Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 09:58 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,900,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTee_ View Post
Has it been difficult to find tenant with that size of a house? I'm eyeing a 2450sf 5br house. It has better backyard than ours (some grass for our dog) but it definitely is too much house for 2 people and a dog.
Thinking about turning it into a rental in the meantime but some people say bigger house attracts bigger family, which most likely brings more damage to the property.
Big houses are fine as rentals, just you get little value out of the extra space. Mine rented for $1650 while a 3BR down the street with 1700sf rents for $1550. Big families aren't a major part of the rental market it would seem. Most I can remember having come through had 3 kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 01:04 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,646,986 times
Haha I’m sure we’d get that from new friends, “Oh wow 4,500 square foot house planning to have 6 kids?!” “Nope none.” Haha

Old 07-05-2018, 10:07 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,887,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I have a 2300sf house with 4BR that got on a foreclosure deal that I lived in for a year, but for 2 people and a dog it was ridiculous and just turned into an open invitation for every in-law to come stay which was not the intention.
When the in-laws say they want to come, send them to AirBnB to book one of your spare bedrooms.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:57 AM

102 posts, read 114,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Big houses are fine as rentals, just you get little value out of the extra space. Mine rented for $1650 while a 3BR down the street with 1700sf rents for $1550. Big families aren't a major part of the rental market it would seem. Most I can remember having come through had 3 kids.
Great point there. For ROI purpose, I'm not sure how beneficial it is to go with the bigger sf vs smaller one.

On a separate note, why are single story houses so much more expensive here in LV?
I just saw a 1,400sf that costs more than a 2 story 2,500 sf.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:07 PM

96 posts, read 80,778 times
Quote:
Great point there. For ROI purpose, I'm not sure how beneficial it is to go with the bigger sf vs smaller one.

On a separate note, why are single story houses so much more expensive here in LV?
I just saw a 1,400sf that costs more than a 2 story 2,500 sf.
Simply because single story is more convenient and higher in demand (especially for those who think about older ages) - I think it always has been like that, everywhere.
But it is cheaper and easier to move, when it is single story, since nobody needs to drag the furniture to second floor.

And also, first floor condo is always more expensive and higher in demand, than the other floors in 55+ communities - so it is not about sq footage.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectras View Post
Simply because single story is more convenient and higher in demand (especially for those who think about older ages) - I think it always has been like that, everywhere.
But it is cheaper and easier to move, when it is single story, since nobody needs to drag the furniture to second floor.

And also, first floor condo is always more expensive and higher in demand, than the other floors in 55+ communities - so it is not about sq footage.
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

I'm even 40 yet and already am complaining about having to climb up the stairs back to the bedroom at night LOL

Old 07-05-2018, 04:30 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,267,991 times
Maybe it's just because I look so often, but it seems the prices get higher and more ridiculous by the week.?

We can't find anything in Summerlin that meets our budget and wants list. I refuse to overpay for a house with zero upgrades just because it's in a good area. One of my MIL's clients has been waiting for months for something in Summerlin with the same problem.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Maybe it's just because I look so often, but it seems the prices get higher and more ridiculous by the week.?

We can't find anything in Summerlin that meets our budget and wants list. I refuse to overpay for a house with zero upgrades just because it's in a good area. One of my MIL's clients has been waiting for months for something in Summerlin with the same problem.
I was looking for months, and watching Summerlin and surrounding - and none could fit my pretty simple must list: 1 story (no stairs)+ gated + large backyard that can fit the pool.

Most of the time, I could not fit the last requirement...there were all small or no backyard at all.
Or, if it has large backyard, it is not gated...

So we gave up with Summerlin, and found nice home at NW

Old 07-05-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post

Same boat here. Making me feel if I might not get anything at all and starting to wish I didn't wait (i know... pointless wishful thinking) but can't help it when smaller, older, and cheaper house than our current one will cost us higher mortgage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectras View Post
I was looking for months, and watching Summerlin and surrounding - and none could fit my pretty simple must list: 1 story (no stairs)+ gated + large backyard that can fit the pool.

Most of the time, I could not fit the last requirement...there were all small or no backyard at all.
Or, if it has large backyard, it is not gated...

So we gave up with Summerlin, and found nice home at NW
What is the budget for something similar to what you looked for? I'm also looking for a 1 story.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Same boat here. Making me feel if I might not get anything at all and starting to wish I didn't wait (i know... pointless wishful thinking) but can't help it when smaller, older, and cheaper house than our current one will cost us higher mortgage.

What is the budget for something similar to what you looked for? I'm also looking for a 1 story.
We had budget up to 300k (keep in mind we really did not look for huge house, but for 2-3 bdr).
And none could fit it with our three requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas