Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:54 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,536,967 times
Thanks, airics. But the fact that Kaiminani and I disagree on this one topic, doesn't really mean that either one of us is right...or wrong. It's just differing opinions from different views. There will be people that agree with his opinion, and people that agree with mine...and maybe others with total different opinion to either of us.

Gotta admit, though, being accused of quoting a bushism, did sting a bit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 03:44 PM

515 posts, read 1,181,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Sorry Kali, bit I've travelled and jfk is correct in his opinions
An opinion without an example is meaningless. Who hated you for simply being an american? What were the circumstances? Were they jingoists?

I've given two broad non-anecdotal, verifiable examples - american film industry dominates over local productions for almost the entire world, that wouldn't happen if the local populations really hated americans in any significant number. Nor would over a million people legally immigrate here each year (with probably an order of magnitude more turned away if the green-card lottery stats are any indication) if they hated americans.

Anecdotally, myself and family have been to Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia, India, South Africa, Thailand and probably a few more that I'm forgetting and have never had a conversation with someone who hated us, for being American or for any other reason for that matter. I'm sure some people in those countries would bear us a grudge personally because they lack perspective, but we didn't see any sign of them.

PS It's not Kali either. I'm not the black mother, there isn't even an L in my username.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:31 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,247,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Sorry Kali, bit I've travelled and jfk is correct in his opinions
Well, maybe if we stop butchering, slaughtering and invading their countries to steal their resources they'd have a slightly higher opinion of the US. Now take it to P&O where it belongs.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
Geo....you resemble a Christmas Goose.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:42 PM

364 posts, read 992,265 times
I echo the single industry dilemma. The city had a chance to diversify its economy after 9/11 but we failed to do so. I say "we" as I am part of that "we" as I truly thought that gaming was impervious to bad economic times (based on history). I know we had a dip after 9/11 but I also knew that the city would come back stronger than ever - and I was proven right. The city's tourism levels soon after 9/11 boasted historic records.

Many people relocated here in the first place due to the availability of high wages jobs with little or no skills. This is probably one of the few cities in the world - if not the only city - where a valet parker can make more than a math professor.

I think Las Vegas should be treated as a hometown sports team - stick with it during the bad times as the good times are just around the corner.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:38 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,418,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
I echo the single industry dilemma. The city had a chance to diversify its economy after 9/11 but we failed to do so. I say "we" as I am part of that "we" as I truly thought that gaming was impervious to bad economic times (based on history). I know we had a dip after 9/11 but I also knew that the city would come back stronger than ever - and I was proven right. The city's tourism levels soon after 9/11 boasted historic records.

Many people relocated here in the first place due to the availability of high wages jobs with little or no skills. This is probably one of the few cities in the world - if not the only city - where a valet parker can make more than a math professor.

I think Las Vegas should be treated as a hometown sports team - stick with it during the bad times as the good times are just around the corner.
i guess i am a little confused here....didn't you say that leaving LV was the best decision you'd ever made? you called it a cesspool built on greed and broken dreams that stands for nothing......

just curious as to why the change of heart? be interesting to hear what brought you back...

Old 03-04-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
i guess i am a little confused here....didn't you say that leaving LV was the best decision you'd ever made? you called it a cesspool built on greed and broken dreams that stands for nothing......

just curious as to why the change of heart? be interesting to hear what brought you back...
A cesspool built on greed and broken dreams. Ha! Boy, I could be bitter when I'm pissy (is it OK if I say that, City-Data?). And good memory. I did say that and when I left, I couldn't wait to get out of the city.

I'm checking to see if any threads have been started by former residents who couldn't wait to leave but are glad to be back. If not, I want to start one as I'm also curious as to who have returned and for what reason.

For me, though, the saying that absence does make the heart grow fonder is true. I just needed some time to get out of here and reflect. At the time, I was also bitter at the elimination of my job (of course, I wasn't the only one whose job was eliminated) and the way it was handled. In retrospect, my bosses even admitted that they could have handled the situation better (I'm still in touch with them as networking is still important to me) and they apologized for the way they handled the situation (of course, now I realize that telling all those people that their jobs were eliminated couldn't have been easy for them as well).

What brought me back though is that there really is no place like Las Vegas. I was raised here and I've seen a lot of changes. Some for the better, some not but that's progress with any city. But there really is no place like Las Vegas - and that's a good thing.

I missed the little things - going into a grocery store and playing quarter slots; hiking Red Rock; going to Lake Mead; Town Square; Blue Martini; The District; softball; bowling at Red Rock; O'Sheas on St Patty's Day; Las Vegas Athletic Club; etc. Stuff I just took for granted.

Again, I was bitter at having my job eliminated (after all, I had visions of me retiring from the company) but in reality, it was the best thing to happen to me. It gave me a chance to get away, think about what I really wanted and how to cope in the future if such a set-back happened again.

I am saddened to hear that people are leaving but it's probably the best thing for them. If they're like me, they'll come back and find a way to contribute back to society and the economic community.

Sometimes I feel bad for having "abandoned" Las Vegas but if I didn't get away, then I would have been one of those who are consistently complaining about the city.

And this forum doesn't need any more of those people around.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:43 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post

This is one of those overdone bits. I doubt there is any great advantage to being diverse in a general meltdown. Watch the Inland Empire get slaughtered with all the purported diversity of So Cal.

And don't kid yourself...Valet parkers do not make more money than a Math Professor. They do better than a school teacher maybe. But the math guys are better than that.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:43 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,418,762 times
yeah...i thought the your user name sounded familiar. i assume (hope) you came back and found a job? (or vice versa)

after being here for a year and a half, i can identify a bit w/ the people who speak so strongly against LV, but i still find the positives (some of which you mentioned) still outweigh the negatives. at least for me....

i would also be interested to hear from people who left and then came back...might illustrate that problems in LV are indicative of problems elsewhere (e.g., when economy here lags it is because economies elsewhere are suffering). unfortunately, pbby not a rosy picture .

Old 03-04-2009, 07:04 PM

Unfortunately, no job yet. But I'm hardly alone in that area. I'm sure something will pan out eventually.

Olecapt, I should have said math assistant professor. I worked in a hotel with a math assistant professor (he worked valet at night) and his valet job paid more than what he was making as an assistant professor (at least that's what he told me). Hopefully associate and full professors make more, especially in that arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas