Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2007, 12:27 AM
cmc cmc started this thread

2 posts, read 38,095 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving from Arizona and is concerned about scorpions. In Arizona we have bark scorpions that crawl up the walls and are the most deadliest in the US. I hate them. I hate to look at them and kill them. Can anyone tell me about the scorpions in Austin. Are they bark scorpions also, which are deadly? I don't mind other critters but scorpions really freak me out. Are there any areas where there are none? Can the big black ones climb the walls? I have small kids and would like to avoid them if possible. Please help! Thanks!

Old 01-07-2007, 08:46 AM

123 posts, read 718,094 times
To be honest, I have been here five months now and have not seen one scorpion. (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!)

I'm in a suburb, so I can't speak for the city. And since I'm knew, I don't know what types of scorpions are around.

Good Luck on your move!

Old 01-07-2007, 11:28 AM

122 posts, read 180,124 times
Cant remember the last time i found one at my house in Austin. I did find one at the ranch this year and I was suprised.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:52 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
I've lived in the city for two years now and haven't seen a scorpion. Haven't seen a roach either, if that helps.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:47 PM

216 posts, read 996,009 times
Default Yippee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
I've lived in the city for two years now and haven't seen a scorpion. Haven't seen a roach either, if that helps.
You have made my day!
Thank-you

Old 01-07-2007, 01:55 PM

106 posts, read 583,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc View Post
Hello, I am moving from Arizona and is concerned about scorpions. In Arizona we have bark scorpions that crawl up the walls and are the most deadliest in the US. I hate them. I hate to look at them and kill them. Can anyone tell me about the scorpions in Austin. Are they bark scorpions also, which are deadly? I don't mind other critters but scorpions really freak me out. Are there any areas where there are none? Can the big black ones climb the walls? I have small kids and would like to avoid them if possible. Please help! Thanks!
Well, now that everyone has said they haven't seen a scorpion... Bad news...

I lived in Austin for 5 years back in the early 90's and I never saw a scorpion either. I had a house in Cedar Park and I commuted to IBM in northern Austin. Never saw one in any of my travels around the city.

But... A friend of mine had a house in Steiner Ranch which is up in the hills west of Austin. She said her south facing wall was frequently covered with scorpions--apparently sunning themselves. She's found a few in the house and a few were in her linen closet. Ugh...

Funny I never saw any in Cedar Park. Maybe they only congregate in certain areas, I don't know.

If you are moving to a specific area, might want to ask the neighbors first!

Old 01-07-2007, 04:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,761 times
I just moved here from AZ also, never having seen a scorpion in our house there, and we backed to about 50 acres of open desert. Here, we live in River Place, in the very hilly part of hill country and we saw a live one in our garage and a couple of dead ones under sinks when we first moved in. We had the house fully sprayed by an exterminator and have had no problems since.

As with AZ, I think it all depends on whether the house is built on top of a scorpion nest or colony or whatever they call them. One house can have them and the house next door has no problems.. in either case, just have your house sprayed like you probably do in AZ and it will take care of a lot of the critter problems!

Old 01-07-2007, 08:10 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
The scorpions are not deadly here, unless you happen to be allergic to them. The stings are very similar to a wasp sting. They are generally a redish tan color, not black.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 28,512 times
My wife and I just moved into a brand new home in south east Austin off of Slaughter and Bradshaw. I have lived in Austin since 05 and never saw them in the highly populated northern section of the city where we used to reside.

My greatest concern is my cats. They actuallly found the tiny intruder and am worred about a cats ability to ward off the poison of a sting if it does occur...

Curious in South Austin

Old 05-13-2010, 07:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
The scorpion found in the Austin area is called the striped bark scorpion and it is not deadly.

Striped bark scorpion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see them fairly regularly (several times a year) both in and outside my house. I live in a semi-rural area. When we built our first house years ago - in Lakeway - we saw them regularly for the first year or two. They became less and less common over time.

I don't like them but there is no reason to be alarmed. I have been stung twice. I also have three cats who surely have encountered them but have nevered suffered any harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin