Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:19 PM

30 posts, read 139,487 times

Advertisements

Do you have much of a boombox noise problem in the vegas suburbs? Housing is so densely packed that I imagine just one vehicle could be heard by a couple hundred households easily. That low frequency subwoofer thumping has a 4 or 5 block radius.

I'm looking to buy a house there but beforehand would like to hear from the locals. The police here are good about responding (they don't like it either), but even with state-wide noise laws and heavy penalties it's still a daily problem. On the third offense the police impounds your vehicle, has a technician remove any and all audio equipment from it, and you have to pay his labor charges plus your car will no longer even have a basic radio. Not sure what the state does with the audio gear but you don't get it back.

So, is it a constant problem in the neighborhoods? I don't mean the public tourists areas, but where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 PM

579 posts, read 999,158 times
Where are you moving from where that is such a problem? I'm in Summerlin and have never dealt with that. Maybe someone drives down the street with the windows down with loud music during the day but that is about it music wise. People with teenagers and pools nearby are much more obnoxious.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:41 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,015,872 times
Boombox? What decade is this?

My noise problem is from kids with more subwoofers than horsepower in their Honda Civics.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,574,936 times
This post reminded me of the guy who still walks around the park by my apartment with a boom box on his shoulder like MC hammer. He's pretty awesome, I can't get mad at him.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,393,597 times
We don't actually have 'burbs'. But buy in a community with an HOA if you're worried about noise. If you don't you might have a guy changing the oil on his car in the front yard. Not that much of a problem though.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:53 PM

579 posts, read 1,211,714 times
Quote:
Thanks, I just spit coffee all over my keyboard, LOL! I swear, had I not read this comment I was just about to post the same thing. Boombox? Only thing to top that would be Ghetto Blaster. I've heard the occasional car drive by with loud music, likely coming from their 8 track, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:00 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,315,397 times
Yes you do have the boom car problems in almost every neighborhood. If you live within an HOA controlled one, you can complain anonymously about it and it sometimes takes a few months for the penalty phase, and sooner or later you get your quiet back. Be persistent. If you live in a neighborhood without an HOA you either just have to deal with it or call the cops a lot. Anonymously too of course.

St8kout, I like the laws where you live now, re: boom car noise. It would be nice if they did that here.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,574,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
We don't actually have 'burbs'. But buy in a community with an HOA if you're worried about noise. If you don't you might have a guy changing the oil on his car in the front yard. Not that much of a problem though.
Guy changing oil in the front lawn seems to be the proverbial picture painted to strike fear into the hearts of white suburban stepford wives. I've always wondered why out of all the things going on why this would be the most offensive thing people could think of.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:42 PM

579 posts, read 1,211,714 times
Quote:
Guy changing oil in the front lawn seems to be the proverbial picture painted to strike fear into the hearts of white suburban stepford wives. I've always wondered why out of all the things going on why this would be the most offensive thing people could think of.
Ditto. We always changed our oil in the driveway. Where else are you gonna change it? No kidding about this, our neighbor died this way several years back. The jack wasn't secure on the car and another neighbor found him, middle of the day, thought it was oil leaking below the car, but it was blood. Poor guy had a two really young kids at home at the time, thank goodness she found him and not them. Really sad.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:50 PM

55 posts, read 81,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

My noise problem is from kids with more subwoofers than horsepower in their Honda Civics.
Scoop knows what the OP means.... these morons are everywhere...more laws needed to ban this growing Nuisance, and any store selling/installing should be fined and shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas