Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:40 AM

289 posts, read 1,039,826 times

Advertisements

Does anybody here in Vegas have a pet dog? How do they handle the summer heat? I can't imagine them spending much time outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 10:55 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Dogs do fine in Vegas. They want to be part of the family and be where you are. They can spend as much time outside as you do. They need lots of water. My dog likes ice too. I have a sort of dog hammock he can lay in and be off the ground and in the shade. I run and walk my dog in the mornings or evenings, just not in the heat of the day. Same thing with fetch or other vigorous play. If my dog is hot, he will go swimming. I had to teach him where the stairs were so he could get out of the pool. I also taught him to use the diving board! In the hottest time of the day, Spot wants to lay in the AC. Just like us!

I don't think I would have a husky or a malamute in Vegas. But most dogs are fine if their owner uses common sense. Spot loves to go in the car, but only in the winter.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:08 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
Having dogs in Las Vegas is really no different than having them in a climate that gets snow and cold. You don't want to leave them outside for long periods of time in the heat (or in the freezing cold). But as long as you give them access to water and them in the house they are just fine.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:59 AM

15 posts, read 88,524 times
I don't currently have a dog but many of my neighbors do. In the summer, they walk them early before the heat of the day and at sundown. They should not be kept outside in the yard for long periods of time when it is hot. At other times, keep them inside in the AC with you and they will be fine.

We had some very cold weather last week and some people put cute little sweaters on their small dogs. Same treatment in cold weather as in hot weather.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
My dog lays out in the sun on the patio bricks in the height of the heat. He believes the steps were put in the swimming pool just so he can sit on the top one three quarter submerged. Lays in the sun a while hits the pool...lays in the sun...hits the pool...you got the idea.

When it is hot and we go walking he will also run through any available sprinklers. I carry water and share it with him. Started out carrying a water bowl but now just use my hand. He is happy with that.

The feral cat in the backyard moves to shade in the heat. It is also amazing how she loses half her size when she goes from her winter hair to her summer hair.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:56 PM

30 posts, read 203,168 times
this is one thing I am worried about come summer, I assume I will have to leave my a/c on 24 hours a day, I currently pay about $50 a month in electric without using alot, anyone have any idea what the number will be come summer when my a/c is on 24/7?

Old 02-02-2007, 07:20 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,687,180 times
Well, wherever you are moving to, you can always give the address to Nevada Power and they will tell you the average bill. Usually its around 250 in the summer months, but it really depends on the age of the home, whether its one-story or two-story, dual-or-single zone A/c, or what ever else you consume.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
Well, wherever you are moving to, you can always give the address to Nevada Power and they will tell you the average bill. Usually its around 250 in the summer months, but it really depends on the age of the home, whether its one-story or two-story, dual-or-single zone A/c, or what ever else you consume.
wow I hope it isnt anything close to $250,, I just have a 1 bedroom apartment

Old 02-03-2007, 06:23 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
A 1BR apartment will likely not top $100/month in the summer. You've got to be smart about it too- if you're going to be out of the house all day at work, set the AC up to say 78, and then drop it back down when you get home.

Bob

Old 02-03-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
A 1BR apartment will likely not top $100/month in the summer. You've got to be smart about it too- if you're going to be out of the house all day at work, set the AC up to say 78, and then drop it back down when you get home.

Bob
yea but the thing is I have a dog so I'd probably have to keep the a/c on 24/7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: