Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 03:13 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,374,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyincali View Post
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have read everything I could find on this subject, but I wanted to get more current info. I will be moving to your city soon. I have read all the posts about neighborhoods, but I am looking to buy a house under $100,000. I know that I will be priced out of the best areas, but does anyone have any suggestions?
What is the resistance to getting a Realtor to do the looking. Driving around town is the best way to learn your way around. But unless you get off of the main streets and into the neighborhoods, you'll never know what is there. Even then you'd have to stop and observe the neighborhoods for about a month to see what goes on.

When looking for a house, call a good realtor and give them your criteria. They can got to their computer and single out all the homes in your price range, or whatever else you need, and narrow your search down. Then they will take you to see the homes that you're interested in. Has never cost me a dime to use a realtor to look for homes, and we usually go in their car.

BTW to O/P. For under $100,000 I doubt you'll find a decent home in a decent neighborhood, if you can find anything at all. You'd be better off renting in a better location, IMO. I don't know this for sure, but I imagine a mortgage under $100,000 would be for a short period of time. For what would probably be close to the same monthly payment, I'd think you could get a much better house with a 30 year mortgage for about the same payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 03:19 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,374,099 times
I doubt if anyone has ever died from a scorpion sting, or a black widow bite, unless they were highly allergic to it.

Even rattlesnake bites seldom kill anyone unless they do something stupid. A drunk at Lake Mead died from one a few years ago because he was so drunk he laid down under a tree and didn't seek medical help. Apparently he had decided to play with the snake. But things like that are rare.

If you live on the edge of the desert you will see more critters than in developed communities, because YOU invaded THEIR home.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:36 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
I have spent considerable time in Vegas since the 1970's and I have lived here full time since 2008. I have yet to see a scorpion. And I am a critter spotter. I tend to see creatures others miss.

Saw Black Widows when I lived in Utah. Plenty of scorpions and tarantulas in Texas but never here!

Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 PM

35 posts, read 48,624 times
we have black widows, scorpions, and really big roof rats. like huge ones.

the black widows and scorpions like rock and stick mostly near construction areas. they mostly get wiped out when construction finishes.

just beware of the cats bringing in rats as toys. my dog did it once when he was a puppy and promptly learned to never ever do that again.

Last edited by Spades45; 08-13-2014 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 08:18 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,304,135 times
I've been in Phoenix less than a year and have had 2 scorpions in my apartment and have killed 2 black widows that were right outside my back door. Can't take any chances with those suckers with my furbabies running around.

A friend lives in Henderson and has seen several scorpions in her condo as well as a rattlesnake on her front step in the last 6 months.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:30 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,539,970 times
just think... when you are sleeping so peacefully at night, these little critters are quietly crawling all over your skin.

:P

Old 08-14-2014, 08:33 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,304,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
just think... when you are sleeping so peacefully at night, these little critters are quietly crawling all over your skin.

:P

I doubt it, I am guarded by 2 chihuahuas at night LOL

Scorpions freak me the :::bleep::: out, though.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:03 PM

550 posts, read 638,364 times
My pest control guy was just here dealing with my non scorpion issue. He said that the area that has been keeping him the busiest is the Anthem and Seven Hills area, in Henderson. The main complaints up there have been roof rats and scorpions. There has been a big uptick in "wildlife" around that area for the past few years, including coyote. Also, I think most problems are really a house to house issue. Get a pest inspection before buying and have them come in the day and after dark, with a black light.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:37 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,474,473 times
We have been in the Pest Industry in Vegas for over 15 years, and honestly they are every where now. Not to say that every house has them. But we do have customers in every part of town that we do Scorpion Treatments for. North Las Vegas, NW Vegas, Summerlin, Mountains Edge, East side, and Henderson. Some customers have found quite a bit, and others maybe one or two a year. I have had customers who have lived in their home for over 5 years, never seen them before but have started seeing them here and there. Our weather also plays a factor also. Most insects will hibernate in the winter time, but if we have a warm winter they just keep reproducing, which is why we see quite a bit in the summer. Also, the rain will bring in most insects, they are just like you and I trying to get to somewhere out of the rain.

When looking for a home, we really can not tell you yes you will have them or no you don't just by telling us the neighborhood. I have quite a few customers in different neighborhoods, where one may have seen them but the others have not. I also have a couple of neighborhoods, where all our customers in there have them. All insects can really just show up when they want, most are just looking for a food source and water source. So if you water a lot, or have a pool, and do not get a semi regular pest control service, you are providing a food and water source for Spiders and Scorpions.

When looking for a new home, I always suggest looking at the outside at night, that is when most insects are active. Take a UV/Black light flashlight with you, and do a hunt for Scorpions. The Scorpions will glow a bright green. Make sure to do the inspection at least an hour or two after the sun sets.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:24 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,539,970 times
do scorpions have any natural enemies?

like perhaps spiders or pray mantis?

I found three in my home over the last week... two in the garage, seems normal and one right by my head near my bed... not very fun. I see them all the time outside in my yard yet I have no idea how they are getting in my home. doors and windows are very secure... perhaps the drains?

PM me BB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas