Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:02 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,289,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensimilla View Post
Marijuana Posession in NV is a criminal offense, same in Arizona.
Yes, Arizona is very tough on Marijuana. Even having a small joint is a class 6 Felony. I could not believe how many people were in the horseshoe with me for small amounts of marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 AM

259 posts, read 706,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensimilla View Post
Marijuana Posession in NV is a criminal offense, same in Arizona.
I was merely questioning the OP's claim. Non repetitive suggests he's a first time offender which is usually dropped to a misdemeanor. Unless of course he was caught with a buttload of crack in the vicinity of a grade school with children hanging around his car.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
It seems like there are a lot of felons working in various aspects of the real estate business.
And the government!

Old 10-07-2009, 07:57 PM

549 posts, read 1,382,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary.ireland View Post
I HAVE A DRUG CONVICTION [NON-VIOLENT, NON REPETITIVE], THATS 3 YEARS OLD. I'M LOOKING FOR A JOB AND WILL START AT THE BOTTOM. ANY IDEAS ON WHO HIRES EX-FELONS?
Have you looked into sealing your conviction? You may want to do that. If here in Nevada, go to the Supreme Court website. There are instructions to get you started. You can also petition to regain some legal rights, but sealing the records will help you with job prospects.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinamalia702 View Post
What's the old saying..............don't do the crime if you can't do the time! Just because you've done your time in prison, it doesn't mean it's over. Obviously, it stays with you forever. My man struggles with his domestic violence history finding work. I work in Human Resources industry and I know that 3 out of the 4 employers I've worked for will eliminate you immediately with a felony conviction. The more interesting thing is 2 of those employers won't tell you that, they just leave you hanging. My current employer is interesting on the matter. If you are 110% honest and have taken care of your obligations it's ok that you have attempted murder, prostitution, domestic violence or even embezzelment.
Criminal records are not supposed to stay with you 'forever' if you have completed all the conditions of your release.

For domestic violence in Nevada, you can have your record sealed after 7 years of the incident. You petition through the DA's office for less than $50. HOWEVER, there is a difference between SEALED and EXPUNGED. Nevada seals records. They do not expunge them. That means if your man had another offense of violence even though his record was sealed the DA could still access it. Other states will expunge a record destroying any evidence that the conviction existed.

Arrest records can also be sealed. You may want to check these options.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsk8fan View Post
Stuff does happen - my son is having to live with a mistake he made at age 17 and he's almost 30 and will never find a 'good' job. Thankfully he has not gone back to any life of crime but I can certainly see why some do -although I don't condone nor think there is ever any reason good enough to justify becoming a criminal of any sorts.
Juvenile records should not haunt him for life unless he was tried as an adult. Again, if he has completed the conditions of release, look into sealing the records.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 PM

13,251 posts, read 21,876,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
Have you looked into sealing your conviction? You may want to do that. If here in Nevada, go to the Supreme Court website. There are instructions to get you started. You can also petition to regain some legal rights, but sealing the records will help you with job prospects.
How does it help? Most applications have a checkbox that asks if you've ever been convicted of a felony. If your conviction is sealed, how do you answer the question, yes or no?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
How does it help? Most applications have a checkbox that asks if you've ever been convicted of a felony. If your conviction is sealed, how do you answer the question, yes or no?
To my knowledge, once you have completed your sentence and your record is properly sealed and your rights legally restored, you may answer no.

If an employer does a background check, the record that is sealed properly will not show up. You know that you were convicted, of course, but you have served your sentence.

Many misdemeanor cases are "dismissed" when a person has completed their sentence. These convictions do not necessarily show up on a background check. Why? Because you did what the court told you to do, so the misdemeanor does not follow you on your PUBLIC record. It is, however, still available on official court records unless it too is sealed.

I read in a criminal law class that the court system is all about rehabilitation; getting you back to being a productive citizen in society. But, too many people run around with past convictions showing up on their records not being considered for jobs for which they may be qualified because they do not understand the court system --- and no one has explained it either, unless you take a criminal law class.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:45 AM

317 posts, read 1,092,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
To my knowledge, once you have completed your sentence and your record is properly sealed and your rights legally restored, you may answer no.
Um, that would be called lying which is a form of fraud. That doesn't go very far to show the person has been reformed.

The proper way to check the box is Yes if that is the truthful answer.

The last thing you want is to get hired and then terminated should the employer figure out that you were jailed at one point. Then you would have a termination on your background with the reason "failure to disclosure prior convinction."

Besides, what would you tell the employer to explain the gap in employment? That you had a personal development opportunity? Needed some space for a while? Had an opportunity to try an unique housing option?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:02 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,045,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
imo, if it is sealed, you still have a felony and check yes... if it is expunged, then no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas