Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 04:55 PM

8 posts, read 5,469 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas can invest in CA's De-Sal Plants and get a bigger share of the Colorado water.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:37 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I read a book on the Caffeine/coffee industry, and in the book it told of a 7-story research facility in Paris, which job it is to defend caffeine.

Someone took on these scientific researchers questioning the safety of the coffee that came from Vietnam, given all the chemicals we sprayed over Vietnam during the war, and 35% of our coffee comes from that country, and that report was squelched overnight.

So we'll never really know the safety of coffee/caffeine.

Sorry if I went off-topic!
I’m confused why you’re using coffee and caffeine interchangeably?! Caffeine is completely safe, and good for you in many contexts. Caffeine before working out helps the body tap into fat stores faster and is a general aid to quality workouts. Coffee contains caffeine but lots else, too. I personally don’t drink coffee because I can’t trust what’s in it. I seem to be fine with quality coffee most of the time, but when it’s bad coffee (I’ve heard this happens with pre-ground types, there’s a fungus that grows on it that’s harmless to most people but I might be allergic to it) I have very bad reactions. I’ll get stomach issues, like extreme stomach aches, and I’ll also get crushingly tired - the exact opposite of what coffee should do. I’ve had bad coffee like that and had to take a nap immediately afterwards. I avoid coffee entirely now, just energy drinks (sugar free) because it’s a far better feeling of energy without any other side effects, or caffeine pills.

As for the water issues, one of the best things we could do I think is like the bill recently passed on ornamental grass. That aside, there needs to be action taken on idiots growing pointless things in the middle of a desert. We don’t need hay - 90% of what’s grown here - to be grown in the middle of a giant desert. It’s obviously idiotic. We can have some compassion for their family business, but then maybe the government should buy them out, or give them some money and give them BLM land in a more rainy state like OR or WA or ID. They use up an enormous amount and percentage of our water doing something absolutely nobody cares about whatsoever that doesn’t serve the greater good and doesn’t work with our water needs.

Old 06-24-2021, 12:23 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestvet View Post
Las Vegas can invest in CA's De-Sal Plants and get a bigger share of the Colorado water.
If NV were to subsidize De-Sal plants in CA, then strict rules would have to be enforced. If they're going to use De-Sal water to water their lawns, then it becomes self-defeating, and they'd still be using their allotment of Colorado River water.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:20 AM

8 posts, read 5,469 times
they can't use their original allotment, there will be a interstate agreement before Nevada invests in CA's De-Sal Plants.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:19 PM

1,047 posts, read 725,444 times
Default live not frequent guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKB55 View Post
This is my first time on city-data.
But I am a Destination expert on Trip Advisor for Vegas.
No I have not lived there--but I've spent more days in that city than OP has lived there, lol.
As with ANY city--there is the good & the bad.
As with any situation, perspective & attitude are EVERYTHING.
I am an educator & NO WAY would I teach there.
But coming from the Mid-west (and having arthritis), Vegas weather is near perfect--hot & dry in the summer, moderate to cool in the winter. I love that I can sit on my patio in LV & have coffee in the AM & drinks in the PM nearly 365 days a year. I might need a jacket in the winter, but I cannot sit outside in the winter here. I may need to wait until after sunset in the summer--but even here, the humidity can make that uncomfortable even after sunset.
Not cultured? Guess museums & the Arts District don't count.
Plenty of hiking & lakes nearby.
Plenty of shows on/near the Strip.
Plenty of suburbs for "regular" life.
It's true, Vegas in many ways is like nowhere else.
And it isn't for everyone.
I'd love to live in SoCal but not comfortable with those housing prices...
The arts district is block by block. A couple cool ones but then pimps and drug dealers on next block so stay in car. I live here.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:36 PM

224 posts, read 164,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Yeah 107 is just so comfortable. That hair dryer feeling in July is just like a seabreeze...

I’ll take it over 90 degrees and very humid in NJ, every damn time.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Don't forget about all of the nuclear testing.
I read a book, some time ago, entitled The Day We Bombed Utah, it covered that whole era of the bomb testing north of Las Vegas.

Believe it or not, Utah is still receiving money (lawsuits) from the Federal Gov't for that big mishap. Not sure if it's still valid, but at the writing of this book, anyone that died of leukemia in St. George was given $50,000 for the immediate family of the one that died.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
"The stoplights are FOREVER LONG. OMG! They are so slow to change."

Drives me crazy! It's a huge waste of gas and certainly causes more pollution. I just had my SMOG check done - if it's such an issue here, why don't they get the stoplights timed so people don't sit at them so long when it's not necessary?
An interesting twist here in Tucson, is that the green arrow for making a left turn, goes on at the end, not the beginning. when the light changes. It took some getting used to, so now I relax more if I couldn't make the left turn at first, and wait for the arrow to turn later.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:33 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I read a book, some time ago, entitled The Day We Bombed Utah, it covered that whole era of the bomb testing north of Las Vegas.

Believe it or not, Utah is still receiving money (lawsuits) from the Federal Gov't for that big mishap. Not sure if it's still valid, but at the writing of this book, anyone that died of leukemia in St. George was given $50,000 for the immediate family of the one that died.
Apparently, all of Clark County and Kingman, Arizona were "dusted" by fallout clouds too.

Seems like a lot of the old timers in Kingman are getting multiple cancers left and right.

Quote:
Arizona's 'downwinders,' exposed to Cold War nuclear testing, fight for compensation

By Anita Hassan

Sept. 13, 2020

KINGMAN, Ariz. — Danielle Stephens ran her fingers down a long list of her relatives' names and sighed.

All of them had been diagnosed with cancer. Most of them had died, many before they were 55.

Like Stephens, 81, they had all spent their lives in Kingman, Arizona, where during the Cold War they often watched the early morning sky lit up by orange flashes from atomic bombs detonated at a government testing site in the Nevada desert less than 150 miles north of the city.

Stephens said getting a glimpse of the flashes or enormous mushroom clouds was a form of entertainment. Detonation times and dates were advertised in newspapers. Children were given short recesses on testing days to stand in the schoolyard and to watch the explosions turn the sky orange. In Las Vegas, only 65 miles from the testing site, businesses billed the tests as tourist attractions to view from hotel windows.

Stephens recalls that as a teenager in 1953, she, her father, her uncle and her brother rode on horseback into the Aquarius Mountains to get a better view of one of the nuclear explosions. As they watched the plume shoot into the sky, they could feel the wind blow the smoke and dust toward them. They hurried to get off the mountain, trying to escape the fallout. But by the time they returned home, their clothes were coated with oily pink stains, Stephens said.

"So about everyone up there got cancer," she said. Her father died of colon and kidney cancer. Her brother, who is still alive, was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Colon cancer, which Stephens is also diagnosed with, is covered under RECA.
http://https://www.nbcnews.com/news/...ation-n1239802

Old 08-20-2021, 10:48 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
"The stoplights are FOREVER LONG. OMG! They are so slow to change."

Drives me crazy! It's a huge waste of gas and certainly causes more pollution. I just had my SMOG check done - if it's such an issue here, why don't they get the stoplights timed so people don't sit at them so long when it's not necessary?
I will be heading toward the highway and the light will change stopping me - with no traffic coming from either direction on the cross street. I can pretty much count on missing every light between my house and the highway because of how they are timed.

Let us also not forget - lanes being closed with no apparent work going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas