Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,819 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm sorry if this question has been asked to death, but here we go again...
I am looking into moving to the Las Vegas area (most likely Henderson) and am wondering where more specifically I should look.

I am coming from what is ranked as the safest city in CA so I am very worried about crime. And I do not consider property crime unimportant. I am not interested in living somewhere where burglaries commonly happen, even if there is virtually no violent crime there!
I can spend up to $1350 a month on a home rental (not interested in apartments, condos, townhouses...) But a small 2bed 1bath single family home would be just fine.
I have two large german shepherd mix dogs and one cat so the place must allow multiple large pets!
Large private yard is preferred (tall order there I know!)
Relatively non psycho HOA. I realize pretty much every safe neighborhood in the Henderson area has one, but perhaps there is one that won't fine me for Christmas lights, installing a security screen door, or planting roses? lol
Walking distance to a grocery store.

I have heard Green Valley is nice as well as Seven Hills, but they seem close to Vegas so I worry about crime.., I have no interest in The Strip and I work from home for an internet based business so commuting distance is not an issue.
I also do not need a subdivision with a ton of amenities (clubhouse, pool, etc) just want safety, space, privacy at an affordable price...
I do not have children so schools are also not an issue.
I am actually a freak who loves hot dry weather so this shouldn't bother me.
Boulder City looks lovely and very safe, but there doesn't appear to be many rental homes there and buying is just not an option right now.

Any suggestions for subdivisions/neighborhoods I should look into?
Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:39 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Do you really understand what you are saying?

First off two large dogs and a cat eliminate 95% of the rentals in any of the more genteel neighborhoods. So it is very improbable that you will find anything in Summerlin, or Green Valley Ranch or Seven Hills or any of the similar places. Even the places listed with no restrictions will turn you down over the two big dogs.

You will have the same problem in Boulder City.

The only place you are likely to find a home with your menagerie is the older and less safe sections of town or in the various equistrian zoned areas. You could do OK in the equistrian areas if you come up 300 to 500 on the rent. Rarely you may find an older place in your price range but it will be very basic and likely a little run down...it may however be relatively safe. At the moment in the entire valley there are three places that may meet your needs...And none in the areas you suggested.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,819 times
Wow, I wasn't aware Henderson was such an anti-animal town. I see tons of houses in my price range that say they allow pets, but if they are all in unsafe areas or HOA's that prohibit large dogs, then this won't work for us.
Personally I'd much rather live next to well trained pets than unruly children, but I guess in the Vegas area I'm the minority.

Thank you for your honesty!

Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move2Lv View Post
Wow, I wasn't aware Henderson was such an anti-animal town. I see tons of houses in my price range that say they allow pets, but if they are all in unsafe areas or HOA's that prohibit large dogs, then this won't work for us.
Personally I'd much rather live next to well trained pets than unruly children, but I guess in the Vegas area I'm the minority.

We're not anti-animal. We're "anti-property-damage." And even if your two big dogs are the most gentle creatures on Earth, properly cared for, with routinely trimmed nails, that doesn't matter. Landlords have made too many repairs to ever want to bother again. They've heard it before, "Our dogs are well trained." And learned that it wasn't true. So they're not going to believe you.

And "well-trained pets" are the exception in this town rather than the rule. The other reason landlords don't want big dogs is that half dog owners in this town are borderline animal abusers who NEVER let the dogs inside. The dogs stay out in the 110f heat and bark their fool heads off all day long. Then the landlord gets phone calls from irate neighbors complaining about the noise.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:43 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And "well-trained pets" are the exception in this town rather than the rule.
Here we go with the anti-Las Vegas BS again.

Quote:
The other reason landlords don't want big dogs is that half dog owners in this town are borderline animal abusers who NEVER let the dogs inside. The dogs stay out in the 110f heat and bark their fool heads off all day long. Then the landlord gets phone calls from irate neighbors complaining about the noise
Where the hell do you keep coming up with this idiocy about the anti-social behavior of people who live in Las Vegas. If this has truly been your experience it is time for you to move to a better neighborhood.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:36 PM

700 posts, read 1,330,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Here we go with the anti-Las Vegas BS again.

Where the hell do you keep coming up with this idiocy about the anti-social behavior of people who live in Las Vegas. If this has truly been your experience it is time for you to move to a better neighborhood.
There is a reason why most landlords dont rent to animal owners. Maybe the person you are quoting is maybe being facetious, but too many landlords have been burned. Even if its just something simple like scratch marks on a door from a dog scratching wanting to go out for a poo.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:30 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Quote:

Before you give up take a look at what you can get. One of the three was not half bad...$1400...And in a reasonable area.

If you are coming out of Irvine you will have to take a look. Most yuppies take one look at the equistrian areas turn up their noses and leave. But if you can stomach a little diversity it is an interesting place. Kind of a Libertarian version of inland orange county...

Old 06-07-2012, 05:57 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Quote:
Hello,
I'm sorry if this question has been asked to death, but here we go again...
I am looking into moving to the Las Vegas area (most likely Henderson) and am wondering where more specifically I should look.

I am coming from what is ranked as the safest city in CA so I am very worried about crime. And I do not consider property crime unimportant. I am not interested in living somewhere where burglaries commonly happen, even if there is virtually no violent crime there!
I can spend up to $1350 a month on a home rental (not interested in apartments, condos, townhouses...) But a small 2bed 1bath single family home would be just fine.
I have two large German shepherd mix dogs and one cat so the place must allow multiple large pets!
Large private yard is preferred (tall order there I know!)
Relatively non psycho HOA. I realize pretty much every safe neighborhood in the Henderson area has one, but perhaps there is one that won't fine me for Christmas lights, installing a security screen door, or planting roses? lol
Walking distance to a grocery store.

I have heard Green Valley is nice as well as Seven Hills, but they seem close to Vegas so I worry about crime.., I have no interest in The Strip and I work from home for an internet based business so commuting distance is not an issue.
I also do not need a subdivision with a ton of amenities (clubhouse, pool, etc) just want safety, space, privacy at an affordable price...
I do not have children so schools are also not an issue.
I am actually a freak who loves hot dry weather so this shouldn't bother me.
Boulder City looks lovely and very safe, but there doesn't appear to be many rental homes there and buying is just not an option right now.

Any suggestions for subdivisions/neighborhoods I should look into?
Thanks in advance!!!
Here's what you are missing...and assuming. Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas, and various unincorporated county areas, are all one big city to us. Driving around, unless you know a lot about this town, you won't be able to tell which you are in as it all blends together. So there is no reason to say that Henderson looks close to Las Vegas so it must have a lot of crime.

My assumption, when people like you say you want to live in Henderson, and not Las Vegas, is that you are like City Corp.; you don't want Las Vegas on your letterhead as you know people have these silly notions about it thanks to some great advertising by the Las Vegas Visitors and Convention Authority over the past 80 years. (Citi was able to get the USPS to give them a zip code for a non-existent town known as "The Lakes, NV", because they were getting complaints from card holders about their bill coming from such a sinful place as this is in the small minds back east).

The other reason you shouldn't think those things is that you are assuming that the Hollywood version of Las Vegas is true, and that it is the Detroit of the west. It is far from it. Crime stats in Las Vegas are "normal" for a city of 2 million, and that includes all of the above jurisdictions as there are no other communities within miles of here; just desert all around.

You may live in the "safest city in Calif", whatever that is, but knowing California, your city is probably no more or no less safe than ours is. The simple solution is that if you feel Las Vegas is unsafe then don't come here.

But if you do come here then find a temporary place to live, and take your time looking it all over and deciding. You'll find landlords that will take animals, and many that won't because landlords everywhere - EVERYWHERE - worry that animals will do harm to their property. Personally I'm more concerned about what harm the people will do than the animals.

But you'll get a lot of opinions on CD based on nothing but assumptions and prejudices, so you'll just have to look around for what you want, just like we locals have always done. It's a big city with hundreds of thousands of homes, and some areas that are older are not AS safe anymore as the newer ones, but that is true in any city. Older usually means cheaper, and cheaper usually attracts low-lifes; but not always, and even upper income areas in any city will have low-life people selling drugs, pulling burglaries, etc.

I also wouldn't worry so much about HOAs. Home owners in every community want you and I to be regulated, but not themselves. The complainers are usually the ones that have broken the rules and got rapped for it, or who have never lived in a community with an association in their lives, but take a few news stories and assume all HOAs are bad. Before they got rapped they got plenty of warnings that they ignored because they don't follow rules. The rules in an HOA are set by law, and by the builder usually, then the home owners can make changes within the state law once the owners take possession from the builder. They are usually simple rules that assure the property values of others don't decline because of someone not taking care of theirs. Normally they only affect the common areas that can be seen by all, and nobody cares what you do in the back yard if it can't be seen from the street.

As a renter though, you shouldn't worry about an HOA since you aren't trying to protect the value of your property. But if you do rent in a community with an HOA it is the owner's problem, not yours. As for the animals, it is in the CC&Rs of some communities that there can be no more than two adult animals. Generally it is a noise and sanitary problem. My granddaughter has a couple of laying hens, a snake, and a poison dart frog, but isn't allowed to have a rooster for obvious reasons. But two dogs would be fine, or two cats, or a cat and dog.

It sounds like you might be happier in the northwest part of town in the horsey areas though. You'll find goats, horses, bison, pigs, emus, ostriches, cows, burros, ducks, chickens, and maybe a white tiger or two.

BTW IMHO Henderson is too congested, therefore, not as "safe" as Las Vegas.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:29 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Quote:
The other reason landlords don't want big dogs is that half dog owners in this town are borderline animal abusers who NEVER let the dogs inside. The dogs stay out in the 110f heat and bark their fool heads off all day long. Then the landlord gets phone calls from irate neighbors complaining about the noise.
Yep.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 PM

550 posts, read 638,058 times
I think folks don't always like to rent to animal owners due to sanitation concerns or damage to grass, among other concerns. Unlike most other places, we do not have rain that will come to wash all of their business away, resulting in burned out sod and flies and a smell that could ruin your neighbors weekend bbq. We have a medium sized dog with a dedicated dog run, half sod half rock that we have a man come every week to pick up the poo. We still have to go out weekly to hose down the rock and spread the Natures Miracle or whatever it's called to break down the urine, or the smell would be awful, and our run is on a side of the house that has no neighbors, just a wash. Not everyone is willing to do that, whether they are renters or owners unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas