Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:51 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,534,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't the same people who are saying don't come here without a job the same ones who say you have to live here already to get hired?
Establishing residence and then looking for a job is one thing...but doing it with zero dollars in the pocket is what I'd advise against. Anyway, I do wish Funky the best...he certainly seems to have the "go get it" attitude needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 AM

143 posts, read 328,082 times
Reading these forums, I am suprised to see the number of people who want to pick up and go somewhere new just because, then think about finding a job. That thought process seems backwards to me.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:18 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,398,075 times
Over the years I have heard from dozens of people that they just decided to pick up and move here and look for a job. I did it myself. A former local weatherman came to me about a job at Ch 3 one time. It turned out that he came here from my home town after quitting his job at the same TV station where I had quit nearly twenty years before for the same reason...friends told him how easy it was to get a better job in Las Vegas.

What's the difference if you're broke here or broke wherever you come from? Broke is broke and the odds of doing better here are higher than most other places, even now. Besides, the weather is better here and there's more to enjoy for free while looking for a job.

What I can't stand are those people who purposely come here from other places just to file for welfare with no intention of looking for a job.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:27 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,398,075 times
BTW: You are born with a spirit of adventure. Once you lose that you are done for. So if somebody wants to pack up and move to Las Vegas or Podunk to try to make a better life we should support their decision, not criticize them. Besides, why is everybody always afraid, especially for the other guy who he has nothing to do with? If that is you, did somebody beat you down and take away your own spirit of adventure or self determinism? Well, reach down and grab yourself by the bootstraps and take it back.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:53 PM

143 posts, read 328,082 times
True. I can see doing it for someone who is young and just setting out or if someone is going nowhere in his current location. I don't understand why someone who has a family would do it just for a change of scenery. It doesn't seem fair to the children who don't get to make the decison.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:03 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,698,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyButler7000 View Post
True. I can see doing it for someone who is young and just setting out or if someone is going nowhere in his current location. I don't understand why someone who has a family would do it just for a change of scenery. It doesn't seem fair to the children who don't get to make the decison.
exactly, my grandparents make me feel bad for the choice my parents made 12 years ago, i didn't make the choice to move here and they never even bother to visit anyways, we make it there at least a week every year...

i am also so detached from my other family members, they just feel like strangers when i see them...and my siblings make me feel bad when they tell me great stories of where we used to live...

Old 01-30-2009, 03:01 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,136,958 times
I think that lots of American people are spoiled in certain ways. Lots of Americans are so wealthy, and their lives are so stable, that they would never even fathom the idea of moving somewhere totally broke, with nowhere to live. Or taking other such risks.

I see people writing posts on city data saying things like "I just got a job making 60K a year in Xcity, is this enough to survive?". And I just can't believe they would even ask that.

Last year I moved across the world to a foreign country with two hundred bucks and two bags of stuff. Everyone told me I was crazy and people were scared of what might happen to me. But it all worked out fine. And I had what goes down as the most amazing experience of my entire life BECAUSE I took such a ridiculous risk. It changed me in profound ways. In fact, I dream every day of doing it all over again.

And I met people out there who hustle so hard every day just to survive. I met people who were so hardcore, and so driven just to live a lifestyle that is much less wealthy than a minimum wage worker in the US.

I spent a long time out there in several different countries. When I got back to the US, I felt a little bit disgusted with peoples greed and selfishness here. As well as the lack of community and individualist attitude. America really is a bubble. And there are soooooo many Americans who just don't even know how good they have it. They have tons of money and everything they could ever need. But they still go to shrinks because they are screwed up in the head and creating problems for themselves. Please....

A lot of people seriously do not know what they are capable of. When your back is against the wall, you will do some amazing and powerful things. Taking a big risk and entering a situation in which everything could go wrong is a wonderful thing to do if you ask me. It reminds you of what it feels like to really be alive and fight for your life. It makes you find yourself and use everything you have in you.

There are better things in life than money. Learn to live without money and material things and be happy, and that is a better accomplishment than saving money.

When you are about to die, and you are thinking about your life. What is going to be important to you at that moment? Is it going to be the awesome things you did and the risks you took? Or is it going to be how much money you had and how comfortable you were? I think that the risks and adventure will be more important.

By the way, can I crash on your couch? Haha, just kidding.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:27 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,245,552 times
Honestly, there isn't a place in the US where unemployment isn't bad. We are heading toward 25% unemployment like we had in 1933. Soup lines and cardboard box villages will become commonplace.

I was in Vegas around New Year's & the weather was awful...WAY too cold. I hear you all have great weather in July and August though.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:16 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,722,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Honestly, there isn't a place in the US where unemployment isn't bad. We are heading toward 25% unemployment like we had in 1933. Soup lines and cardboard box villages will become commonplace.

I was in Vegas around New Year's & the weather was awful...WAY too cold. I hear you all have great weather in July and August though.
I hope your kidding right? Its was in the 40's with no wind? Too Cold?? Are you from Florida? July and Aug is hot, but it is nice

Old 01-30-2009, 08:58 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,534,210 times
Funky....great post. However, I'm just wondering if what you write about is truly only possible if one lives as an individualist. I'm not knocking individualism here...but I just don't think what you suggest is possible when you mix in a wife and kids. Once you truly give yourself to others (i.e., no longer an individualist) there is a certain dependence and expectation that comes with partnership, whether it be with a spouse, girlfriend or kids. While in those relationships, one looks for individualism is small areas...but somewhere along the way, those in dependent relationships justify that the partnership is worth more than the freedom to pursue what one wants just for him/herself.

While I miss that free spirit attitude that you speak of...I truly know that I am happier in life being married to the woman I truly love. For me, it's the true love part (with all of its responsibilities and expectations of me) that make it worth sacrificing the freedom.

For you...I wish you the best in your travels. You are obviously a survivor and an adventurist. Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas