Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,569 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of purchasing a new home in the Henderson area near Sunset. My only concern is the airplane noise as the planes tend to fly right over the neighborhood.

How does this impact resale value? More importantly, do you eventually get used to the noise?

I love the house and the area. I have noticed you get airplane noise just about everywhere in Henderson. Off of Sunset though the seems to be where the flight path is and planes come one after the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:53 PM

39 posts, read 136,945 times
Jet engines are the sound of freedom

Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
As a general rule that is the approach end and has very little noise. I don't really think there is any impact in Henderson.

Just do the comps correctly and you compensate. If it causes a value adjust it will be built in.

I don't believe it by the way. If you get over in NLV toward Nellis you can actually here airplanes. But there are really no such places in the SE.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymoly View Post
I am thinking of purchasing a new home in the Henderson area near Sunset. My only concern is the airplane noise as the planes tend to fly right over the neighborhood.

How does this impact resale value? More importantly, do you eventually get used to the noise?

I love the house and the area. I have noticed you get airplane noise just about everywhere in Henderson. Off of Sunset though the seems to be where the flight path is and planes come one after the other.
There is some airplane noise everywhere in the valley, but it is worse there. I've heard and seen them myself. And if you are questioning it so will your prospective buyers. They will stand outside and watch planes going overhead every 30 seconds too, so it will limit your chance of resale whether it limits the sales price or not. So why do it with all the better choices around town? Never buy a house with problems because you love the house. You'll only grow to hate it. There are much better neighborhoods with nice houses in Las Vegas and Henderson. There are other things about that area that will turn off prospective buyers too. For one thing it is noticeably hotter in summer, the air quality is not as good, and it is pretty congested. Sunset is a very dangerous road.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
it really depends where on sunset, there is a lot of noise on sunset at eastern, but if its sunset at stephanie, there would be less noise....

Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
it really depends where on sunset, there is a lot of noise on sunset at eastern, but if its sunset at stephanie, there would be less noise....
Doesn't matter. If the OP is questioning it so will all prospective buyers, and most of them will just drive on by, so why make an investment that you'll forever be worried about? Not good to become too emotionally wrapped up in a house that has problems to begin with. You can love a house in a nicer neighrborhood just as well.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Doesn't matter. If the OP is questioning it so will all prospective buyers, and most of them will just drive on by, so why make an investment that you'll forever be worried about? Not good to become too emotionally wrapped up in a house that has problems to begin with. You can love a house in a nicer neighrborhood just as well.
Comeon Buzz...all of the SW and Summerlin is regularly over flown. As is Henderson.

The only place in town that has substatial impact from airplane noise is NLV, and only the eastern end of it. Hell you and I get overflown by the Nells traffic. And on ocassion we get more noise than Stephanie and Sunset does.

It is rare in Henderson to find places where the conversation in the backyard is interrupted. If not forget about it.

Pricing reflects such factors. The impact of adjoining a major street is more than that from airplanes in Henderson.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
When it comes to LV...is it better not to hear jet noise....or to hear it very, very frequently?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 PM

322 posts, read 1,270,353 times
I stayed at the Mariott (?) thats at Green Valley and Sunset. O yeah, I could hear planes. Not too loud, but they defiantly were noticable. I'd hate to have open windows right there at night.

But...

I like watching the planes, and sitting out by the pool watching them come overhead, that was pretty sweet.

But...

At Green Valley and WigWam, no real plane noise at all.

My .02, anything between the Green valley and The strip right off of sunset, and you are going to hear a LOT of noise.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:42 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Hey, c'mon guys...you're making it 'sound' like LV is a quiet town????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: