Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 PM

65 posts, read 273,200 times

Advertisements

Teens charged in shooting death of Palo Verde student get separate trials - Las Vegas Sun

I know that you have crime but a drive-by in Summerlin?

It seems like there is more crime in Summerlin vs Green Valley. Any reasons why? I am considering both of these areas for a relocation.

Curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,222,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwame Y View Post
Teens charged in shooting death of Palo Verde student get separate trials - Las Vegas Sun

I know that you have crime but a drive-by in Summerlin?

It seems like there is more crime in Summerlin vs Green Valley. Any reasons why? I am considering both of these areas for a relocation.

Curious.
Nonsense. A meteorite can strike any where.

Worst school age crime in the last few years occured in a one room school house in Amish Pennsylvania.

There is no substantial difference between Summerlin and GV or any of the other nice areas. For the lowest live in the Sun Cities or the rural preserves. An amazing fact. If no younger people or few people...no crime.

Crime in Las Vegas

Old 01-15-2009, 10:35 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,343,853 times
Agreed. Crime happens everywhere from big cities like NYC to small one-horse towns as in Olecapt's example.

It's just the frequency is low here in Vegas.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:38 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,880 times
olecapt is right it is a coin toss between Summerlin and GV. When it comes to Vegas a drive-by can happen anytime and any place in Vegas same as any other big city. I feel safer in Vegas than South Florida.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:48 PM

65 posts, read 273,200 times
Is this case isolated? Are there other ones like this in the past year? I hear mention of gang signs? I know crime can happen anywhere, but some areas "are" worse than others.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:06 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,716,508 times
Quote:
Is this case isolated? Are there other ones like this in the past year? I hear mention of gang signs? I know crime can happen anywhere, but some areas "are" worse than others.
Don't worry, this is not Compton, CA.. you don't have to worry about real gang members, maybe the wanna bees are the ones you will see.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,511,811 times
Quote:
If you're comin' from Philly...Las Vegas (especially Summerlin) is a piece of cake.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,371,558 times
The schools are so heavily influenced by psychiatry and psychology that they are turning our kids into psych experiments. They have ruined our kids and the weaker ones are dangerous. It doesn't matter whether you're in Las Vegas or some rural town in Ohio. Kids are becoming more and more violent everywhere because they have had the concept of right and wrong taken from them. And you can't blame the parents for not teaching them right from wrong because it was taken from them first. It started in the 1940s right after WW II when the APA was formed and psychs started going to Russia and Germany to study. It was in the 60s that they pretty much got full control of the school system. They promoted drug use and instant gratification as OK, and started making kids think that their parents were bad. Then they told the parents that it was child neglect to let the kids go undisciplined, but it is child abuse to discipline them, and the low life judges and lawyers agree, since they too have a vested interest in social chaos. Parents don't know which way to turn so they give up and don't do anything. So you have kids with guns all over the place shooting at other kids over nothing.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:03 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
The schools are so heavily influenced by psychiatry and psychology that they are turning our kids into psych experiments.
I agree with some of what you say, but share your STRESS and CONCERN 100%.

I don't know about blaming it on 'education', although I think there are very serious SOCIAL problems in the United States, that plays itself out in the school system.

Personally, I think it is just the society we live in in the United States. It is nearly impossible to get by on two-income households and raise a family, let alone a 1-income 1-parent income which is the case with many of these kids.

Most kids are socialized and learn from PEERS above all else. Parents and teachers are low on the totem pole...and I would certainly say teachers are MUCH MUCH lower on the totem pole. They don't get any respect from STUDENTS, and the system is setup these days where PARENTS are even more disrespectful to the teachers.

Anyways, regardless of the details, the heart and soul of your message, I 100% agree with!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:11 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,478,815 times
That particular high school (Palo Verde) has children bussed in from from a so-called "lower" economic area...it's been a long standing sore point with the folks of Summerlin and their children since Palo Verde opened.

Reason is that the high school where the kids are bussed from is terribly over-crowded...Palo Verde was the best choice for it's lower student count...

This incident was isolated...and a direct result of this long standing conflict.

This type of thing is just NOT the norm for Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas