Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 17,705 times

Advertisements

Well to PAS36BH- There is a problem even if animal control people don't agree. You see, they are merely people doing their job, in a horrible way. Their judgement is way off.

*These dogs have no shade. So NO shelter.
*No Pool
*They sleep on rocks. Hot rocks. It 110* degrees today!!
*They're constantly panting and in distress.
*Nobody and I mean NOBODY walks them, plays with them, let's them in, sprays them to cool them down.

I stay home all day. I have 4 kids. I have been watching these animals for a while now. It's not okay.

To the people to see things the way I do, thank you very much for your suggestions. I actually know somebody that works for channel 5 news. I may go that route. I definitely will NOT give up.

Like I said, these are large breed dogs. Ask any Vet if dogs can die from heat stroke. They can. What a miserable death.

I'm looking for suggestions. Not for people to tell me there is nothing wrong. So PAS36BH & WestieJeff, it's definitely not over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:33 PM

577 posts, read 1,760,137 times
My dogs love their kiddie pool in the summer... they dont' stay outside all day though but I think thats a good idea so they can cool off. Worth a try. Or set up misters on the fence on your side that go over to their side or a sprinkler on.. it brings down the temp a lot. Legally there isnt much you can do if animal control showed up and checked it out .. unless it gets worse or changes. I'm sorry I'd be frustrated too... good luck!

Old 06-07-2010, 10:50 PM

187 posts, read 482,073 times
I think your exaggerating, and i have 2 labs outside here in texas all day 24/7. The temperatures have been 108 dgrees. The dogs themselves will not lay down on hot rocks during 100 degree days. Dogs will dig until exasperation until they find wet or cool dirt/sand. I just think your looking for trouble, as long as the dogs are not chained up they should be fine. I'm surprised the neighbor has put up with your jib. My dogs do have a shade, water, grass and a jacuzzi and their good.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:38 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,021,628 times
what kind of dogs are these? sounds like my old neighbors.. they were terrible to their dogs

Old 06-08-2010, 01:05 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,247,947 times
My guess, unless your neighbor is some kind of psycho, is that you might have better success talking to your neighbor. If your neighbor is unreasonable, then by all means unleash the news and the law.

I still vote that you try a compassionate plea with your neighbor. Most people are not unreasonable.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:09 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,142,068 times
yesterday it was 110 degrees....my Eskimo and my Sheltie were curled up on pillows on our bed....the dumbasaboxofrocks SharPei was stretched out in the back yard IN THE SUN baking what few brain cells he has left.....

Old 06-08-2010, 01:04 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,267,991 times
Would the news really go to a persons house to see if their dogs have shade & shelter? I'm pretty sure they have more important things to cover.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:15 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,062,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Offer to give the neighbor a kiddie pool full of water. You are clearly very empathetic to the dogs needs as am I when it comes to animals. I can't see why they would refuse a free gift.
Good idea! I would just bring it over and say I bought a little gift for the dogs.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,062,004 times
My dogs still like their time outside, even in the summer but I have a large pool and they love to swim. Also a covered patio. I try to limit their outside time when it's the hottest part of the day and let them outside mostly when it's dark. I walk them in the dark too.

I like it best when the temps are moderate and I can leave the AC off. Then I can just leave the patio doors open and the dogs come and go as they please. But those days are gone for a few months now!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:37 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,481,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali6 View Post
I don't know what to do anymore! My neighbors keep their dogs outside all day! It's almost 110* degrees now! I've talked to the people that own these dogs and they let me know that the dogs belong outside b/c they've never been allowed inside. Therefore, they are not potty trained.

The two dogs are large breeds. Both about 7 years old. Outside 24 hours a day. I called animal control and they did a well check. According to Las Vegas Animal Control: The dogs have a kids' doll house they can get into for shade.

Seriously.

Please let me know what I should do! These dogs look miserable. Just plain miserable.

** Another note on these poor pups: They DO NOT have pads to sleep on. They sleep on ROCKS. The doll house is tiny. There is no way they could fit into it together and on top of that it's plastic!!!
This is so disheartening...we have people like this across the street and down a bit from my house. They have a German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix dog that they keep outside during all sorts of severe weather. They have a doghouse for her and always keep cold water for her, and she's confined to a pen. Apparently, the woman of the house doesn't like dogs in the house (or the yard) and it's apparent, the dog is totally not socialized.

It breaks your heart to know that the dog is "out there" in the heat (at least the pen is mostly shaded and has a dirt floor). A neighbor called Animal Control 2 years ago about it, they came out, they said so long as the dog has shade and a fresh supply of water/food they can't do anything about it.

Me and the concerned neighbor have spoken to the dog owner and let her know how stressful it is to keep a dog outside during the brutally hot and very chilly winter nights...she now (not too often though) allows the dog to come inside and locks her in the laundry room.

Now, this is just my opinion, but really, if people want to have such a social, pack orientated animal such as a dog, they have to treat it like a member of the family or not have one at all.

Last edited by MomMom; 06-08-2010 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: add "a"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas