglar alarms when they are inside. Even with a fenced in yard, my dog is never outside alone. Dogs require time.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:29 AM

5 posts, read 17,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereinutep View Post
I think your exaggerating, and i have 2 labs outside here in texas all day 24/7. The temperatures have been 108 dgrees. The dogs themselves will not lay down on hot rocks during 100 degree days. Dogs will dig until exasperation until they find wet or cool dirt/sand. I just think your looking for trouble, as long as the dogs are not chained up they should be fine. I'm surprised the neighbor has put up with your jib. My dogs do have a shade, water, grass and a jacuzzi and their good.

Really?? You think I'm exaggerating? Are you really stupid or just simply looking for a reaction from me? Let me tell you something, I feel it is both.

Next thing I'll tell you is that you clearly need to put your glasses on. THEN read my original post. Now listen up dear, YOUR dogs have shade, water, grass AND a jacuzzi. The dogs I am speaking of have NOTHING but rocks. ROCKS ONLY. NO SHADE. NO GRASS. NO POOL. NO ACCESS TO FRESH WATER. AT TIMES THEY HAVE NO WATER. You obviously are not familiar with Vegas soil sweetie. You cannot dig & hope to find cooler soil. This is a desert. Not a beach.
So I will kindly ask you to keep your mouth shut.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:07 AM

22 posts, read 40,960 times
Our neighbor killed their dog by leaving it out. They got another dog. Such is life in Vegas.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:46 AM

839 posts, read 2,419,870 times
I live in a similar arid climate where daytime temps frequently exceed 100f. I have two dogs, a Norwegian Elkhound and a goofy little Welsh Corgi pup I bought for my girls. Most of the year I'm of the opinion that outside is the best place for dogs, particularly if they live in a rural area like mine do. That said, summer weather here is too hot for the elkhound, he is just miserable. Now, when we have a cold snap in winter, good luck getting him to come in!

When it is necessary to leave the dogs out in hot weather, I have a shaded, sheltered area on the north side of the house and I provide a kiddie pool filled with cold, clean water for them. I also have one of those water mister things that I set by their shelter. The Corgi seems to fare pretty well, but the Elkie will usually lay down in the pool. He doesn't like it much, but he'll survive.

I'm not a whacko PETA guy by any means, but if you are going to have a dog, you must provide what it needs to survive and be comfortable. To not do so is just cruel.

People who are not prepared to care for their pets shouldn't own them.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 AM

848 posts, read 1,955,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali6 View Post
The dogs I am speaking of have NOTHING but rocks. ROCKS ONLY. NO SHADE. NO GRASS. NO POOL. NO ACCESS TO FRESH WATER. AT TIMES THEY HAVE NO WATER. You obviously are not familiar with Vegas soil sweetie. You cannot dig & hope to find cooler soil. This is a desert. Not a beach.
Cali6: It's been over a month since your original post. I'm interested in hearing what's transpired since, i.e., have you called the SPCA or any other rescue?

If you have a video camera, take some movies of the dogs and the entire yard, with the purpose of clearly illustrating their plight. Contact local news stations about the fact that animal rescue sees no problem with it. Put it on utube with the city in which the dogs are located. It may prompt an outpouring of indignation from the public which might force animal rescue to respond.

In the meantime, can you put out a large bowl of water for them or set up a sprinkler that will water their yard?

Please know I'm not attacking you in any way - just trying to think of ideas off the top of my head....

Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 AM

54 posts, read 128,556 times
We have two dogs, a ChowPai mix and a pit bull. My dogs stay inside most of the day until we return home and then they are outside until we go to bed. On the weekends, we keep them outside most of the time, providing them with cold water throughout the day. We do periodically bring them in if we feel they really need to cool down.

We do this so they can get exercise (admittedly, we aren't the best at walking them on a regular basis) and so we can keep a semi-clean house. We feel that the shade in our backyard, with the grass and the cold water keeps them cool enough. We love our dogs, but they like the sun just as much as any human. No sense in keeping them locked up in air conditioning forever.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 PM

As for everyone else, thank you. You have all been kind and I appreciate that you understand. It is quite distressing to see these pets treated this way. Unfortunately Las Vegas doesn't do much for pit bulls b/c they are so overloaded with people constantly dumping pits at the pound.

For now, I have been keeping an eye on the dogs and visiting them when the owners aren't home.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
Cali6: It's been over a month since your original post. I'm interested in hearing what's transpired since, i.e., have you called the SPCA or any other rescue?

If you have a video camera, take some movies of the dogs and the entire yard, with the purpose of clearly illustrating their plight. Contact local news stations about the fact that animal rescue sees no problem with it. Put it on utube with the city in which the dogs are located. It may prompt an outpouring of indignation from the public which might force animal rescue to respond.

In the meantime, can you put out a large bowl of water for them or set up a sprinkler that will water their yard?

Please know I'm not attacking you in any way - just trying to think of ideas off the top of my head....

I have contacted animal control repeatedly. They just do not seem to care. I was told that they are overloaded with pit bulls. Sometimes receiving 200 drop offs a day. I can see why they don't give two ****s about my neighbors dogs. So, it's up to me. I have been keeping an eye on them. I have spoken to the women once before and plan to leave a letter on her door. Luckily when temps. reached over 110* they let the dogs in. Still, on days that are 100* it's unbearable. Sad.
I am going to continue and do things the legal way. If nothing happens soon though, I may have to go with a couple other plans I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas