Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,129 times

Advertisements

i'm thinking of purchasing a home very close to the jones / 215 interchange in the northwest part of the valley. Its not a lot that backs to the freeway but, its the next row of houses in... i never lived that close to a freeway...the price is great in this market but, i'm afraid once the 215 is fully finished, it will be noisy. Some say it will be fine because i'm not actually backed up to the freeway but, it can't be more than 500-600 ft away....with a row of houses and a wall to block the noise... any thoughts? appreciate the feedback

Last edited by smack1965; 09-16-2009 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: title change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack1965 View Post
i'm thinking of purchasing a home very close to the jones / 215 interchange in the northwest part of the valley. Its not a lot that backs to the freeway but, its the next row of houses in... i never lived that close to a freeway...the price is great in this market but, i'm afraid once the 215 is fully finished, it will be noisy. Some say it will be fine because i'm not actually backed up to the freeway but, it can't be more than 500-600 ft away....with a row of houses and a wall to block the noise... any thoughts? appreciate the feedback
Why don't you go out there and listen to the noise? If it bothers you for a few minutes, think of what it would be like all the time. My guess is there will be a lot, and it will only get worse. I've never understood why people buy next to a freeway. I live off a main thoroughfare, which isn't very busy at all, and I took the lot furthest away; but it's still irritating at times. And that's nowhere near a freeway.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
another concern would be if you have pets, i have 3 dogs and they are my family.. that is the main reason i am not close to a heavily travelled road (over 3/4 mile away)

Old 09-17-2009, 10:35 AM

54 posts, read 128,326 times
I'm right up against Anasazi and while it's not a horribly busy road, it gets a fair share of traffic. It has yet to bother me.

I've also lived about a mile off of 90/94 in Chicago. I didn't hear the noise, but because of the dirt and dust the cars threw up and got sucked into our ventilation, we constantly had to clean the floors and vents. A nasty black dust would build up. I don't know if that's the same with all major highways, but I don't think I'd want to do that again.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 PM

109 posts, read 319,539 times
I live off 215 and north Decatur and the only time I reallyhear the traffic is when a semi goes by. Other than that its not an issue.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:00 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack1965 View Post
You'll hear the whizz of traffic (and especially big trucks, Harley's etc) if you're standing outside, but probably not from within your house.

One of my homes is near the 215 and probably about the same distance from the Beltway as yours.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:19 PM

16 posts, read 43,979 times
You definately want to check this out for yourself. Even if that area is not finished yet, find something comparable to simulate the same noise environment.

Noise tolerance is extremely subjective. What will not bother some, will destroy the life quality of others. Do not take anyone else's word on this, because everyone is sensative to different things. 500 or so feet seems pretty far away from something though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas