Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM

11 posts, read 21,066 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at moving to Las Vegas this fall and are wondering about finding a good job and nice apartment. I will be transferring to United Health Care. My wife does home health care but is not a CNA. I'm in my mid 40s and wife is in her late 30s. Will also be looking for a great Non Denominational Church.

I would just like some of your thoughts/opinions. We have lived in Missouri our entire lives and are looking forward to a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 05:13 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,788,643 times
Take a vacation during July and form your own opinions. Some people like it, and some people hate it. It would be a shame to not come out for a visit.

If I may ask, what is your trade?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:41 PM

I am currently in the pharmaceutical field. I currently work for OptumRx , which is owned by United Health Care , in the Medical Billing dept. I have years of call center experience. I also have many years of banking and mutual fund experience. I enjoy what I do and look forward to the day that
I'm eligible to transfer to Las Vegas with UHC. (About 4 more months) I have been to Vegas many times and knew that is where I wanted to relocate to. My wife, on the other hand, is not sure about it. She likes KC. I've never liked KC.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:50 PM

399 posts, read 694,506 times
I moved to Las Vegas almost 2 years ago from the midwest and I LOVE IT! Yes, the summers are hot but without the humidity they are not as bad as Missouri + you'll love Las Vegas winters! Another plus, Las Vegas is not in tornado alley like KC. You might miss all the green grass in KC, but the Las Vegas valley has a certain and special beauty all it's own. The city has everything you need and is a 24 hour town. You have all the shows and night life of Las Vegas if that "floats your boat". Las Vegas has a much lower crime rate than KC too! Las Vegas commutes will seem easier to you, though we have a lot of crazy drivers (and pedestrians too).

Jobs are tough but if you can transfer that would be ideal. I think your wife will need to become a CNA to work in home health care, but you'll need to Google Nevada requirements to make sure. Your name sounds like you need to move, though there is some truth to the saying "Happy wife, happy life". I think your wife will warm up to Las Vegas in a hurry. Good luck and best wishes!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 PM

15 posts, read 27,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Take a vacation during July and form your own opinions. Some people like it, and some people hate it. It would be a shame to not come out for a visit.
We are in the same metro as the OP, and visited LV last July - the weather was better in LV that week.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 PM

134 posts, read 177,994 times
I like KC. I was just out there visiting friends. It's St. Louis (I lived there for 4.5 years) that I hated. There is no grass out here. Everything is brown....EVERYTHING. The ground. The houses. The land in general. etc....

Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,283,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxflyboy View Post
I like KC. I was just out there visiting friends. It's St. Louis (I lived there for 4.5 years) that I hated. There is no grass out here. Everything is brown....EVERYTHING. The ground. The houses. The land in general. etc....
On the other hand, everything remains brown in Las Vegas while everything in KC is WHITE...as in feet of snow...

Old 04-25-2013, 05:39 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,132,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
On the other hand, everything remains brown in Las Vegas while everything in KC is WHITE...as in feet of snow...
ACTUALLY no.....Las Vegas is in the middle of spring and the cactii and other desert dwellers are puttin on their show.....

i live in Kingman....2 hrs south and a little cooler then LV.

Today I did a cout of Roses, Iris, cnad cactus blooms...

Roses...................785 rose bloom
Iris.......................143 Iris in bloom
Cactus...................97 Cactii blooms

and this is just the first bloom of the year

Old 04-26-2013, 02:14 PM

23 posts, read 42,819 times
My husband and I were raised in KC, MO. We moved here 2 years ago from Blue Springs, MO (right outside of KC) and we have not once regretted our decision. It was certainly the best move we could have made when thinking weather and scenery. In Missouri there's not much to look at other than other homes/neighborhoods etc. Here almost everywhere you look there's mountains and beautiful areas. Sure there's some bland areas here, but really there's just no comparison.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 PM

Blue Springs is where we live now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas