Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:47 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,954,649 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas and Boulder city are all pet friendly, however there is a limit to what a landlord will tolerate. Even the best pet can have accidents. I have see some condo communities in Henderson and Las Vegas that advertise they will take large dogs.

Most properties allow only a couple of dogs and usually there is a weight limit and some rentals won't allow cats at all. It all depends on the landlord and the community hoa pet restrictions.

Here is a link that shows some statistics regarding Henderson's ranking for safe cities to live in:
How does the city Henderson, Nevada rank with other cities?

Here is a link that shows some stats regarding Las Vegas ranking for safe cities to live in:

How does the city Las Vegas, Nevada rank with other cities?

Here's a link for stats for Boulder City:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-19-2012 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 09:53 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,168,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Actually, I have no intention of moving back to Key West. I doubt Las Vegas is my final stop in life, but I plan on being here awhile.

As with before, my statement is based on first-hand experience. I had a neighbor who left his two big dogs out all day. They howled all day long. Doesn't really bother me, because my house is so well insulated. The dogs both died in a couple years. And he replaced them. The replacement dogs died, too. Four dogs in two years. I'd call that "abuse."

A mile away at my mother in law's house, she had it worse. This went on for three years, and only ended when the owner was foreclosed on. He left his dog. The city finally picked it up.

I have a friend on Horizon Ridge in Henderson with the same problem. That owner finally moved out last year.

And my aunt lives all the way west on Ann Rd. She has dog howling problems (which can't be heard from inside). And also roosters crowing and the occasional smell of horses.

I have a feeling if you poll the users here, most of them have at least one neighbor who leaves their dog out 24/7/365. When I tried to call animal control about it, I was told, "It's a cultural thing. People from [a country south of here] don't consider dogs 'inside animals.'" I don't agree with that, but that's what I was told.
Yep! I have 3 neighbors that do that. The rest of the neighbors with pets have doggy doors. The dogs are indoors in the day time and then come out to bark at night. Weird.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,010,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Yep! I have 3 neighbors that do that. The rest of the neighbors with pets have doggy doors. The dogs are indoors in the day time and then come out to bark at night. Weird.
Watch out, you're likely to be called a "moron" or an "idiot" for that. Since the communities with $500/mo HOA dues are perfect (apparently), the rest of the city must be perfect, too.

EDIT -- I just had a thought. Perhaps quality of life is totally proportional to HOA dues. I mean, hell, our dues are only $30/month. So our neighborhood, mathematically speaking, is more than 16 times worse than MMoB's.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:16 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,821,028 times
Quote:
Watch out, you're likely to be called a "moron" or an "idiot" for that. Since the communities with $500/mo HOA dues are perfect (apparently), the rest of the city must be perfect, too.

EDIT -- I just had a thought. Perhaps quality of life is totally proportional to HOA dues. I mean, hell, our dues are only $30/month. So our neighborhood, mathematically speaking, is more than 16 times worse than MMoB's.
You are making a long reach. We have a dog or more at virtually every house and they pretty much all bark.

None bark to the level of being a problem. In general it makes the neighborhood safer and more pleasant.

Our HOA fee is zero so we would have an infinitely bad problem. But we don't. so your theory fails.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,039,136 times
Quote:
I didn't call you a moron or an idiot. I said that your statements were moronic and idiotic. I apparently erroneously gave you credit for being able to discern the difference. I apologize for giving you undue credit.

BTW, I am sure that 99% of the posters on this board would agree that your statement that 1/2 of all dog owners in Las Vegas are borderline animal abusers who NEVER (your emphasis) let their dogs indoors is moronic.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,010,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You are making a long reach. We have a dog or more at virtually every house and they pretty much all bark.

None bark to the level of being a problem. In general it makes the neighborhood safer and more pleasant.

Our HOA fee is zero so we would have an infinitely bad problem. But we don't. so your theory fails.
The theory was tongue in cheek. However, I have a feeling that a house in a community with $500 HOA fees is going to attract a much different set of residents. I doubt seriously they have much of a problem with roosters crowing over at Spanish Trail. Probably not too many junk cars in the driveways, either.

And I stand by my two assertions:

1) Leaving an animal out all day long in Las Vegas July heat is borderline abuse. (Except for desert tortoises, of course.)

2) Roughly half the pet owners in my neighborhood; my mother-in-law's neighborhood; my aunt's neighborhood; and my buddy in Henderson's neighborhood leave their dogs outside all day long.

Furthermore, the people with the dogs out all day almost always choose pit bulls, German shepherds, rottweilers and similar breeds. I don't see many corgis stuck in the back yard when it's 115f, yipping their tiny heads off.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:41 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,039,136 times
Quote:
Since the communities with $500/mo HOA dues are perfect (apparently), the rest of the city must be perfect, too.

Once again, you seem to have problems with the English language. I have never once said that life in all of Las Vegas is the same as what I experience in Spanish Trail. Conversely, you constantly tell any and all posters looking for information that no matter where they live, their experience will be the same as yours. Since you don't have contact with your neighbors, they will find their neighbors to be aloof and unfriendly. Since apparently you have trouble with barking dogs in your neighborhood, they will have the same trouble.

See the difference?

(Apparently not.)

Old 06-08-2012, 11:48 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,268,803 times
This thread is very disturbing to me. I guess it is because I was raised with dogs in the house so it really bothers me that some people do not treat them as part of the family. I could never get a dog and make it live in the backyard.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:08 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,944,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I am very much prepared to pay extra to have my animals live with me. My deposit will go for nothing, though, because my dogs are not destructive and any "hair left everywhere" or any other messes will be cleaned up by me. If your dog is digging holes or scratching walls, they have behavior issues (separation anxiety, severe boredom, etc) that needs to be addressed. It is not normal dog behavior. See this is typical YUPPIE speak.. Every yuppie thinks their dogs need a psychiatrist... Also if you come from IRVINE and you think it is the safest place in the USA then you are sadly mistaken.. Might be the Yuppiest place (But not really there are others that are moreso) but not the safest....

A friend of mine owns several rental properties and she has seen MUCH more damage done by kids than pets, but she can't charge an extra deposit or rent for them, unfortunately!
Sure she can..Just up the rent by a couple of hundred and put ti back for damages....

Old 06-08-2012, 06:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,383,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
My Chihuahuas prefer Taco John's, which there are none in LV . They know Taco Bell is awful. maybe Del Taco would be more to their liking?

It's sad that pit bulls are so discriminated against.
I go to Del Taco because their regular tacos are low salt.

There is an ongoing issue here right now about putting a large dog down for killing a baby. It happened over a month ago, and a group has gone to court to try and save the dog's life. Judge rules group still has no legal standing in killer dog case - News - ReviewJournal.com

Group again looks to Supreme Court to save dog that killed Henderson child - News - ReviewJournal.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas