Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times

Advertisements

Well here's another article knocking the Vegas living..

Nevada's boom ends in record number of empty homes - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110315/ap_on_bi_ge/us_nevada_housing - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 01:09 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
1 out of 7 houses were and may still be empty. I'd be interested to know how many squatters are inside these houses across the valley.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:24 PM

351 posts, read 837,089 times
So today there are twice as many vacant houses as in 2000? Not so bad when you consider how many more houses total there are, right?

Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,160 times
I am so glad that I was able to come out ahead in this foreclosure crisis. I remember when everyone was telling me I had to buy, buy buy. That prices were only going up.

I thought the price of a house was astronomical in 2005 when I helped My grandmother sale her house for 300k, the same house she purchased for around 80k I believe in the 80's.

Last summer I purchased a home using a VA loan and feel pretty good about it.

When we went searching for a new home it told a surprising story as we looked at many short sale homes where often the family was still living inside these homes. I could see the look of fear and uncertainty in their eyes, the despair and grief as they watched strangers come in and survey a home which once symbolized their hopes and dreams.

We've all known friends who have had their lives shattered by this. I have a few friends still hanging on by a thread. The people I feel the worst for are the elderly.

I feel strange to be one of the few winners out of all this. I've prospered during these times because I saw it coming. I've even started my own company that capitalizes off of cleaning and repairing these homes. I look back and certainly don't think I am smarter than all those who lost money, just luckier.

I believe in Vegas and I know we will eventually come back stronger than ever before. I'm not an economist so I can't tell you when, it will be this decade though. The world is still entranced by Vegas. The lure and the risk of this small desert town still captivates the imagination.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:41 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
I feel strange to be one of the few winners out of all this. I've prospered during these times because I saw it coming. I've even started my own company that capitalizes off of cleaning and repairing these homes. I look back and certainly don't think I am smarter than all those who lost money, just luckier.
Depends on your definition of "smarter", but by being nervous about home prices that were WAY above the long-term trend line, you were at minimum more rational and disciplined than most. I'll bet most people didn't even bother to compare.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:04 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times
Quote:
The Ackerly family moved into a rental house after they defaulted on their mortgage. The value of their $240,000 North Las Vegas home was worth $80,000 by the time they left. Unlike some of their neighbors, they didn't take the new kitchen cabinets, or the palm trees they had planted in the yard, or any of the other improvements they lovingly made to the house after they moved in.
Where is the house?
I will buy it!

Jonathan

Old 03-16-2011, 08:24 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Where is the house?
I will buy it!

Jonathan
Didn't it say "North Vegas" already?
You want to buy in "North Vegas"? ....go ahead, nobody is holding you back

Old 03-16-2011, 08:40 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,480 times
This isn't really new information in the real-estate community most realtors are aware of this, it's information that as a buyer you need to know. Any one that is thinking of purchasing needs to know that prices could still go down, how much now one really knows you can play with numbers all day long to make it come out just about any way you want.Any one purchasing in our market has to know the volatility of the housing market.

However knowing what is going on out here as a buyer or an investor you have to plan for long term, some say 5 yrs some say 10 yrs. When purchasing a property now days purchase it to enjoy and if you can't afford an upset meaning a loss of job or reduction of income source of any kind you must think hard before purchasing. Prices are at all time low and interest on loans are low it could be an ideal time to purchase for some.

Granted investors are a different breed of buyer and they will sniff out the best deals and flip, some will put renters in them and then flip. Some investors are patient and will wait and see how this plays out and have a long term plan. Where as the average buyer should look at their personal finances and plan to see if it fits in for a long term plan and not just the short term.

If you want to wait and see how much lower prices will go that may be the better way to go for that buyer. As a buyer you need to look at why you want the property and access does it make sense to you financially and can you afford it if something goes wrong? Also keep in mind that the neighborhood you purchase in could have these empty homes in the community which could continue to cause values to go down.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:52 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Chance favors the prepared mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas