Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 02:26 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Scientists can be just as distrustful as any politician. Oftentimes they're in the employ of big corporations.

Remember the 50's? Scientists were saying smoking was not dangerous to your health.
I do remember that and the 'safe' cigarettes as well.

Scientists who accept government grants can be untrustworthy also. Often they change their findings to pass peer review (peer pressure) so that they may obtain additional funding.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:09 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I read a book on the Caffeine/coffee industry, and in the book it told of a 7-story research facility in Paris, which job it is to defend caffeine.

Someone took on these scientific researchers questioning the safety of the coffee that came from Vietnam, given all the chemicals we sprayed over Vietnam during the war, and 35% of our coffee comes from that country, and that report was squelched overnight.

So we'll never really know the safety of coffee/caffeine.

Sorry if I went off-topic!

Old 06-18-2021, 09:09 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times
Quote:
Scientists can be just as distrustful as any politician. Oftentimes they're in the employ of big corporations.

Remember the 50's? Scientists were saying smoking was not dangerous to your health.
If you re-read my post, you'll notice the data all comes from the US Federal Government.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:18 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times
Quote:
I read a book on the Caffeine/coffee industry, and in the book it told of a 7-story research facility in Paris, which job it is to defend caffeine.

Someone took on these scientific researchers questioning the safety of the coffee that came from Vietnam, given all the chemicals we sprayed over Vietnam during the war, and 35% of our coffee comes from that country, and that report was squelched overnight.

So we'll never really know the safety of coffee/caffeine.

Sorry if I went off-topic!
I purchase all my coffee from specific bush varietals in specific countries. This morning, I'm enjoying a cup of Guatemala Organic Aldea San Juan, which is primarily Caturra varietal with some Bourbon varietal. I drink my coffee black - nothing added. This is a well balanced, bittersweet cup, with hints of brown sugar amidst semi-sweet cocoa, baking chocolate, and a creamy hint of Brazil nut and cinnamon.

I roast it myself, of course. It costs me $6.05 per pound unroasted (a pound of unroasted yields about 12 oz. of roasted coffee; the rest is moisture driven out during the roasting process)

Old 06-19-2021, 02:37 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I do remember that and the 'safe' cigarettes as well.

Scientists who accept government grants can be untrustworthy also. Often they change their findings to pass peer review (peer pressure) so that they may obtain additional funding.
Don't forget about all of the nuclear testing.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:54 AM

1,086 posts, read 745,724 times
The good and bad after one week of living here.

Overall- LOVE IT!

Supermarket seems a lot cheaper than Nor Cal.

Gas cheaper of course than Cali.

Golden Knights watch parties are super fun.

The stoplights are FOREVER LONG. OMG! They are so slow to change. They don't seem to have automation that changes based on immediate traffic.

Drivers drive significantly faster and more aggressive than Nor Cal. Not saying that is good or bad as it's just perspective but after a week I find myself driving much faster and more aggressively to stay with the flow.

Overall A+ so far!

Go Knights Go!

Old 06-19-2021, 11:49 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,708,831 times
"The stoplights are FOREVER LONG. OMG! They are so slow to change."

Drives me crazy! It's a huge waste of gas and certainly causes more pollution. I just had my SMOG check done - if it's such an issue here, why don't they get the stoplights timed so people don't sit at them so long when it's not necessary?

Old 06-19-2021, 11:54 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
"The stoplights are FOREVER LONG. OMG! They are so slow to change."

Drives me crazy! It's a huge waste of gas and certainly causes more pollution. I just had my SMOG check done - if it's such an issue here, why don't they get the stoplights timed so people don't sit at them so long when it's not necessary?
I have a mild streak of anarchy in me, and when there is NO traffic in sight I will make a left turn on red as at 73 I'm sick if spending my life at red lights for no good reason. Most of our lights here in Peoria, AZ are intelligent and give a blinking yellow for the left turns but down in Sun City they are still in the dark ages and give a solid red most of the time for left turns. Drives me nuts to sit there with nothing in sight, so I'll go through and be on my way.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-19-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
give a blinking yellow for the left turns
We have those in NV as well. For those from CA, you may enter the intersection on a blinking yellow and make a left turn after yielding to oncoming traffic. Being from CA myself, I LOVE these and the modern freeway system.

Old 06-19-2021, 01:14 PM

One more good thing in NV; you are not required to have a front license plate unless there is a front mounting bracket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas