Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:02 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Tiger Beer, every school shooting in this country has been kids on psych drugs, or rather kids that took the drugs, then when they stopped the drugs made them suicidal. There is no reason to drug your own children. Kids have energy and hyperactivity is a made up disease. Usually the reason for their behavior in school is they are confused, and don't want to be there, but they are forced to sit there and become more confused. The answer is to find their confusion and correct it, not to drug them as punishment for being kids. Kids misbehave, especially when they're bored. Drugging them is crime, and it only makes them worse. Who in their right mind would turn their own kids into drug addicts on the word of some idiot who has never cured anything? In fact the idiots have never even properly diagnosed anything correctly because they really don't have definitions for any of their made up diseases. Psychs actually make up a disease du jour and vote on the ones to market to unsuspecting fools who buy into their PR BS. If people knew how many psychs are sent to jail every year for abusing patients (victims?) they would run them all out of the country.

Amen. As I've said a million times the burden rests on the parents. I personally would never want my kid to be a mindless robot. His personality (for better or worse) makes him who he is and I love him for it. A lack of parental involvement is one thing though. Trying to steal a child's mind and soul so you don't have to deal with it is something else entirely, and as you said it's criminal. Of course it's not just parents and psychs (don't even get me started on the pharmaceuticals).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 04:46 PM

10 posts, read 139,051 times
i went to palo verde its first year, gangs ran that school. the problem was johnson middle school. there were huge tensions all three years i was at johnson.. kids bringing guns to school, drugs being sold in the park across the street, theft, random assaults. this was in middle school!. the whole area (between of buffalo and washington and about where pueblo park/desert shores began) was covered in gang activity. i remember waving at a friend driving by on alta on my way home from school.. and getting assaulted by 4 guys in a car thinking i was waving them down flashing gang signs. its "supposed" to be the area people move to escape that bad side of vegas, but if you choose to to live in that section, youre throwing yourself right in the middle of it.

once everyone was seperated to either bonanza high or palo verde, all the kids in the middle of the drama were sent to PV, and then met up with all the kids bussed in from other overcrowded schools, and turf wars began happening. its crazy, anyway just a little flashback.

dont raise kids in vegas... just my .02

Old 01-25-2009, 05:51 PM

72 posts, read 353,735 times
While the poster may believe it this is all very improbable.

Johnson middle school is not a particularly bad school. middle of the pack. Has no place near the transiency of an inner city school.

It is very doubtful it has any significant gang activity though it has at least some "quasi-gang" as would any urban middle school.

It operates at perhaps half the violence level of the other Johnson...which is a rough school where you may get some gang activity

Those immersed in such schools often have no real perspective on how it actually is.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:40 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,866 times
or those that have not experienced it first-hand do not know what's really going on...

Old 01-27-2009, 02:44 PM

10 posts, read 33,472 times
This occured literally right by my old house (we moved out of Vegas, partially due to high-crime). I heard about this from my neighbors who went to church with the boy's mom. This is terrible, considering this happened right after school let out, in an area that is considered sought-after residential (Summerlin) with hundreds of kids walking home from school. Palo Verde buses in kids from areas outside Summerlin and these 2 boys were not residents of Summerlin. They were gang-banger type of guys, who were driving in the car with their girlfriends. There are cops at Palo Verde H.S. regularly. There are serious fights that need to be broken up by the cops, near the school, all the time. I was not totally surprised when I heard this from my neighbor. Around Palo Verde, in Summerlin, there are home break-ins, at gun point in broad daylight. My car window was smashed in, purse stolen, in broad daylight, in my driveway.. and that is minor compared to other incidents nearby. And my neighborhood is one of the most highly sought after, family-orientated areas in Summerlin.
I don't know about Green Valley. I would find out what the school district boundaries are for the high schools, if you have kids. If we ever moved back to Vegas (this would be against my will), I would only feel comfortable if I lived in a neighborhood that was guard-gated.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:52 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasesmom View Post
This occured literally right by my old house (we moved out of Vegas, partially due to high-crime). I heard about this from my neighbors who went to church with the boy's mom. This is terrible, considering this happened right after school let out, in an area that is considered sought-after residential (Summerlin) with hundreds of kids walking home from school. Palo Verde buses in kids from areas outside Summerlin and these 2 boys were not residents of Summerlin. They were gang-banger type of guys, who were driving in the car with their girlfriends. There are cops at Palo Verde H.S. regularly. There are serious fights that need to be broken up by the cops, near the school, all the time. I was not totally surprised when I heard this from my neighbor. Around Palo Verde, in Summerlin, there are home break-ins, at gun point in broad daylight. My car window was smashed in, purse stolen, in broad daylight, in my driveway.. and that is minor compared to other incidents nearby. And my neighborhood is one of the most highly sought after, family-orientated areas in Summerlin.
I don't know about Green Valley. I would find out what the school district boundaries are for the high schools, if you have kids. If we ever moved back to Vegas (this would be against my will), I would only feel comfortable if I lived in a neighborhood that was guard-gated.
They don't have crime in Chicago?

Old 01-27-2009, 03:24 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
ROFLMALO.....thats a good one Kim........

when ya got Governor Bogwhatzizname what's a few drive bys.......

Old 01-27-2009, 04:18 PM

10 posts, read 33,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
ROFLMALO.....thats a good one Kim........

when ya got Governor Bogwhatzizname what's a few drive bys.......
The area where this shooting took place is not in a metro area like Chicago or the downtown Vegas strip, so I don't really see where you're getting the comparison to Chicago (and I don't live in Chicago, by the way). This shooting was in a very residential area, nearly 30 mins off the strip.
Crime in a suburb of a major city, is a very different feeling than experiencing crime in a little suburb of Vegas when Las Vegas itself is a small town - meaning you can drive from one side of town to the other, in a short amount of time.

Last edited by Chasesmom; 01-27-2009 at 05:24 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 04:36 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Yeah really, the other poster needs to live in small town America.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:43 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasesmom View Post
The area where this shooting took place is not in a metro area like Chicago or the downtown Vegas strip, so I don't really see where you're getting the comparison to Chicago (and I don't live in Chicago, by the way). This shooting was in a very residential area, nearly 30 mins off the strip.
Crime in a suburb of a major city, is a very different feeling than experiencing crime in a little suburb of Vegas when Las Vegas itself is a small town.
Summerlin is not a suburb of Las Vegas. Most of it is located in the City of Las Vegas.

Las Vegas=small town? Don't think so, not at about 1/2 million people...

Anyways, good luck to you and the family in Chi-town!

Last edited by MomMom; 01-27-2009 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas