Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:39 AM

6 posts, read 48,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Have the landlord spray the apartment, and your issue should be resolved in a day or two. Get over it- you live in the desert now, and there are bugs there- if you keep the place clean and have the landlord spray monthly, they'll become a non-issue. And while the internet is a wonderful place to find info on all of the horrible ills that cockroaches can cause, I think they're generally speaking about places with major infestations- not one roach in the light fixture and one on the floor.

BTW- they're usually most active at night, and tend to be attracted to body heat- have a good night ..........
If the problem can be resolved with a quick spray, why is there a problem to begin with? The landlord JUST moved out two weeks ago. Shouldn't they have been spraying? There are a few other spots on the fixtures too, of course now I am assuming they are dead roaches but I'm not about to remove the light cover to find out...

Anyway, like I said in my first post I have asthma/allergies so spraying is a health hazard for me. Maybe spraying outside would help but if they're living in the vents and floorboards it won't do any good. Ugh, gross.

And yeah, I'm currently on an airbed on the floor. Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:43 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,232,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvgirl View Post
Where I come from roaches are something you would expect to find in a filthy trailer park in the ghetto. I feel like such white trash right now.

I'm really suprised there would be roaches in Manhattan. Those are brand new!

There was another thread about this a while back, and a lot of people posted that they'd never had a bug problem here. I'm guessing the fact that this place is 11 years old and attached to other units is the problem... if I move it'll be somewhere brand new and detached.

Or maybe I'll just head back to Michigan earlier than I planned. If this is truly commonplace then Las Vegas is not the place for someone with a phobia..
The German Cockroach is quite at home in MI. And in virtually anyplace where humans provide food and water.

We use a monthly peripheral spray as we do not like the furred ones getting into bug spray. That is quite sufficient. However note that any landscaped area in any climate has cockroaches. Anytime you don't believe it just leave a piece of wet carboard under a bush for a couple of days.

An eleven year old apartment building is getting to a worst case. The roaches are well established and no amount of new granite or even heavy spraying is going to get rid of them completely.

However with external spray and internal hygiene they are a non-problem.

Don't pay too much attention to our esteemed moderator Mr Kovac. It is rumored he trains his cockroaches for little shows to entertain the children in his neighborhood..."Bob's Bugs" it is called.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 48,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Won't matter. They're in the sewers, and in a big way.

We lived in a detached house that was built in '05, on the very far northern outskirts of the city. It was literally two blocks until the end of the developed land and the slope started up the mountains. There were roaches there. Not a lot, but they were there.

You can't escape them in Las Vegas. You can keep the problem under control, but you're unlikely to find anyplace that is completely roach free. Regular spraying and keeping a clean living space will keep them in check, but you can't get rid of them completely.
Now that you say that about the sewers I recall that episode on Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe was down in the San Francisco sewers and it was crawling with cockroaches. Thousands of them clinging to the walls, falling on his head, so gross. I guess that means they creep up water drains?

So did that bother you to have them in your expensive new house?

Last May I stayed a night in the Flamingo and went for a walk down through their outdoor habitat. Ended up wandering by the pool and was talking on the phone completely oblivious to the fact that big black roaches where surrounding me. I hung up, went to walk back to the hotel and realized there were a hundred cockroaches scattered for twenty feet in every direction, like a little army. I ran.

I guess that should have been a red flag, huh?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:01 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,139,904 times
haven't seen a roach in 7 yrs.....course that's about when we shipped JFK back to Gnu Yawk......hmmmmmmm

Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,417,204 times
two roaches is hardly a bug problem.

my guess would be is that the landlord wasn't spraying over the winter, and the ones you just saw are the emergence of spring. get on the spraying right away (monthly should be fine), don't leave any food items laying around and you'll be fine.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:57 PM

1,187 posts, read 996,419 times
Quote:
So I guess my question is: how common is this? How "acceptable" is this to people out here? Am I being unreasonable to expect a cockroach-free home for this price?
In Las Vegas, you're not going to find anywhere that doesn't have a really bad roach problem. You're actually lucky to have only found a couple. Being the winter months, you're not going to find as many as you will in the summer. Las Vegas has had a horrible roach problem for decades. No, it's not acceptable, but it's not th landowners fault. They are in the sewers and you just can't get rid of them. It might be easier to get rid of roaches in a single family house, but in a condo or apt, you'donly be able to get rid of them for a short time unless your manager was really good about spraying constantly. Even then, you'll have a problem.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:20 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,520,680 times
Quote:
Last May I stayed a night in the Flamingo and went for a walk down through their outdoor habitat. Ended up wandering by the pool and was talking on the phone completely oblivious to the fact that big black roaches where surrounding me. I hung up, went to walk back to the hotel and realized there were a hundred cockroaches scattered for twenty feet in every direction, like a little army. I ran.
Those are called tourists, silly! They're all over The Strip.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:23 PM

120 posts, read 391,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
In Las Vegas, you're not going to find anywhere that doesn't have a really bad roach problem. You're actually lucky to have only found a couple. Being the winter months, you're not going to find as many as you will in the summer. Las Vegas has had a horrible roach problem for decades. No, it's not acceptable, but it's not th landowners fault. They are in the sewers and you just can't get rid of them. It might be easier to get rid of roaches in a single family house, but in a condo or apt, you'donly be able to get rid of them for a short time unless your manager was really good about spraying constantly. Even then, you'll have a problem.

This is EXACLTY right, she is right on. You can get a handle on them, but they are everywhere, new or old housing. No unit is 100% sealed, and they can squeeze throught the smallest cracks.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:30 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,520,680 times
Cockroaches in Vegas are like acne and diabetes...there's no cure...your only hope is to control it.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:00 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,580,177 times
I agree with the Valley residents.I've never heard of a roach free place.Friends and relatives who live/lived in the valley dealt with them.I have a friend who had a house built in Nov 07 and he has roaches.My cousin lived in a NLV house built in 1991 house and had them too.Why is it such a problem?I'm thinking it's the desert climate but I'm not sure,I don't live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas