Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 48,141 times

Advertisements

I just came to Las Vegas this past weekend for a short stay. I found a nice little condo online and met with the owner the day I arrived. It's a 1-bd lower condo at Spanish Palms on Rainbow and Hacienda (a recent condo conversion originally built in 1997). It's touted as a "luxury" condo with granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, tile floors, high ceilings, attached garage, guard gated, etc. The grounds are beautiful with big evergreen trees, palms, lush lawns, and pretty landscaping. The whole place has a great "safe and clean" vibe.

I moved in here Saturday after a quick tour from the landlord-- a real nice young family-man, not a slumlord. They just moved out of here themselves two weeks ago and into their new $400,000 home off Blue Diamond. I signed a three-month lease for $1,000/mo-- a "luxury" price for a one-bedroom, wouldn't you agree?

Later that VERY day as I'm moving in, I noticed the shadow of a bug in the light fixture over the kitchen. I knew right away: it was a cockroach. Of course it's dead, I thought? Maybe the remains of an old pest problem that would certainly have been solved before moving in a tenant? Nope. My boyfriend knocked on the plastic light cover and the bug scurried.

It was completely trapped in the light because it's fixed against the ceiling. Honestly if I hadn't paid the first month and deposit in cash just hours before I would have done a stop-payment on the check and gotten the hell out of here, citing health codes. But I tried to rationalize it, hoping it was a fluke. It must have gotten in from the ceiling between the floorboards above, it's trapped, it won't get into the living space, etc.

So for the next two days we never turn the light off, looking up every time we walk by. We'll find it on different sides of the light, but it never escapes.

Then last night we came home around midnight, and my boyfriend catches a little one running on the floor along the wall in the living room. #$@%&!!

He trapped it in a paper cup, covered it up, put the whole thing in a ziploc and put it in the garage. Evidence, I guess.

I can't live here... Obviously there is a pest problem. I would expect this from a scummy apartment off the strip but for $1,000/mo this is unacceptable and embarassing and gross.

I have bad allergies and asthma, so spraying/fogging is out of the question. And from what I've read online, traps and poison take a couple months to work. My short lease would be over before the problem was taken care of.

So I guess my question is: how common is this? How "acceptable" is this to people out here? Am I being unreasonable to expect a cockroach-free home for this price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 10:55 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
I'm very sorry to read about your story. Please be sure that when you relocate, you don't take any of the little buggers with you.

After all, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Charley - who grew up in the Bronx and understands the horror of what you've experience.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:58 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,659 times
roaches are a fact of life out here (luxury or not)...tell your landlord about the roaches...maybe extermination costs are covered in your lease.

once a month i have a service spray around the outside of my house...takes care of 99.9% of the bugs (sometimes i find a mostly dead one on the patio). if you are completely against spraying, not sure that anywhere you go will be bug free.

best of luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:58 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
The bugs that happen in Vegas...stay in Vegas!

Them there are what they call Luxury Roaches. BUG BUSINESS is BIG BUSINESS out there.

Good luck.

(PS...we have a HUGE COCKROACH problem here in NY...His name is ELIOT SPITZER! )

Old 03-11-2008, 11:13 AM

307 posts, read 927,815 times
In Manhattan you would pay $3500 per month, the roaches come free!

Moving doesn't make sense when you consider the costs and the unknown regarding your next apartment.

Put some Combats and glue traps (they catch other critters also) around the apartment and don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
I'm very sorry to read about your story. Please be sure that when you relocate, you don't take any of the little buggers with you.

After all, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Charley - who grew up in the Bronx and understands the horror of what you've experience.
I grew up in Michigan and never saw a cockroach in my life until coming to Vegas. Michigan gets ants and ladybugs... that's about it.

I've always had a beetle phobia. Cockroaches top that list...

"Cockroaches in the home environment are a health hazard not only because of the risks posed by cockroach antigens to asthma sufferers, but also because they can carry disease-causing germs and because some of the methods traditionally used to eliminate them cause additional health hazards."

...gross gross gross. I'm going out of my mind here. My boyfriend has a flight home booked tomorrow and now I really don't want to stay here by myself... my skin is crawling.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:19 AM

572 posts, read 1,683,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
(PS...we have a HUGE COCKROACH problem here in NY...His name is ELIOT SPITZER! )
OMG, JFK! LOL! Did you see the news conference yesterday. How f'in PISSED did his wife look?

I can just imagine what's going through her head. What is that saying - hath no fury such as a woman scorned? Best part is that they are going to McGreevey's wife for advice to give Mrs. Spitzer... LOL, what a media circus!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Have the landlord spray the apartment, and your issue should be resolved in a day or two. Get over it- you live in the desert now, and there are bugs there- if you keep the place clean and have the landlord spray monthly, they'll become a non-issue. And while the internet is a wonderful place to find info on all of the horrible ills that cockroaches can cause, I think they're generally speaking about places with major infestations- not one roach in the light fixture and one on the floor.

BTW- they're usually most active at night, and tend to be attracted to body heat- have a good night ..........

Old 03-11-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEPNYC View Post
In Manhattan you would pay $3500 per month, the roaches come free!

Moving doesn't make sense when you consider the costs and the unknown regarding your next apartment.

Put some Combats and glue traps (they catch other critters also) around the apartment and don't sweat the small stuff.
Where I come from roaches are something you would expect to find in a filthy trailer park in the ghetto. I feel like such white trash right now.

I'm really suprised there would be roaches in Manhattan. Those are brand new!

There was another thread about this a while back, and a lot of people posted that they'd never had a bug problem here. I'm guessing the fact that this place is 11 years old and attached to other units is the problem... if I move it'll be somewhere brand new and detached.

Or maybe I'll just head back to Michigan earlier than I planned. If this is truly commonplace then Las Vegas is not the place for someone with a phobia..

Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 AM

23,867 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
I'm guessing the fact that this place is 11 years old and attached to other units is the problem... if I move it'll be somewhere brand new and detached.
Won't matter. They're in the sewers, and in a big way.

We lived in a detached house that was built in '05, on the very far northern outskirts of the city. It was literally two blocks until the end of the developed land and the slope started up the mountains. There were roaches there. Not a lot, but they were there.

You can't escape them in Las Vegas. You can keep the problem under control, but you're unlikely to find anyplace that is completely roach free. Regular spraying and keeping a clean living space will keep them in check, but you can't get rid of them completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas