Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:54 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,511,811 times

Advertisements

just live your life the right and fair way....it's the easiest way not to to have to worry about such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 01:19 PM

43 posts, read 293,483 times
Stuff does happen - my son is having to live with a mistake he made at age 17 and he's almost 30 and will never find a 'good' job. Thankfully he has not gone back to any life of crime but I can certainly see why some do -although I don't condone nor think there is ever any reason good enough to justify becoming a criminal of any sorts.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:19 PM

94 posts, read 255,811 times
What's the old saying..............don't do the crime if you can't do the time! Just because you've done your time in prison, it doesn't mean it's over. Obviously, it stays with you forever. My man struggles with his domestic violence history finding work. I work in Human Resources industry and I know that 3 out of the 4 employers I've worked for will eliminate you immediately with a felony conviction. The more interesting thing is 2 of those employers won't tell you that, they just leave you hanging. My current employer is interesting on the matter. If you are 110% honest and have taken care of your obligations it's ok that you have attempted murder, prostitution, domestic violence or even embezzelment.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 PM

23,231 posts, read 29,071,258 times
You might want to try any of the firms on Wall Street or the big banks in NYC or AIG!

Old 08-07-2009, 02:11 PM

240 posts, read 586,703 times
I haven't got a blemish of any sort on my record but I still can't find a full time job. Of course it is an age issue besides this period of plenty we are going through. (I'm old). When I work, I work for a temp service. There are lots of felons there.
Sometimes the companies hire full time from the temps. The company of course background checks them. Some of the temps have worked for years as temps because they don't dare apply with the company because when they get background checked they will not get the job with the company and will lose their job with the temp service as well. It is actually small wonder that so many felons are so desperate they return to a life of crime just to survive.
I'm not sure how all the felons manage to get work with the temporary staffing companies but I suspect that the temp services are so greedy that they will take anybody after all they get quite a slice off the top of every single hour each temp works. I have seen times when there are around a hundred temps on just one job. Even if the temp service only got $5.00per hour for each temp in an 8 hour day they make a lot of money off just that one job. Guess where all the full time jobs have gone. It would be pretty stupid to hire full time people to do jobs that require very little training and have to pay benefits if they do and pay people when work is slow because full timers get real upset if they get sent home early.
I have seen times when temps have driven 25 miles to work and have worked an hour or two and sometimes sometimes not at all and have been informed that they can leave because they are not needed anymore today. They will call them if they are needed tomorrow. It's far less headaches to call up the temp service on any given day and tell them how many to send over.
Many larger companies of course that I have worked as a temp for have the temp service right on site so they pretty well know who they are getting and whether they need any training to run machines or whatever. It's a complete win win situation for the employer. The temp service even looks after all the taxes. It doesn't cost the company a penny more than they pay full timers and they don't have to worry about people going on vacation or anything.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:32 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,040,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary.ireland View Post
ANY IDEAS ON WHO HIRES EX-FELONS?
ACORN . . related article.

Salvation Army

Fish processing . . "conviction of a misdemeanor or felony is not necessarily a bar to employment"

Last edited by tortoise; 10-05-2009 at 02:44 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,258,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
ACORN

Related article.
Come on now, do not bring up an old thread and start a politcal argument. I should be a moderator LOL as I would close this thread.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 PM

184 posts, read 511,560 times
Don't lie about it. If you get caught you will be in a much worse situation right now because then you will also be known as a liar.

I'd try small businesses- they are usually more willing to give people a chance. You also have the chance of getting to talk with the owner and many people think that the drug laws are BS and shouldn't be on your record anyway.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 PM

259 posts, read 705,929 times
i find it hard to believe a first time doper offender is getting hit with a felony. Theres more to this story than the op is telling us

Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 AM

162 posts, read 384,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
i find it hard to believe a first time doper offender is getting hit with a felony. Theres more to this story than the op is telling us
Marijuana Posession in NV is a criminal offense, same in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas